The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: santa came!  (Read 2420 times)

Offline wyoiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
santa came!
« on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:58 AM »
My wife got me the new eskimo fat fish and a new Mr buddy heater. I'm thinking she wants to go now. Ha thanks honey!
Fish On!!! Will it make book?

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
Re: santa came!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Sounds great! I'll have to take a peak at those Fat Fishes if I ever see one on the ice. Don't use them, but kids are getting old enough to go along soon and might be in the market next season.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Mr. buddy heaters are awesome! I was at a field camp in Alaska for four months and it was the only thing that kept me going! We got a hose adaptor to hook it to a 5gal propane tank instead of carrying a bunch of those little ones. You will love it!
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:39 PM »
That mr buddy thing worries me. I'm planning an overnight trip to Christina lake above lander next month and it's about 10,400ft. It would really suck if it quit in the middle of the night.  ???  Anyway, speaking of santa coming, for Christmas I got an Eskimo Fat Fish 949I, a mr. buddy big buddy, Arctic Mucks and a birthday present in the form of a Pro 4 in October. I won't know what to do with all this new stuff.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:50 PM »
We had just a standard Mr. buddy heater and it would last 6-8 hours on the low setting, and that was at a comfortable t-shirt temp. We lived in a 'weatherport' which is basically a modern-day walltent, 14x10ft or so. If you took two or three of those small propane bottles you would be fine for a night at Christina.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:55 PM »
That mr buddy thing worries me. I'm planning an overnight trip to Christina lake above lander next month and it's about 10,400ft. It would really suck if it quit in the middle of the night.  ???  Anyway, speaking of santa coming, for Christmas I got an Eskimo Fat Fish 949I, a mr. buddy big buddy, Arctic Mucks and a birthday present in the form of a Pro 4 in October. I won't know what to do with all this new stuff.

Christina would be awesome this time of year!!!! I have never fished it hard water but have caught some nice lakers in the fall from the northwest shore below the peak.... Beutifull country!!!!

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:14 PM »
\ If you took two or three of those small propane bottles you would be fine for a night at Christina.
I was actually thinging of taking a bbq bottle. That should work fine shouldn't it?

Christina would be awesome this time of year!!!! I have never fished it hard water but have caught some nice lakers in the fall from the northwest shore below the peak.... Beutifull country!!!!
I've never fished it in the winter either. We've always wanted to do it but never made time.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:31 PM »
I was actually thinging of taking a bbq bottle. That should work fine shouldn't it?
I've never fished it in the winter either. We've always wanted to do it but never made time.

Wyofarmer I dought if the Buddy heaters will work at 10,400 ft. they have a oxegen sensor in them that shuts them down if the oxegen get low in your tent or what ever your heating. That is the samme setting as if you are about 7,000 + ft. Mine will work fine to about 8300 ft then after that it will not even stay lighted..... I had to buuy a Olympia Wave heater a lot more expencive.. mine is the smallest a Wave 3 1500 to 3500 btu's and cost about $300. they have two more bigger sizes but for me the Wave 3 works fine. and they are garanteed to work at 12000 ft. The wave 3 I got when I am elk hunting on low with a 30 lb tank will last about a month at 1500btu's Good luck and sta;yy warm.... Benwyo.....

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:46 PM »
WYOFARMER there is a post that talks about the problems with the buddie heater and it is in the wyoming section at "CHEAP Carbon Monoxide tester for hut"

This might tell more.... they work wonderful under that around 8000 ft level. Everyone i know that has one says the same thing or have the same trouble because of the oxegen sensor...

Benwyo  :tipup:

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:48 PM »
It is on the second page about a little over half way down..... good luck  Benwyo....

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:51 PM »
I don't know about the elevation thing, we were only at about 1000ft., but a 30lb tank will last you a loooooong time.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:03 AM »
I'm defeniatly going to look into it a lot deeper. That would not be good to get up there and have that thing not work. We plan on staying in the FF 949I.

