Author Topic: New to crappie fishing  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
New to crappie fishing
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:57 AM »
I've noticed on a small lake with some crappie in it that I fish, there is a large tree standing in the water about five feet deep surrounded by a weedbed. Should i fish this for crappie???

acsacmboy

Re:New to crappie fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 09:12 PM »
i would fish on first ice and late ice. even if there is no crappie there has got to be some nice gills and or a few pike. beware if there is pike and you make one mad

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 06:44 PM »
I take it that logs sticking out of the water will also hold crappies nearby. What should I use to catch crappies? I know that minnows (or minnow imitating bates such as a Jigging Rap) work well. What else is there?

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004, 07:19 PM »
I would say the minnows would be your best bet.  I always do good on minnows, its just what crappie eat.  Trying fishing there just before and after dark with a small jig and minnow and a spring bobber or light rod.  Put one minnow on one rod next to the log.  And one rod with the same thing next to the weed edge away from the log.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2004, 01:59 AM »
Also if the water is only that deep keep your noise level down too. Shallow water fish will spook very easily and dont give up too quick once you drill holes the fish may scatter but be patient they will more than likely return.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2004, 10:23 AM »
I fished for crappie the past two days. I found that the crappie were close to the cover. As for bait we tried minnows and they wouldn't take them we had to use spike's that was the only thing they would take.

Crappie84

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2004, 09:01 PM »
Yeah i hear ya sometimes thats all i can get them on is waxies but believe me when they are aggressive especially at night use a #10 Green Glow Ratfikiee by custom jigs and spins their tear drops rock!  I just tip it with a minnow and let my deadstick do the rest of the work!
good luck fishing :'(

OU812

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Yeah i hear ya sometimes thats all i can get them on is waxies but believe me when they are aggressive especially at night use a #10 Green Glow Ratfikiee by custom jigs and spins their tear drops rock!  I just tip it with a minnow and let my deadstick do the rest of the work!
good luck fishing :'(
Does that teardrop have some kind of a flicker tab on it (like the ones on swedish pimples). What makes it better in your opinion?
JG

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: New to crappie fishing
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2004, 05:04 PM »
Rat Finkees are deadly on most panfish in most conditions. Not sure why but they work!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to crappie fishing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2004, 10:39 PM »
hey im new to the crappie to and am trying to learn as much as possible and i am looking for a place to get info in warmer weather

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.