Author Topic: Light bite!  (Read 3287 times)

bussman

Light bite!
« on: Feb 02, 2003, 02:01 PM »
Sometimes when you see those fish on your flasher come right to your bait and then leave you may have missed there bite. Look for the line to gain a bit of slack  or move to the side and if you see it lift your rod tip up about 6 or 8 inches (DO NOT JERK). I have outfished many a fisherman on days like this with all types of pan fish. It is harder the deeper your fishing but the real key is to hold that rod dead still once you think the fish has commited. Sometimes you can use the water sticking to your line as a strike indicator. This all sounds difficult to some but with a little practice you may be surprised how many more fish you catch. Since I learned these trick I very rarely don't limit out!

Exudedude

Re: Light bite!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2003, 10:44 AM »
I know exactly what you are talking about and often do the same thing.. Another tip I use, is to use a soft tip rod.. I make my own... And then keep jigging it, keeping my eye on the rod tip.. when it doesnt come up with my had as normal, I set the hook!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2003, 05:07 PM »
exactly the way the crappies have been acting this week if it wasnt for the zercom and the aquaview we woulda missed half of them
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

perchmon

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2003, 01:52 AM »
There is a very small slip bobber made for fly fishing.
called a strike indicator(orange about the size of a dime). these things will not hold up a demon
with a maggot...but you can set it so its halfway down your hole
and it really helps detect the light bites.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2003, 01:50 PM »
Sometimes its hard for me to focus on the rod tip( strickly night fishing) i use a spring bobber with #1 to #1&1/2 mono. On very extreme light sniffers i use #1 test mono with or with out spring bobber, doesn't matter cause i use old #4 or #6 test backer and #1 4 foot leader. The memory coils on the old heavy line work perfect for strike indicators ;D

Crappieloo
Wayne co. ny

crappie_hunter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2003, 06:51 AM »
i use the fome slip bobbers that you can cut to match your jig size

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
Re:Light bite!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2003, 04:42 PM »
the flyfishing strike indicator that is like putty works great for a strike indicator. you can mold a bobber to the exact size you need for your bait.
Its Ice Now!

acsacmboy

Re:Light bite!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2003, 05:32 PM »
i like watching ice build up and the line. sometimes i will get down and lay on the ice to see if the line is moving or if ia fish is biting. i will do that for perch and bluegills too.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2004, 06:16 PM »
Good posts.  I also use high vis line w/ fluorocarbon leader, 2 pound test.  Reel magic keeps the coils from getting too bad.  Also, I use my own home made springs that are very sensitive.  Often, a crappie will create slack in the line so I'll either see that or my spring actually go up.  Anything different than what I expect, I set the hook.  Sometimes, I may not see anything or feel anything but get a whim that a fish is there and set the hook...many times that works.

Don't own an aquaview, but I can see a real advantage.  Might try to get one this year.  Better start saving $
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.