Offline woodland689

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:00 PM »
We used to fish christina on ice back in the day. The colder and windier it is the better luck we had. If it is warm and nice, mite as well go play on the sleds. If you can stay warm you will have a blast.

Offline jigaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:42 PM »
My Buddy heater was worthless untill I put the in line filter on it. Seems to work fine now. We usedit to heat the 10X12 wall tent with no problems this elk season. I also had a back up Mister Heater that we didnt use but had it just in case.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I'm defeniatly going to look into it a lot deeper. That would not be good to get up there and have that thing not work. We plan on staying in the FF 949I.

Wyofarmer, all you have to do is read the manual that came with it. In that manual it specifily says will not run over 7000 ft. but like i say mine will still go up to 8200 - 8300 after that it will not run. I have even tried the filter deal and it does not make any differece. The filter is mostly just to keep junk from your tank and not to clog the orfice.
good luck my friends.
Benwyo

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I think any non vented catylatic heater (low oxy sensor or not) has the potential to be dangerous. I sure wish they would come up with a compact ventable unit.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:10 PM »
I think any non vented catylatic heater (low oxy sensor or not) has the potential to be dangerous. I sure wish they would come up with a compact ventable unit.

There are a few small vented (Side) propane heaters available... I have found about three on the market and am looking into buying one of them... For example Northern Tool has a Direct-Vent Slim Profile Wall heater.... 8000 btu's and size is 21"H 18"W and 8"D. It is vented through walls 4.5" to 12" thick. Has a built in thermost and thermocouple safty valve. Item # 163982-1202 for propane....
Benwyo

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Always use a corbon monoxide detecter with any heaters inside tent, camps, Ice shanty huts or what ever. The old most important think is proper crossflow ventalation...... This is where you can not skimp. It could mean a life....
Amen.
Benwyo...... I want to see my friends on the ice........  ;)

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Wyofarmer, all you have to do is read the manual that came with it. In that manual it specifily says will not run over 7000 ft. but like i say mine will still go up to 8200 - 8300 after that it will not run. I have even tried the filter deal and it does not make any differece. The filter is mostly just to keep junk from your tank and not to clog the orfice.
good luck my friends.
Benwyo
Thanks Ben. I talked to a guy and he confirmed just what you said. I think we will use something else and leave the vents open and the door cracked......or we can just stay up all night and catch fish... ;D ;D

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Thanks Ben. I talked to a guy and he confirmed just what you said. I think we will use something else and leave the vents open and the door cracked......or we can just stay up all night and catch fish... ;D ;D

Your Welcome Wyofarmer and please stay safe...... I am glad I could help, save you people from the trouble of a freezing night....
Benwyo :tipup:

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I am glad I could help, save you people from the trouble of a freezing night....
Benwyo :tipup:
That we would have. What do you think Wind River Kid? I got a handle on another type of heater that we can use. You got anything?

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:25 AM »
That we would have. What do you think Wind River Kid? I got a handle on another type of heater that we can use. You got anything?

We could cut a hole in the roof of your new fatfish and use a wood stove.  ;D

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:43 AM »
wyofarmer, Confirm what benwyo says, I have a friend who ever year he brings his buddy heater elk hunting we camp at about 8500' and he can never keep it working. Good luck on your trip.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:21 PM »
We could cut a hole in the roof of your new fatfish and use a wood stove.  ;D
I'll do that if you carry the stove in on your back....with some baler twine... ;D ;D ::)

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I'll do that if you carry the stove in on your back....with some baler twine... ;D ;D ::)

Haha. Usually look like the Clampetts hittin the ice anyways. ;D

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Haha. Usually look like the Clampetts hittin the ice anyways. ;D
I wouln't have it any other way. I've got another way to heat the shanty. We're golden. Now we just have to figure out when we're going.

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:22 PM »
I wouln't have it any other way. I've got another way to heat the shanty. We're golden. Now we just have to figure out when we're going.

What did you come up with?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.