Author Topic: Once you catch a pike, change holes?  (Read 4390 times)

therm66

Once you catch a pike, change holes?
« on: Jan 11, 2004, 03:02 PM »
Okay, here's a question I've not seen yet.  I'm new to this so perhaps it's common sense but I'm not sure.  Once you catch a pike through a hole in the ice, should you change holes or continue to fish same hole???

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Once you catch a pike, change holes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Absolutely stay in the same hole. You'll have days when every fish comes out of one hole.

My two best fish yesterday came from the same hole.

I GPS hot holes for future use.

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Same hole for sure!  there always seems to be a honey hole.  Last year I caught 2 pike over 10 Lbs. and lost an even bigger one same hole  same day.
Rich Ferguson

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:22 AM »
always change holes;   ;D  ;D  but for safety purposes, cover with styrofoam and mark well!!! oh; not a bad idea to post what was caught, and a fairly precise location for fellow members  ;D grump

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:21 PM »
Sounds like trickery to me ;)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:49 PM »
Depends on how much the pike are moving that day and how aggressive they are. If they are stationary, definitely change holes because only one pike will just sit in an area of about 15 sqare feet. Lake trout are the same way. If the fish are moving and are aggressive, stay in the same hole.

Honey hole can be a case, I always try for about 15 min in a hole after a catch a fish. if i dont get any more hits or marks on sonar that are interested, I move holes.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:13 PM »
i belive to stay in the same hole if they are moderetly moving to moving somewhat to aggressive moving around like a spooked pheasent.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:42 PM »
What i usually do i Call Germ on ice shanty first and tell him GPS quads to the hole to make sure if he can SAFTLY cover the hole for me whille i change holes.....SMACK SMACK SMACK....This is like asking your BEst friend to date a girl you think is hot to make sure she is right for you!!! STAY in THE SAME DAMM hole!!! lol tight lines and stay where you are!!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

JIMMY FISHTRAP

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2004, 09:56 AM »
always stay in the same hole,like some of the guys said ive had days where every fish came from the same hole.sometimes that one hole might be in the perfect spot,like on the edge of a weed bed,pike will cruise by all day.

Gillles

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2004, 02:16 PM »
Obviously if someone finds a "Honey Hole" they are going to stay in it. What I prefer to do is to find a hole that will produce fish, then drill around 10 other holes in a 30 foot circle in the same vacinity, leave one rod with bait in the honey hole and jig the other holes periodically moving every 10 minutes until you locate another fish. I've caught a lot more fish doing this than just staying in the same two holes all day especially for pike.  If the fish are active then moving around a lot of isn't as important but if they are sluggish and not moving, covering larger areas will produce more fish.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I had days where all the fish came from the same hole.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2004, 05:50 PM »
stay at the same hole. if you don't catch in a while then move.  i've had my wife catch 6 pike in a row from one hole and i got 2 all day.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:02 PM »
i always stay in the same ! the only negative is the slime can make it hard to sight your bait.
 ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:42 PM »
Another vote for staying put.  If the fish are on a feeding spree, you may be in the hot spot!  I think that Pike love all that disturbance under water and tend to get rather curious?  All those stirred up weeds, mud, etc... brings in the bait fish  followed up by the toothy critters.  :'(
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:14 AM »
hey barleydog. nice to see some posts. how's fishing so far???? are you entered in the tourney?? lol grumpymoe

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2004, 01:59 PM »
Moe,  I gotta get out!  Work and the weather has left me only dreaming of the big ones!  Only fishing has been in the shanty in -30 temps.  Lot's of smaller Char and nice Bows.  This weekend will be the doom of many fish! hAHAHAH  Gotta head out for some Pike or Lakers. How's that Canadian weather treatin' you?  You must have been out!  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2004, 02:34 PM »
take a boo at the manitoba forum; sandy lake in particular. i get the weekend posts up every monday. so far this year, 160 northerns, (of which most were released) 11 walleye, (only one over the minimum slot size) and 3 lousy perch. fishing has been goooooood!! grumpymoe  p.s. lol and drop a post on the manitoba forum.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

PIKEGUY

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:01 PM »
BarlyDog....That is an awesome Pic. I gotta train my Yellow Lab to do that. They probably don't mind the slime as much as we do!!! :o

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2004, 09:21 PM »
He's tooo goofy to care!  He'll retrieve anything, except Hooded Merganzers!  He got nailed 3 years ago by one we shot for a mount.  Drew blood and wouldn't touch them or anything that looks like it again.  He'll stick to Mallards, Pike, and tipups! :D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.