The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion G2  (Read 1592 times)

Van Noord

Ion G2
« on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Any thoughts or word on the newest offering from Ion?
Thinking I may pick one up.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ion G2
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:15 AM »
They should've spent less time and money on the commercial and more putting out a quality product for a reasonable price

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:30 AM »
A lot of money to drill a hole in the ice. Thats why most people are now going with a drill set up. At least you can now use the cordless drill year round for other projects.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Interesting commercial. The clay-carving and drawings in the introduction were stupid because everything happens in CAD now. Just dumb marketing of an obsolete concept.

The trouble is that Milwaukee and the other drill companies have scale that cannot be dreamed of by an auger company. The battery technology is being pushed by the construction industry (where power tools MAKE money for the users, not cost money).

In the long term it is inevitable that drills will win. The only question is what drill-specific auger accessories will be used and how they will evolve. The Clam Plate (which I do not own or need) is one example in a long line that will be coming.

Just my "humble" opinion.... :whistle:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Interesting commercial. The clay-carving and drawings in the introduction were stupid because everything happens in CAD now. Just dumb marketing of an obsolete concept.

The trouble is that Milwaukee and the other drill companies have scale that cannot be dreamed of by an auger company. The battery technology is being pushed by the construction industry (where power tools MAKE money for the users, not cost money).

In the long term it is inevitable that drills will win. The only question is what drill-specific auger accessories will be used and how they will evolve. The Clam Plate (which I do not own or need) is one example in a long line that will be coming.

Just my "humble" opinion.... :whistle:

Neither Milwaukee or Ion (or strikemaster for that matter) are developing battery technology, they're buying rights to or licensing use of battery tech from battery companies and putting their name on it. If Ion has made upgrades to their hardware its foolish to think they will not be able to get a competitive battery technology.

Drills will always be a compromise due to having to fill other uses on top of drilling holes in ice. Until a drill company builds an actual auger head, they will continue to be a compromise. Just a matter of whether or not you are willing to accept the performance limitations of that compromise, I am due to rarely drilling into more than 18' of ice where I live.

The true test is if the G2 can compete against Strikemaster and the other electric augers on the market, time will tell.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.