New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1341729 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8940 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:49 PM »
You guys are too easy...I'm breaking stones.  I don't fish Harris and never would. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8941 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:13 PM »
You guys are too easy...I'm breaking stones.  I don't fish Harris and never would.

I have never fished it either.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8942 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I have never fished it either.

I tried one year midday after spending the entire morning out deep...saw the madness and was deterred.  It would be fun to pike fish that spot.

TJM makes a good point...I've come across plenty of illegally placed no trespassing signs. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8943 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:46 PM »
actually  you can get a trespassing ticket on any piece of property you don't have actual owner permission ....always  stop and go knock on the door

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8944 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I tried one year midday after spending the entire morning out deep...saw the madness and was deterred.  It would be fun to pike fish that spot.

TJM makes a good point...I've come across plenty of illegally placed no trespassing signs.

I have heard it’s a decent pike spot. However, I have no interest in targeting pike on LG. Mainly because I have never seen or heard of a BIG one caught there. Which is strange to me. Me and joe Greco has a pretty deep convo about it while walleye fishing this fall. It’s odd there are never any 25-30lb+ pike caught in that place.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8945 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:11 PM »
People are too preoccupied with trout there.  There are definelty pike that size in the lake.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they shock some when they survey the lake.

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8946 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:25 PM »
People are too preoccupied with trout there.  There are definelty pike that size in the lake.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they shock some when they survey the lake.
I’m sure there are you just can’t jig up 20-30 a day like lakers... I’m not a patient man.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8947 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:35 PM »

Yeah but with all these fisherman, one would accidentally get caught. Just like how these laker charter guys accidentally catch 6lb smallies or a 7lb largemouth during the summer there while laker trolling. It’s strange.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8948 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:17 PM »
I've seen one pike over 20 lb taken out of LG.  I'm sure there are many of them in there and like said before not a lot of people are targeting them because they are after the trout.  I think the pike are doing the same thing we are.....targeting the trout.  This is a 26" my buddy caught while we were out a few years ago.

AM

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8949 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Those are some interesting markings for sure...

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8950 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:31 PM »
had the same makings on a laker from 4th lake in the ADKS...that is a scary big predator!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8951 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:45 PM »
All I know is I'd rather jig a 20lb laker so until I do I am going to stick to that program. 

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8952 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:20 AM »
I just have to throw my 2 cents in. First biggest laker iv ever seen or heard of being caught on lg came out of Harris bay

Next I have seen at least 3 pike well over 20lbs come out of lg. I dont thi k most people go to LG for pike. If more people spent time relying for pike and using proper baits to target bigger fish I'm sure you would see a lot more +20lbs fish.

Ssmokin not sure why your shocked laker charter boats catch bass and monsters. Iv seen poke and pickerel caught just under the ice and off or near bottom in over 90fow. Why would bass not travel to the depths looking for food. All around the world big fish,eat little fish, that swim like a rapala.

Just for the record im just passing some info here I'm not trying to start an argument or try to convince people to fish Harris bay in fact hope the posted signs keep some peome off Harris place gets crowded as it is lol

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8953 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:30 AM »
I just have to throw my 2 cents in. First biggest laker iv ever seen or heard of being caught on lg came out of Harris bay

Next I have seen at least 3 pike well over 20lbs come out of lg. I dont thi k most people go to LG for pike. If more people spent time relying for pike and using proper baits to target bigger fish I'm sure you would see a lot more +20lbs fish.

Ssmokin not sure why your shocked laker charter boats catch bass and monsters. Iv seen poke and pickerel caught just under the ice and off or near bottom in over 90fow. Why would bass not travel to the depths looking for food. All around the world big fish,eat little fish, that swim like a rapala.

Just for the record im just passing some info here I'm not trying to start an argument or try to convince people to fish Harris bay in fact hope the posted signs keep some peome off Harris place gets crowded as it is lol

im curious....but how big was that laker you saw caught from harris? depending on its size, that might not be the biggest one I know of to come from LG...and mine didnt come from a bay.

