Author Topic: 19 Mile Bay - cusk?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
19 Mile Bay - cusk?
« on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:21 AM »
Been ice fishing on Winni more and more the last few years and finally figured Id try some cusk lines. Good little project for a Sunday afternoon. Im spending a few days up there at the end of this week and typically fish from 19mi Bay out to the basin South of Whortlleberry and North of Cow Is.  Anyone have any luck with cusk in that area? Ive probably asked this before here but a) dont remember the responses and b) obviously didnt do anything about it until now... ::)   Im not looking for anyone's hot spot, just wondering if Im wasting my time up there and should plan to set them somewhere else...

thanks
Paul

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 19 Mile Bay - cusk?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Not sure about there but wolfboro bay is producing cusk and lakers

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Friend of mine has a place on cow island and they do well for cusk around that area
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Great looking lines. One suggestion though lose the monofilament to the hook, cusk don't care. We snell our own hooks with squid line , attach to swilel or snap at bottom of sinker . Makes life a lot easier , and less chaffing break offs than the mono.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Ill give it a whirl and a report late this weekend.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:14 PM »
They really seem to be almost everywhere on the lake at this time of year from what I can tell. I’ve gone several times this year targeting them specifically and it’s a blast to check your lines throughout the night. Jig a bit in the shack/cook food/play card or whatever and check every 45 mins or so. Or just leave em overnight.

If your only setting six traps (we had 4 people last time), and your fishing them for two nights, I would vary my spread from as little as 5’ through 40/45’ the first night to see if you can find them. Then move accordingly for the second night. If your only going one night I would conecentrate around 15-30’. They seemed to be coming more and more shallow as the year went on, but last time I went (two weeks ago) they were all around 35’. The week before 15’ was on fire.

I would try to find big rocks/cobbles or sand that is adjacent to deep water. They seem to come up from the deep in the afternoon to feed at night in the shallows. That being said I’ve caught them midday as well in full sunlight.

I would also get the biggest shiners/bait you can find, and also chum some in the holes to draw them in. If you can only get smaller bait don’t be afraid to put a few on. It doesn’t seem to keep the little ones away, but more action from multiple fish can’t hurt in my opinion.

Finally, if you’re going to eat them, and you should they are by far the best freshwater fish imo, use this video. You get all the meat possible, and it makes keeping even the small ones worthwhile.

Offline Sesuit7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Got a nice one in the wolfebiro area last week.    Caught several other in the 2-4 lb range.  Most action for quality cusk we’ve seen in a while

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Nice catch my I ask what size bait you used

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Nice catch my I ask what size bait you used
Big bait , 10” or more even. I find large whites, yellows, rock bass , gills, small mouth in them all the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.