New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1342220 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9720 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:59 AM »
I spend the day trying to get Rowan on a fish. He nailed a nice trout on the jigging rod.   Marked a ton a fish but not as active as last week. I found out the hard way that our sonar interferes with each other over 65 ft. I let Rowan fish with the sonar. I could see the shadow of my jig on his graph and landed 2 shorts lol.

Offline dr p

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9721 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:52 PM »
been a while since i worked my magic on the king,  116 fatties nothing under 10.5 and a personal best of 13.75"  i can only thank my ancestors and those who help to preserve the king   for the endless bounty of fish and joy it provides.  mother nature is god

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9722 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:08 PM »
been a while since i worked my magic on the king,  116 fatties nothing under 10.5 and a personal best of 13.75"  i can only thank my ancestors and those who help to preserve the king   for the endless bounty of fish and joy it provides.  mother nature is god

That's a heck of a day.  Nice work!  I was on champlain last weekend and caught about the same amount but nothing over 10.5.  Kept me busy but not exactly what I was hoping for.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9723 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Thanks Spoon. I have been waiting for someone to answer your question. I'm going to Hearthstone Friday morning for the first time ever. I will be on foot. How long of walk is it to laker water? Not looking for your spot just an idea of where to start. Thanks

Look at nacionics obviously, but any deeper flats and transitions are good to start at, I was walk-in too. I didn’t go all that far, there’s one little shelf on tight out off the parking lot, that I didn’t fish it’s time, but I have in the past and it’s only like a hundred yards out or so.  Good luck let us k ow how you do.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9724 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Lil tidbit I picked up playing with some finicky lakers last weekend.
My first couple hours were extremely frustrating with nothing working until I started to reel faster.

That method has worked for new at times too, but just when you figure them out they change!
I was stunned with how quick of a retrieve I had to make to get them to commit. I also couldn't hesitate with a marked fish. If I wasn't on it immediately and racing up to the surface the fish would lose interest after a maddening chase all the way up to my feet.
The first 2 hours were a goose egg until I figured them out.
Bottom blast. Followed by a dead stick 15' up. Start screaming up as soon as I saw a mark. No twitch or pause. Just reel. Finicky fish became more aggressive than anything I've seen. I might be finally figuring this laker crap out.
6 fish hit like this in an hour. I took the hour as a win and moved in for perch!  ;D

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9725 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:42 PM »

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9726 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Ssmokin—
I fished huddle today with my two boys (5&11).  The walk was a little tough when you’re not on a machines path.  But wasn’t the worst ever.

Perch bite was pretty good today too so that was a plus.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9727 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Ssmokin—
I fished huddle today with my two boys (5&11).  The walk was a little tough when you’re not on a machines path.  But wasn’t the worst ever.

Perch bite was pretty good today too so that was a plus.

Thanks.

How much ice out there? Any chance did you go past the island? I’m not bringing my sons yfz50 tomorrow. I’m bringing my Polaris sportsman 500 for the first time this year. Access is OK for a atv at huddle bay road? That can get sketchy with the bubler...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9728 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Good idea to not bring his probably.  I did not go past the island.  We went out of huddle bay rd and went to the left and out (towards the marina sort of).  There was a foot of ice. 

Your atv will be fine going out of there.  There’s a good trail that goes right between the two bubblers (in fact they were taking them through there last week and it is in a lot better condition than it was then)-you’ll be good with the plan you have.

Good luck-let me know how you guys make out.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9729 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Good idea to not bring his probably.  I did not go past the island.  We went out of huddle bay rd and went to the left and out (towards the marina sort of).  There was a foot of ice. 

Your atv will be fine going out of there.  There’s a good trail that goes right between the two bubblers (in fact they were taking them through there last week and it is in a lot better condition than it was then)-you’ll be good with the plan you have.

Good luck-let me know how you guys make out.

Great. Thanks. Was it busy out there today? I hafto bring my trailer so hopefully there is room. I won’t be there until probably 9am or so.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9730 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Here is a free navigation map for LG. Its pretty close.
Click on and you can zoom in on the contours.
http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=Lake+George+boating+app#14.48/43.4581/-73.6859/-6.2

Yeah, it shows a lot of contours but I think most are interpolated.  I know for a fact that Sawmill Bay (vet's) is a lot deeper than what the map shows, especially closer in to the park.  I suspect they took something like the NYS depth map and just made up a lot of extra contour lines. 

