Author Topic: Best Leader for Pike  (Read 15738 times)

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
Best Leader for Pike
« on: Jan 04, 2004, 07:40 PM »
I am looking to hear everyone's opinion on the best type of leader for pike.  I have a know-it-all friend who claims I am losing out on Pike because I use a thick leader.  >:(

I am trying 40# Steelon and a 40# clear mono leaders.

I need to hear it from the Pro's so Bring it on!!!!!!!!!Any advice is always appreciated.
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Best Leader for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2004, 09:11 PM »
I use 20 lb. clear mono leaders. Haven't had a fish break off yet.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:50 AM »
20# mono? Come on Tip-Up.......you're kidding right? I've seen some of those monsters you caught....and unless they're frozen solid when you bring'em up to the hole, how on earth do you prevent them from biting you off?

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:56 AM »
30 lb fire line is my best bet.  Just do not make it too long.  Fire line tends to cut right to the bone, yours :o.  I put about 4 feet on the end of my tip up line.  It is not so obviouse and does not tend to spook eye's either.  

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:37 AM »
twodoggs - what is the heaviest fish you caught on 30# fire line?

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:38 AM »
hey RyGuy...........so it seems your know-it-all friend does know it all!!!!
And you question the MUGZ?????
You think I don't search the shanty for tips?????? That's the last tip I give you..............your on your own. No wonder I catch more fish.
No sweat off my back....just keep using your #40 mono.....
Forget about me giving you some of my fireline.....BUY YOUR OWN!!!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:26 AM »
I use 15# American fishing wire and 50# florocarbon. The 15# steel is new this year, but with the 50# floro I have caught SMB, LMB,Pike, Pickeral, Walleye, etc....no problems. I tried fireline once and I was not at all happy with it. Got bit off to easy, and was the same visibility as the thin steel.

I have 15 tip-ips set up with 50# floro and 15 set up with the 15# AFW so I can see if there is a difference in my catch rate. So far there is no difference, but the water is a little stained right now, so we will see once the water clears up a little.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Most places we we fish don't hold the lunkers you catch up there in VT.....but it may be worth looking into. How do you keep the wire from getting coiled? and staying coiled??? The #40 mono looks like rope in the water.....as does 20 lb mono. Plus, it has memory that keeps it coiled........I find that the 20# fireline is almost invisible and has no memory whatsoever. I had good success with 10# fireline. I just moved up to the 20#, which doesn't look all that different diameter wise.
Needless to say, I will not be using any type of mono from now on. The fish I lost last week may not have been huge but big enough to take the hook off (and bait) clean.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:48 AM »
Well, I guess I should have put quotes around my last statement when I said "friend of mine".
 :o :o

Anyhow, thanks for the tips.  Mugz, you can come by and pick up your aluminum ladder.  I wrapped around the telephone pole at the bottom of my driveway.

See you Friday!
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Tacklenut

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2004, 04:40 PM »
I started using Power Pro 20lb. strength /6lb. diameter in 2 foot lengths.So far so good!

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2004, 04:46 PM »
this season, i'm trying something new. the lake i'm fishing is loaded with mostly smaller northerns in the 2-4lb range. i know there's a big one lurking but this is what i'm using. #2 eagle claw hooks with their standard heavy mono. so far i haven't had one fish cut the line but the true test will be WHEN the BIG ONE hits. i know, but what the heck. takes the line shy northerns out of the picture anyway.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2004, 04:56 PM »
MM - The mono is tied to the quick strike rig. I make my own quick strikes on about a 12" - 15" wire, long enough to keep the mono well away from the teeth.

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:40 PM »
I USE 24" BLACK STEELE LEADERS,AND CATCH AS MANY PIKE AS I USED TO USING HEAVY MONO. EXCEPT THEY NEVER SNAP!!!YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH STEELE.

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:36 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I am going to experiment a bit, I have some steel and some firewire.

Let's see who catches what.
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:08 PM »
Mugz,
I don't do anything....it does not coil enough for me to worry about it.

Oh...And I use Heritage laker tip-ups with the large spools....maybe the larger spool makes the difference.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:53 AM »
I've used heavy mono and I'm sticking to steel black leaders. I use large spools and for transoratation wrap the mono leader around the spool and the memory that would accure was awefull. 24" steel, black coated teflon leaders is what works for me.

hardcore

« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2004, 09:05 AM »
I use 20lb. mono. to catch pickerel and pike. Take your time landing the fish and cut 6 or 8 inches of line off each time you catch one. When the fish are on a heavy feed steel leaders don't matter,but when the fish are tight lipped i've outfished my friends 4 to 1. In 30 years I've lost less than a half dozen fish. My son got a 28" pickerel on 2lb mono last year. I have watched others hauling these fish out the hole and you would think it was a race. Take your time, enjoy the pull, guide the head to the hole , and if he's not ready let him run. I think most of the fish are lost at the hole when the fisher person  can see the fish and put the brakes on hard. I love to take kids fishing for pickerel at the north end of Cayuga. In a normal day we catch and release dozens. They run  big and the kids have a great time. Pike are few and far between but when you get one you will wonder if the thing will be to big for the hole.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Hardcore,
             I am with you. I have used mono exclusively for years after proof that mono catches more than wire. I have catch thousands of pike and have lost only a few.Just enjoy the runs and don't HORSE them. What's the hurry anyway?

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:08 AM »
I have always used black nylon coated steel leaders with ball bearing swivel and cross snaps in 20 Lb. 9".

This year I am trying the Southbend Invisaleader in 8" 27 Lb. with ball bearing swivel and cross snaps.  These suckers are real thin.  I just hope they hold up.  I now see they have them in Titanium and even thinner yet.  May have to grab a few of them.

I found these at Gander Mnt. in Rochester NY

Watched a guy loose a decent pike last weekend using mono.
Tip-up that st up you have sounds pretty interesting though.
Rich Ferguson

Ice Troll

« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2004, 05:58 AM »
I put almost the same post in the tipup section. You guys really should check this stuff out. Single strand Titanium shock leader made by Malin. Nearly invisible in water, wont kink, thin(35lb test is .012 diameter) and can be tied(yes tied) using several standard knots. You cannot break this stuff and fish will never bite you off. I have tried them all and nothing compares. Check it out.

www.tackledirect.com/malinboanokink.html

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:57 PM »
I like to use 50# Seaguar Flourocarbon and 25 lb. wire quick strike rigs for when the kids are wrestling the gators.  The Flouro is great, but tends to break easier.  Wire leaders are relatively "childproof" and tend to spook fish in late winter, even pike get line spooked in my opinion. :'(
TEAM ALASKA

vttroller

« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:50 AM »
I use 20lb mono and no steel leader. I catch alot more this way. I'll have a break off now and then. Just can't put alot of pressure on em. When I troll/cast open water, I do use 20lb spiderwire. Although I catch pike up to 15lbs. Only one just a tad over 20lbs.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Wow I like it thanks
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.