The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Free Fishing Day - January 26th - 2nd week of Table 9's  (Read 2138 times)

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are there more events than the one F&W puts on during free fishing day? I.E Do any of the baits hops have anything going on for free fishing day? trying to plan a great day and bring some rookies.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Free Fishing Day - January 26th - 2nd week of Table 9's
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:52 PM »
IMHO free fishing day is a slap in the face for all those who buy a license. I try to stay home now on that day because of  the "more than normal" bunch of drunken yahoos on the ice that day.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:33 AM »
IMHO free fishing day is a slap in the face for all those who buy a license. I try to stay home now on that day because of  the "more than normal" bunch of drunken yahoos on the ice that day.
You do have a point here...
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:02 AM »

Kinda like the opening day of firearm season here in VT...I try to avoid the public woods that day...

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:27 AM »
Just my opinion.
If it gets young people out and off their devices for the day and maybe interested in a future of fishing its great.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Just my opinion.
If it gets young people out and off their devices for the day and maybe interested in a future of fishing its great.

I don't disagree, I try very hard every year since they've implemented this program, to get someone out on the ice that's never ice fished before to try it out, however, it is a zoo in most of the popular places, and it is disappointing to see all the drunkards and trash left lying around after the zoo hits the ice...not a place to bring children most times...what F&W does at the planned event location is helpful but draws too many so I just take the people I have with me elsewhere, hopefully where there's no zoo.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Kids fish free anyways why take them out in mid January, typically coldest couple of weeks each year.
Fishing has to be fun for kids, nice mild day, place with lots of activity, food, etc.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:41 AM »
it is the day you are most likely to have stuff stolen out of the back of your truck. free fishing, free stuff.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Just my opinion.
I feel the same way. As time goes on less and less people are buying hunting and fishing licenses which in the end means that it costs more and more for the people who are buying licenses. As for people leaving trash out on the ice my answer is to just pick it up. Someone normally notices and many think it is a good idea so they start to do it. Setting a good example never is a bad thing. 
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Fully agree with this post.

I feel the same way. As time goes on less and less people are buying hunting and fishing licenses which in the end means that it costs more and more for the people who are buying licenses. As for people leaving trash out on the ice my answer is to just pick it up. Someone normally notices and many think it is a good idea so they start to do it. Setting a good example never is a bad thing.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Kids fish free anyways why take them out in mid January, typically coldest couple of weeks each year.
Fishing has to be fun for kids, nice mild day, place with lots of activity, food, etc.

There are kids older than 15

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Just my opinion.

I'm with this. It certainly gets my daughter off the tablet.

Offline rfogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:44 AM »
If it wasn't for free ice fishing weekend I would have never started. I have always wanted to try it but never wanted to make the investment on something that my kids an I wouldn't like. Took the family down to Bomo last year and my 7 yr loves it as long as the ice isn't cracking under our feet, the 4 yr old could care less but love to eat. I try to get out every day after work now and on weekends. Hopefully if I can find some local hotspot I can get my youngest more interested this year. Needless to say I am very thankful for the free weekend.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Glad to hear it! I've taken a few friends out on free fishing day both summer and winter and we have had a blast. Unfortunately free ice day tends to be bad weather. Have you tried fishing for smelt yet? I haven't fished for them in Bomo but its a great opportunity for the after work time slot.

If it wasn't for free ice fishing weekend I would have never started. I have always wanted to try it but never wanted to make the investment on something that my kids an I wouldn't like. Took the family down to Bomo last year and my 7 yr loves it as long as the ice isn't cracking under our feet, the 4 yr old could care less but love to eat. I try to get out every day after work now and on weekends. Hopefully if I can find some local hotspot I can get my youngest more interested this year. Needless to say I am very thankful for the free weekend.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:57 PM »
I must fish in a good region ...never seen a bunch of " drunkers and trash "where i fish. I fish all over the inland sea in franklin county.   I think if it gets people out on the ice for a day it's all good. 