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9731 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:57 PM »
ok, I finally had to post this:

How come I never read posts of anybody ever catching a salmon???   I love catching them ...a lot more fun than lakers. At least in my opinion.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9732 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:01 PM »
ok, I finally had to post this:

How come I never read posts of anybody ever catching a salmon???   I love catching them ...a lot more fun than lakers. At least in my opinion.

Because the ones that catch them are smart and don’t post about it.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9733 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:06 PM »
              If you noticed the front end of the trucks went under before the rear ends, therefor the exhaust couldn't act like an ice eater. I would believe it more like
              a hole drilled or the ice just cracked enough for water to come up through! I've seen this before!

IW
[/quote
              I hate to keep dwelling on this but if you notice in the picture the water is deeper on the right, that would mean that is where it started from, again I
              believe it came from a hole drilled. Several years ago 5 truck went through in the same spot and someone had drilled a hole

IW

I live back in the woods you see

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9734 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:23 PM »
This.

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9735 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Is there a way to park over by Glen Burnie in the North part of the lake?. I want to get out to that water. Been hearing guys say you can park out there somewhere but do not want to get towed. Any info would be great. Been having a great year in the south end for lake trout so far, tubes seem to be key for me

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9736 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:41 PM »
This.

This is just rediculous. The lake is 32 miles long. Who cares if you post it. There’s already 8 million guys on the ice. If I caught one I’d definitely post it up. I’m not going to tell you the area but if your not posting a pic of a beautiful salmon you caught because you think it’s going to ruin the salmon fishing is just outrageous. Lol.

As far as the lake trout bite for me this year has been nothing but frustration. The areas I did real well in last year have been skunks and maybe 5 or so fish. Some days they won’t chase more then 10 feet and some days they want nothing but suckers. I jigged up 10 Cisco’s and a few smelt and didn’t mark more then 3 lake trout on Monday.

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9737 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:47 PM »
This is just rediculous. The lake is 32 miles long. Who cares if you post it. There’s already 8 million guys on the ice. If I caught one I’d definitely post it up. I’m not going to tell you the area but if your not posting a pic of a beautiful salmon you caught because you think it’s going to ruin the salmon fishing is just outrageous. Lol.

As far as the lake trout bite for me this year has been nothing but frustration. The areas I did real well in last year have been skunks and maybe 5 or so fish. Some days they won’t chase more then 10 feet and some days they want nothing but suckers. I jigged up 10 Cisco’s and a few smelt and didn’t mark more then 3 lake trout on Monday.

Where have you been fishing, south basin?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9738 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Great. Thanks. Was it busy out there today? I hafto bring my trailer so hopefully there is room. I won’t be there until probably 9am or so.

No, wasn’t busy really at all.  My truck and four other trucks about.

Plenty of parking-different story if it was a Saturday or Sunday though

Fishmon

« Reply #9739 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:31 PM »
They love to chase. That’s why many of us use baitcasting reels with a higher gear ratio. Less work to reel fast.

Had to laugh when I saw this thread.  My baitcaster got a workout today.  Lakers were finicky and would only respond if you turned up the heat.  Those baitcasting reels are great for this kind of fishing.  Those finicky fish can go from 0 to 60 when they get mad enough.  Used a lure that vibrates like crazy which I am sure got them PO enough to go into another gear.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9740 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:41 PM »

Not everyone cares about social media man. You would be surprised how many old timers actually go out there targeting salmon and are catching them. Do you think they care about putting up pics? No... I know a guy that has caught several this season. Hasn’t posted a single one on the internet, just because he doesn’t care.