I am not shocked laker charters catch big bass accidentally. Actually, I am a firm believer that the majority of big bass live deeper then most bass fisherman ever fish, and I get the majority of my biggest bass in those depths. Im just saying those bass caught while laker fishing, are accidents. You would think a "accident" giant pike would show up here and there either through the ice or open water by someone who is not targeting them.

ooo and I know big fish eat little fish. They also eat big fish. Heck, my PB pike came from 4' of water on a lucky craft 1.5 squarebill while bass fishing. You just never know.

I would love to see a pic of a LG 25lb+ pike. I bet the markings are like no other.

Fishmon

« Reply #8954 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Rich Ortiz has caught some monsters in LG.  I am sure he has pictures.  As for myself, I saw a 22# and a 26# northern caught in mid 80s out in front of Sagamore  hotel.  Have not seen one that big in years.  Also, DEC biologists have probably netted some that big or bigger while doing census studies at end of northwest bay. ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8955 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:05 AM »

That's a lot of words Logan.

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8956 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:08 AM »
anything frozen yet?? bays? ???
weekend hooker!

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8957 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:15 AM »
My apologies if my previous post about seeing the chain and posted signs was misleading. I’m not suggesting people trespass. I seldom fish there, as I prefer deep water lakers. But I often drive by Harris and see the crowd and the mess and hear the complaints about it as well as people not being far enough off the road.

As for northern’s, I’ve seen some or Richie’s slammers and have a photo from a 22-pounder my buddy caught about ten years ago, or more, that won the tournament they used to have. If you talk to anyone who dives in Lake George, they’ll tell you there are both enormous pike and lakers in there. So big, you’d think twice before you went skinny-dipping.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8958 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:30 PM »
My apologies if my previous post about seeing the chain and posted signs was misleading. I’m not suggesting people trespass. I seldom fish there, as I prefer deep water lakers. But I often drive by Harris and see the crowd and the mess and hear the complaints about it as well as people not being far enough off the road.

As for northern’s, I’ve seen some or Richie’s slammers and have a photo from a 22-pounder my buddy caught about ten years ago, or more, that won the tournament they used to have. If you talk to anyone who dives in Lake George, they’ll tell you there are both enormous pike and lakers in there. So big, you’d think twice before you went skinny-dipping.

I dive in lG before. The fish population is insane. Smallies specifically. We didn’t see any lakers or pike tho. I have heard the stories you are talking about tho... same stories said about toga pike near snake hill and the pike in ballston that gave the diver a “heart attack” and she drowned. Trust me.... fish look bigger under water when you are with them. Except a 15’ tiger shark... last time I did that trip.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8959 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:05 AM »
The 10 day forecast is looking pretty good with no days above freezing and low winds.  The next 3 days especially.  This might be our shot!

AM

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8960 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:47 AM »
The 10 day forecast is looking pretty good with no days above freezing and low winds.  The next 3 days especially.  This might be our shot!

Water temp looks good now we need the wind to calm down
Go big or go home

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8961 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:53 AM »
If there is no wind with the temps for the next 3 days/ nights all the bays should lock up. Main lake might remain open.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8962 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Its windy.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8963 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Its windy.

I think the wind stops Saturday night. Then again, what do the weather men know anymore.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8964 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:41 AM »
My fingers are crossed.  I'm anxious to get out tomorrow somewhere.  Work is dragging.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8965 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:57 AM »
So I take it guys nothing is locked up on The King yet guys?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8966 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:01 AM »
So I take it guys nothing is locked up on The King yet guys?

I’m sure areas of the back bays that are not affected by the wind are starting... but anywhere the wind can get too, forget it. That wind has been Ripping for almost 24 hours now.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8967 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:04 PM »
I can’t wait until we get some good ice. Me and Rowan have been building an epic tow sled for the long 10 mile trips ! I’ll have to review my videos from last season to get my directions to the hot spots lol

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8968 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Yep, next few days look promising if water is cold enough.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8969 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Yep, next few days look promising if water is cold enough.

(Image removed from quote.)

Water is cold enough.
Air will be cold enough

Will the wind cooperate? That’s the one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.