Author Topic: last dance  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
last dance
« on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Most nights before a fishing trip, I don't sleep,  for some reason last night I slept like I was dead. The smell of coffee woke at 3:15.. God bless her!
 I quickly got dressed and went down and emptied my  bait tank. Loading between 4
And 5 dozen, mixed emerald red fin and golden shiners into the cooler, I was on the road at 4
I arrived at my destination at dawn, I had decided this last trip would be on foot, I'm glad I did, the edges are fading fast and we lost 8" of ice this week, there is still 15 "  of solid ice with about 5" of corn ice on top, alot of scary looking spots...
Travel was good and 30 minutes after leaving the truck I was at my destination,
I set the first tip up on a sharp drop in 40' of water, before I got the second hole cut the flag was standing  tall with a chunky yellow perch on the hook, so the morning  went. Small perch were  a nuisance,I only got 5 or 6 smallies   no hate today!
I managed some decent yellows and a few crappie,  the whites didn't show up until late. In fact I landed more after  I took the  picture , they showed up as I was picking up and I jigged 4 more....everything today was in between 30 and 40 FOW, I grilled a steak,  drank a (2)brew and toasted the season, the eagle did a fly by ON several occasions eyeballing my fish pile, i.dumped the remaining 3 shiners onto to ice as a "Scooby. Snack " for him/ her when I called it a day at 6 pm...back at the truck the shore had opened water, it wasn't that way when I left. .So another ice season is in the books.. it was the best in many,many years..time to turn the page.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: last dance
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:40 PM »
Great season Joe!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Yep, congrats on a great season, Joe!
Thanks for all the reports.

Now, I have to ask...did you train the Mrs. to have coffee ready in the middle of the night or does she really love you that much??  ;) Inquiring minds want to know.
BTW, nice Smitty. 

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2019, 12:41 AM »
Nice report.  Ice fishing last weekend on my lake in the boat today.  Never seen anything like this.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2019, 04:45 AM »
Sounds like a great season Joe - hope the Striper season is equally good...

Good luck with the spring list...

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Great season. Way to finish strong Joe!!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:10 AM »
Joe,
Very well written.
Your story makes us feel like we were there with you.
Looking forward to your events in next year's chapter.

John

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Yep, congrats on a great season, Joe!
Thanks for all the reports.

Now, I have to ask...did you train the Mrs. to have coffee ready in the middle of the night or does she really love you that much??  ;) Inquiring minds want to know.
BTW, nice Smitty.

She's a very special lady for sure, puts up with  alot and with asks little in return, sits through my seminars,  helps prepare  set up and put away, she takes it upon herself each spring to paint the bottom of the boat. .most of all she's the best companion a man could ask for, I'd be lost without her
That smitty is a life saver, I laminated ply wood with poly glue to make the frame,  and uprights the cross pieces have stainles steel sleeve to keep the 1/2"galvinized pins from wearing,the holes bigger, the wood has 2 coats of paint then 2 coats of flex seal, it'll out live me

Thanks for the kind words guys, I've enjoyed sharing my journey this season with you all, but more importantly, I've enjoyed reading about all of yours as well.
Anyone continuing to fish beyond this weekend please be safe. Any rain will do a number on the ice, this time of year, it goes from both sides as the warmer water beneath erodes from under while the sun rots it from above.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Still plenty of ice above the notches,come on up!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Heck of a season Joe. Great post. Your wife is a real find. Makes your coffee,  attends your seminars, and works on your boat.  Doesn't get much better than that.
I know how far you had to walk thats impressive.  Its worth it with the amount of fish your getting.  Sorry i couldn't make it, thanks for the invite. Hopefully we can hit some salt soon.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Funny story to go with this, what would a ROCCUS fishing trip be without a story.

To  begin with  yesterday was as still and quiet as I have ever seen it, so dtill, no noise from human or nature, as I walked along I heard a turkey gobble.
So as I said, the action was fast early, I had 2 large perch on the ice. By 1 tip up, I had a crappie on the ice at 2 different tip ups, then he showed up... a lone seagull appeared and landed by 1 of the crappie as I was answering a flag, so as I was waiting for the fish to make his second run, the gull starts side stepping towards my crappie,  so I'm there yelling and cursing the gull, I even bluff charged it, it didn't leave, just took a few side steps,then the shadow appeared just as I heard the crows start calling,  yup Mr eagle made appearance,  I missed the fish. Because I rushed, yelling at the birds" look what you made me do" finally I gave up fight with them and made a well to hide my fish in, it made a good cooler  for my beer too, I didn't loose any fish but that hull hung out by the well all day, only leaving when I got too close

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Heck of a season Joe. Great post. Your wife is a real find. Makes your coffee,  attends your seminars, and works on your boat.  Doesn't get much better than that.
I know how far you had to walk thats impressive.  Its worth it with the amount of fish your getting.  Sorry i couldn't make it, thanks for the invite. Hopefully we can hit some salt soon.  :tipup:
I'll tell ya,that walk is no joke, 45 minutes to get bsck, feeling it in my back and butt this morning.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Awesome season and report sir! I always read your posts from start to finish. Thanks for the “visions” of a real fisherman from a fair weather fisherman!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Awesome season and report sir! I always read your posts from start to finish. Thanks for the “visions” of a real fisherman from a fair weather fisherman!