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9741 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Not everyone cares about social media man. You would be surprised how many old timers actually go out there targeting salmon and are catching them. Do you think they care about putting up pics? No... I know a guy that has caught several this season. Hasn’t posted a single one on the internet, just because he doesn’t care.
I know 2 guys that fish together and go after salmon and lakers on George about twice a week. There success is crazy for them. They both upgraded to the Humminbird Helix 7 ice this year and said what a game changer it is. Both want nothing to do with social media personally and only use it for there business. Lets just say the smoked fillets are dynamite! I smoke there fillets for them in our Bradley smoker 😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9742 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:08 PM »

I agree and know people like that as well.  Perchinmybucket I never thought id see the day where the cape cod canal could be full of guys at 2am in the morning.  10 years ago maybe a two dozen of us on any given weeknight.  Fast forward to today and because of social media its insanely packed.  Some of which is great...the local businesses are happy, people catching are happy.  Cars getting broken into more, more violence, more drama and many different types of people from ALL walks of life became aware of the fishing and now partake.  Any reasonable person can understand that even natural resources have a limit.  In the case of the canal its fishing space and fish.  Lake george no different.  If the few guys who caught constantly posted publically it would be natural for others to try for salmon when they may have never had the thought.  Much like I would have never started fishing LG if I didn't read this thread one day.  Any good sportsman should want to foster participation. We need it terribly. However times have changed and being careful about how much limelight we put on a specific area or species is part of being a good sportsman, at least that's how I feel.  You take nothing away from the beautiful salmon if you don't name the spot.  Its still a beautiful salmon. 

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9743 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:50 AM »
Yeah, it shows a lot of contours but I think most are interpolated.  I know for a fact that Sawmill Bay (vet's) is a lot deeper than what the map shows, especially closer in to the park.  I suspect they took something like the NYS depth map and just made up a lot of extra contour lines.

If you go to the Navionics site and use their chart viewer (you can look for free) you will see quite a difference.  Looks to me like the Navionics map is much better and not just someone filling in contour lines.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #9744 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:41 AM »
Not everyone needs to Brag and Fluff up their Ego !

Where have you been fishing, south basin?
Paul

Offline jig em

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9745 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Anyone have a update on ice conditions on the north end of the lake friends point area? Thank you in advance.

Fishmon

« Reply #9746 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Anyone have a update on ice conditions on the north end of the lake friends point area? Thank you in advance.

Snow covered, 3-4 inches of crusty snow.  Not bad walking or for ATV/sled.  Ice varies from 7-10 inches in most places.  Watch out for ridges or dock bubblers.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9747 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:42 AM »
If you go to the Navionics site and use their chart viewer (you can look for free) you will see quite a difference.  Looks to me like the Navionics map is much better and not just someone filling in contour lines.

Agreed that map from iBoating.com is highly inaccurate. Use the navionics WebApp: https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@8&key=eeeiG%7Cpn_M

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9748 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Fished the dropoff at Pilot straight off the beach solo yesterday. Set up the blue Clam at 90 FOW, put out 4 traps over 100' for salmon, 2 a little shallower for lakers and jigged until my arm fell off. Ended up with one 20" laker on a salmon trap on an icicle 3 feet under the ice over 115 FOW. What?

Had decent activity on the sonar but they wouldn't commit and I ran through the entire arsenal...tubes, swimbaits, rattle baits, metals. Upsized, downsized, bounced the bottom, reeled slow, reeled fast. Smelt oil on everything. Still a beautiful day to be out but man was that frustrating. Lot of fish hugging the bottom but wound't hit and wouldn't chase. Can't wait to be back  ;D

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9749 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Fished the dropoff at Pilot straight off the beach solo yesterday. Set up the blue Clam at 90 FOW, put out 4 traps over 100' for salmon, 2 a little shallower for lakers and jigged until my arm fell off. Ended up with one 20" laker on a salmon trap on an icicle 3 feet under the ice over 115 FOW. What?

Had decent activity on the sonar but they wouldn't commit and I ran through the entire arsenal...tubes, swimbaits, rattle baits, metals. Upsized, downsized, bounced the bottom, reeled slow, reeled fast. Smelt oil on everything. Still a beautiful day to be out but man was that frustrating. Lot of fish hugging the bottom but wound't hit and wouldn't chase. Can't wait to be back  ;D

Just Got off the ice from there, lost 2 ciscos on the way up and marked probably 6 lakers, only 2 chased it, and the others were hugging the bottom something fierce. got frustrated and went to work... lol!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.