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:13 PM »
I must fish in a good region ...never seen a bunch of " drunkers and trash "where i fish. I fish all over the inland sea in franklin county.   I think if it gets people out on the ice for a day it's all good.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or wisecrack, but you've obviously never fished St. Albans bay when the white perch are being slammed...the amount of twisted tea bottles & cans, butts, food wrappers, propane bottles and other various trashy sundries left on the ice is just crazy. And to top it off, yes the drunks show up in force and start driving all over with cars, trucks, sleds, ATV's making considerable amount of noise that scare the fish off. This has also been witnessed at Dillenback on different occasions too, same as Mallett's boat launch, Georgia Shore, Campbell bay...

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:22 PM »

Thats is great.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:04 PM »

I'm not trying to be a smartass or wisecrack, but you've obviously never fished St. Albans bay when the white perch are being slammed...the amount of twisted tea bottles & cans, butts, food wrappers, propane bottles and other various trashy sundries left on the ice is just crazy. And to top it off, yes the drunks show up in force and start driving all over with cars, trucks, sleds, ATV's making considerable amount of noise that scare the fish off. This has also been witnessed at Dillenback on different occasions too, same as Mallett's boat launch, Georgia Shore, Campbell bay...
Yeah!  its always Twisted Tea!  is there a new generation of teenage girls that got into ice fishing?
Fish on

Offline rfogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Glad to hear it! I've taken a few friends out on free fishing day both summer and winter and we have had a blast. Unfortunately free ice day tends to be bad weather. Have you tried fishing for smelt yet? I haven't fished for them in Bomo but its a great opportunity for the after work time slot.

Thanks I actually live in Monkton so Bomo is to far for after work for me. Never fished for smelt either so that might be fun to try. I  mostly fish perch because it's easy for the kids. I just haven't found any good size in this area.

Offline rfogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:00 PM »

[/quote]

It does really suck about all the ass*****, but the truth is you can't take the kids to the fair, a ballpark or many other places now days. It's almost a gauranteed to run into a bunch of drunk idiots. I guess it's just what our society has come to.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:06 AM »
It sucks that these are your experiences, but the same can be said for any popular ice fishing spot.  It may be a little worse on that day, but it is what it is.  However, there is another side of free fishing day.  I for one love to fish new places and check out water bodies that I have not fished before.  This day allows me to travel to other states and try new waters without the upfront cost of buying the license.  Each year I take advantage of these days to do just that.  It has lead to me buying a MA license every year and that may expand to your state if I find it worth while.  In this instance, I will be contributing to your states fishing economy with very little consumption of the resources, since I won't be able to get up there all the time.  Please don't lump all that take advantage of "Free Fishing Day" into the same category.  Some of us are true sportsman that just like to adventure.  If I find a spot or 2 that I like, I may become an every year license purchaser and do my part to help support your local Fish and Game.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Well said but it still sucks it draws the drunks. Does anyone know when other states offer free fishing days?
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Well said but it still sucks it draws the drunks. Does anyone know when other states offer free fishing days?

NH has free day on the third Sat in Jan for ice fishing.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:07 PM »

I second this it becomes a three ring circus when the whites come in people sticking beer cans in the ice to mark there spots for the next day. I mean come on! Why don’t you just get the lat long on your phone and save it so you can get on em insted of littering. I just hate huge crowds
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:05 PM »
NH has free day on the third Sat in Jan for ice fishing.
Thanks! At least theirs does not fall on the same days as ours. Might be worth exploring some setbacks on the CT River.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Hmmmm. I'm taking my 6 year old/9 year old and an exchange student to the Ice fishing Festival at Knight Point. I guess I better make sure I bring enough Twisted Tea for everybody....

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Thanks! At least theirs does not fall on the same days as ours. Might be worth exploring some setbacks on the CT River.

Yeah, I like the sounds of that, might be a road trip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.