Author Topic: ion parts info and a ?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ion parts info and a ?
« on: Apr 02, 2019, 03:02 PM »
this is a follow up to my ion stub post regarding the lost screw that connects auger flute to stub or directly to power head,
here is the link if anyone needs it direct from ion
https://www.ioniceaugers.com/filterSearch?q=1509&adv=false&cid=0&isc=false&pf=&pt=&sid=false

I found these below on ebay they look the same specs wise but are SS.
any input on if these will work the look to be same thread pattern, im assuming ss  wont be an issue, they prob don't use ss hardware to save a few cents.
https://www.ebay.com/i/263118398418?chn=ps
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ion parts info and a ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Wayne,
1/4 / 20 is a pretty standard 1/4" diameter bolt with a 20 threads/ inch (coarse thread).
SS or stainless steel will prevent or at least resist rust longer depending on the number. SS tends to be harder (more brittle) than a common bolt. Ex. I wouldn't use SS for a sheer bolt. I'd wait for Joe or someone else to chip in, as to weather or not that the SS will snap /sheer in the auger flute? Seems like it would be a lot of torque to me for SS, but I'm not that familiar with Ion augers.   
Both bolts (you listed) will fit in the same thread. 

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:33 PM »
I had mine break in half last week. Went to Aubuchon to get another one and couldn't find one to fit so I got a 1/4"x 2" hex head bolt with (2) combination lock washer/nuts and put that on. Used it today and it worked fine not sure if I will change it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Ss is not good for a shear bolt.most ss is grade 2.my olady works for a nut and bolt distributor and knows all kinds of stuff on fasteners.it good for rust prevention but breaks and strips easy.at least with my experience with it.

sunniewally

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Hard to believe you can't find them in a hardware store. I've seen them in various sizes.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Thanks everyone ill wait until roccus chimes in. Appreciate all the tips. Gonna buy a few once i decide to buy that way i never risk losing one on the ice. Simple thing can be a big problem at the wrong time. 
Salmonemia

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:53 PM »
I lost this part for the first time in 7 years of owning an Ion this past weekend... Bradley Hardware in Wolfeboro had them for 55 cents. Got a few extra...

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2019, 08:34 PM »
I lost this part for the first time in 7 years of owning an Ion this past weekend... Bradley Hardware in Wolfeboro had them for 55 cents. Got a few extra...
Perfect. Wise idea to keep extra.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2019, 06:05 AM »
The factory bolt is grade 8 ,1/4 -20×1"grade 5 or lower may cause an issue ,

If you want to fix it for good, use a grade 8 bolt clean the treads good then  install it with red loc. tite.grease the stub and call it good.. it's a simple thing,no need to.make it a big one.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2019, 06:57 AM »
You can buy a box of 50 alloy black oxide which have 170,000 psi tensile strength  (stronger than grade 8) from McMaster carr, for 8.55, they will deliver out if jersey in a day, or tell me, I've got plenty..
Lowes usually has them, they are also a am from Fastenel...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2019, 07:12 PM »
You can buy a box of 50 alloy black oxide which have 170,000 psi tensile strength  (stronger than grade 8) from McMaster carr, for 8.55, they will deliver out if jersey in a day, or tell me, I've got plenty..
Lowes usually has them, they are also a am from Fastenel...
Rodger that.  Ill hit you up this summer.
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2019, 06:34 AM »
This is what I did to mine to attach the auger shaft to the quick disconnect assembly. I doubt it will fall off without noticing it has loosened. Mine was close to going down the hole if I didn't noticed that the screw broke.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2019, 09:57 AM »
This is what I did to mine to attach the auger shaft to the quick disconnect assembly. I doubt it will fall off without noticing it has loosened. Mine was close to going down the hole if I didn't noticed that the screw broke.

that is awesome I like it, I can totally see someone losing an auger flute.
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2019, 12:56 PM »
that is awesome I like it, I can totally see someone losing an auger flute.

Wayne I would have what saved me was that I noticed it was loose and saw that I only had half a hex bolt. Will be using it tomorrow and Saturday.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2019, 01:23 PM »

That's what happened to me too. But I caught it when it was just loose. Could have been bad. I think I might change it to what you have on there Denny. Then at least there's something on the other side. Good idea.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2019, 03:47 PM »
That's what happened to me too. But I caught it when it was just loose. Could have been bad. I think I might change it to what you have on there Denny. Then at least there's something on the other side. Good idea.

At least you can see if it is loose. Get the nuts with the lock washers in them easier to install.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Man, all these "gotta get spare parts" and lock washers, nylock nuts, etc., etc.

You guys are way overthinking this.

Snug down the bolt, then a wrap or two of electrical, gorilla or a strip of duct tape and the bolt can't go anywhere.

Can't back out/get lost, etc., etc.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Man, all these "gotta get spare parts" and lock washers, nylock nuts, etc., etc.

You guys are way overthinking this.

Snug down the bolt, then a wrap or two of electrical, gorilla or a strip of duct tape and the bolt can't go anywhere.

Can't back out/get lost, etc., etc.

Maybe your way is to fix expensive equipment with duct tape, and that is fine. Some of us care enough to do it the right way which may involve some trial and error until an acceptable and permanent solution is reached.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Maybe your way is to fix expensive equipment with duct tape, and that is fine. Some of us care enough to do it the right way which may involve some trial and error until an acceptable and permanent solution is reached.

Yah, I guess doing it that way since 1990 or so and never having a bolt back out isn't trial and error enough...plus my method doesn't make a protrusion an inch or so long that has the potential to snag clothing or something else while turning...so, not only is it a simple fix, it's safer to boot...but, I digress...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2019, 11:31 AM »
I see all these issues with Ions, makes me think I'm never buying this brand.  See issues with these in many places not just the on shanty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.