X2, my sentiments exactly! I thoughtless enjoy all the detail you provide with the stories and fish!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2019, 02:50 PM »
She's a very special lady for sure, puts up with  alot and with asks little in return, sits through my seminars,  helps prepare  set up and put away, she takes it upon herself each spring to paint the bottom of the boat. .most of all she's the best companion a man could ask for, I'd be lost without her
That smitty is a life saver, I laminated ply wood with poly glue to make the frame,  and uprights the cross pieces have stainles steel sleeve to keep the 1/2"galvinized pins from wearing,the holes bigger, the wood has 2 coats of paint then 2 coats of flex seal, it'll out live me
Yes, very special, indeed! Too bad you couldn't clone her.  ;)
I met her at a plug seminar you did a few years back. In Concord, I think?
She was doing just as you said at seminars.
Good ideas on the Smitty construction. I like the sleeves/bushings particularly.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Great post and congrats on a good season good luck on the salt. I hope to head out 2 or 3 days this week. Just got back from Boston makes me appreciate where I live more.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Great post and congrats on a good season good luck on the salt. I hope to head out 2 or 3 days this week. Just got back from Boston makes me appreciate where I live more.
Boston sucks, i.levev15 minutes north of it, deal with the traffic every day..that's what makes days like yesterday special. .

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Great post and season......I didn’t have much luck yesterday, so me an my buddy went back to his house an broke in his new Tekka 6.5 cal.   All my gear is away, vexialr an batteries for the KDrill fully charged and back on the shelf.  Hope to hit up some ponds in between jobs this week

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Yes, very special, indeed! Too bad you couldn't clone her.  ;)
I met her at a plug seminar you did a few years back. In Concord, I think?
She was doing just as you said at seminars.
Good ideas on the Smitty construction. I like the sleeves/bushings particularly.

Yes you did, she attends all the events, she helped me empty the truck today after we processed the fish, it's the first time I've seen the bed since November, all the gear is gone through, batteries charged and removed for the summer, pop up packed away and all winter clothes washed and stored in the upstairs closet.i found a few petrified shiners in the bed.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Awesome Roccus! Thanks for posting up. Always learn something from you.

Stay safe!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:48 PM »
it's the first time I've seen the bed since November,
That's dedication!
A few petrified winter shiners are much nicer to deal with than macks, herring or eels found behind the live well or under hoses in the motor well in July and August.   :(

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:50 PM »
That's dedication!
A few petrified winter shiners are much nicer to deal with than macks, herring or eels found behind the live well or under hoses in the motor well in July and August.   :(

Ain’t that the truth! :o
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Great Job on another awesome season Joe! Thanks for sharing your last outing and it was great to fish with you earlier this year. Your not just a great fisherman and a great craftsman but you truly are a standup guy! I appreciate the gifts and hope your open water season is even more successful. As far as your wife, glad she is your backbone and she makes a killer bread. I am working on 17 years with my wife and wouldnt know what to do without her either. Go crush your next adventure!
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Thanks again everyone, I lean a little something from you all as well. Glad I got it all put away, because this side of the shop is causing ADD.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Nice to see another crowded, but organized shop!  :thumbsup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Nice to see another crowded, but organized shop!  :thumbsup:
Organized chaos is more like it, now that I evicted the bait tank and red neck chiller,  I hooked my dust collected back up, I need a few specific plugs for striper fishing and am going to make a few more of those tip ups I made, they were outstanding and I want a few spares
The woman next door had one of her boys break a spindle on a kitchen set that was her grandmothers, she was in tears when asked me if I had any strong wood glue, I told her, not as strong as a new spindle, I just happened to have enough mahogany scraps to.makeb her a new one, I'll take care of that tonight.i hope my lathe still works!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Organized chaos is more like it, now that I evicted the bait tank and red neck chiller,  I hooked my dust collected back up, I need a few specific plugs for striper fishing and am going to make a few more of those tip ups I made, they were outstanding and I want a few spares
The woman next door had one of her boys break a spindle on a kitchen set that was her grandmothers, she was in tears when asked me if I had any strong wood glue, I told her, not as strong as a new spindle, I just happened to have enough mahogany scraps to.makeb her a new one, I'll take care of that tonight.i hope my lathe still works!
Pretty sure the bait tank's going in the Warrior Princess? Where do you put the red neck chiller and inhabitants in the off season?
I can visualize the teary neighbor and the perspective cobbled, glued up heirloom spindle.  :(
I'm sure your lathe will be just as fine as when you left it and your neighbor will be forever grateful for a perfect replica.
Have fun building your new plugs, Joe! 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Pretty sure the bait tank's going in the Warrior Princess? Where do you put the red neck chiller and inhabitants in the off season?
I can visualize the teary neighbor and the perspective cobbled, glued up heirloom spindle.  :(
I'm sure your lathe will be just as fine as when you left it and your neighbor will be forever grateful for a perfect replica.
Have fun building your new plugs, Joe!

You got that right, tank is plumbed for the boat and waiting for the princess to shed her winter clothes. ..the chiller got flushed and stored in the shed, next to the snow blower,  i.used all but 3 shiners in the tank, I scooped them out. Stomped 'em and left them for my feathered friend  on the Lake  they were eyeballing my fish stash all day, periodically cleaning the expelled bait fish from the ice, I'm guessing  I hadn't walked too far before they swooped down to claim their prize. .
My neighbor is awesome,  hard working family, 4 kids, you would never know, very quiet, I love their dog, 3 years old golden.Nancy keeps treats in the garage,he'll sit at the property line waiting to be petted and get his treat,  he never barks, he's a good dog.. .but hates the UPS truck, the only time he barks is when brown is making a delivery.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Nice work Joe, sounds like a good time to close out the season. Going on foot looks like it was smart for sure

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Nice work Joe, sounds like a good time to close out the season. Going on foot looks like it was smart for sure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.