Author Topic: Why are flashers relevant any more?  (Read 14203 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why are flashers relevant any more?
« on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:27 PM »
I'm just curious why people still shell out $400 for flasher nowadays? What makes them superior in any way to sonar which at the same cost delivers the same resolution, speed, and portability plus the benefit of chartplotters, and history of fish response to lures.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Why are flashers relevant any more?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Probably just because that's what they are familiar with using. Love my marcum, but also like a lot of the features on my son's Garmin.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Durability, dependability, ease of use, battery life. Panoptix is the only reason I see to switch, and that is quite a bit more expensive.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Durability, dependability, ease of use, battery life. Panoptix is the only reason I see to switch, and that is quite a bit more expensive.

Other than superior battery life none of those features are exclusive to flashers.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Other than superior battery life none of those features are exclusive to flashers.

Time will tell. Flasher is as simple as it gets, and will run for 3 days straight on 1 battery. Everyone is different, we all like what we like, use what you like and be happy.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Time will tell. Flasher is as simple as it gets, and will run for 3 days straight on 1 battery. Everyone is different, we all like what we like, use what you like and be happy.

My Humminbird Helix 5 runs for 36 hours on one charge.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:05 PM »

Yup. I don't get, that people don't get, that people get what they have and want because it's what they chose to get and use. Got it?  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Puzzles me too why some seem to cling to an obsolete technology. I find them very annoying to look at. I don't go fishing to stare at a screen and get a headache.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Who cares what people use.they are not writing my paycheck.some like tech,some dont.why do people think they need all that tech for pulling a fish thru a hole in the ice is crazy to me but i could give a rats a$$ what people fish with.call me grumpy today..lol

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:13 PM »
My Humminbird Helix 5 runs for 36 hours on one charge.

But you conceded to the point that flashers have better battery life?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Puzzles me too why some seem to cling to an obsolete technology. I find them very annoying to look at. I don't go fishing to stare at a screen and get a headache.

Obsolete? A one ounce lead weight attached to an alligator clip is obsolete. Flashers are still alive and well. Just ordered a new one...and can't wait to stare at it.   :blink: :wacko: :roflmao:

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I'm just curious why people still shell out $400 for flasher nowadays? What makes them superior in any way to sonar which at the same cost delivers the same resolution, speed, and portability plus the benefit of chartplotters, and history of fish response to lures.

$400, that's pretty cheap. 

Flashers fish faster when you're hole hopping and can work a bit better in heavy weeds compared to the 2d graphs I've used.  A simple vex setup is far more portable and has a proven dependability as well.  I've had issues getting a graph to work well over 150', but that was all older prechirp hbird and lowrance setups, I've not yet tried the gt10 ducer deep on a Garmin.

The truth is, if you're on fish, a functional flasher is all you need.  The graph history is of minimal value IMO.  If a flasher makes you dizzy or gives you a headache, that's something else I guess.  Maybe a bad ducer is showing too much erratic noise?  ;D   

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Yup. I don't get, that people don't get, that people get what they have and want because it's what they chose to get and use. Got it?  ;)

This is the best argument so far.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:19 PM »
I've used a Vexilar FL8 for years and years, now I've upgraded to a Helix 5.  I haven't used it yet, but will be trying it out tomorrow.  Time will tell if it's what I really want.  This discussion doesn't bother me much.  What really bothers me is the nonstop discussion over how to put a hole in the ice.  That topic is beaten to death daily.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Obsolete? A one ounce lead weight attached to an alligator clip is obsolete. Flashers are still alive and well. Just ordered a new one...and can't wait to stare at it.   :blink: :wacko: :roflmao:

Hey I still do that too lol

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Who cares what people use.they are not writing my paycheck.some like tech,some dont.why do people think they need all that tech for pulling a fish thru a hole in the ice is crazy to me but i could give a rats a$$ what people fish with.call me grumpy today..lol

You're not grumpy Doc.You nailed it! Spiltmilt spilled his milk...he's the grumpy one.🤣

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:20 PM »

Alright...you are Grumpy Today.
   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:22 PM »
This is the best argument so far.

Why is your setup better? Charts mean nothing, got that on my phone. And what does the "history" of the fish moving tell you? Fish came up, didn't bite, went back down. I don't understand what else you can see, what am I missing?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Hey I still do that too lol

As do I. I prefer them when setting tip ups.😉

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:23 PM »
After thinking about it more,my answer is longevity.theres flashers that are still working after 40 years and more.think of the tech graphs as a computer.how many computers last that long?none..graphs might last that long but with software updates or motherboard replacements..i still like my flasher for simplicity and reliability.i also get about 70 hrs run time on a charge.i bought a garmin striker 5 to try but mostly for my boat.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:24 PM »
I fish with a Marcum M-5 and absolutely love it! Quiet, simple and easy to read and use. You can have the “new” technology...I’ll stick with my “obsolete” flasher!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:28 PM »

Alright...you are Grumpy Today.
   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
lol i am today.probably the 4th xmas party put me over the edge.by the 2nd one i about started drinking again.ugh

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I have a marcum lx5i and love it. It's simple, turn the nob on and go. Maybe get crazy and put the zoom on if I'm over 20' of water.
I want to be fishing not fiddling around. I don't need gps as I know where I'm going.
There's a reason why a lot of people still buy them. I have also seen many people with a sonar using flasher mode hmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Simplicity ..as simple as it gets .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:31 PM »
You're not grumpy Doc.You nailed it! Spiltmilt spilled his milk...he's the grumpy one.🤣

I'm not grumpy about it just trying to better understand. I've been selling sonar/fishfinders alongside flashers for years. I always have hard time explaining to new customers the advantages of flashers. The only customers who seem interested in them are those that grew up using them.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:42 PM »
Reread the posts, and you will find several reasons to use a flasher. We “old-timers” know and appreciate durability and simplicity...and catching fish! ;D
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I like my flasher.... Its pretty easy to use... And i do t really see anythi g bit the panoptix thats leaps and bounds ahead of my fl20 and since that unit costs as much as my truck... Whats outdated about a flasher? Seems pretty advanced to me lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Reread the posts, and you will find several reasons to use a flasher. We “old-timers” know and appreciate durability and simplicity...and catching fish! ;D

Yeah the reasons given don't really separate them from flashers. I've had several "old timers" replacing their Vexilars this year because their old (5 to 7 years old) Vexilars crapped out on them. In fact I don't see much of a difference between the number of Humminbird or Garmin units returned for defects versus Vexilars. Lowrance is a different story.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:06 PM »
I have a marcum lx5i and love it. It's simple, turn the nob on and go. Maybe get crazy and put the zoom on if I'm over 20' of water.
I want to be fishing not fiddling around. I don't need gps as I know where I'm going.
There's a reason why a lot of people still buy them. I have also seen many people with a sonar using flasher mode hmmmmmmmmmmm

I use sonar in flasher mode. I don't like the flickering lights of a traditional flasher but I do like the simplicity of a round display.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:22 PM »
I don't like them there graph type flashers because them fish keep a movin to the left and I keep a follerin them and drillin more holes tryin to ketch up to em. Pretty soon I'm a long ways from where I started and have a long walk back. One day a feller told me if went to the opposite side of the hole them fish would lead me back to where I dun started. It worked and that's why I like them round, flashy, whirlygigs better. Other than the fact I've been usin em since 1975.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.