Author Topic: Trout  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Trout
« on: Dec 04, 2002, 10:34 AM »
What depth do trout feed at? Close to the ice, near the bottom, or suspended? PLEAAASE help. thanks :)  :'(
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2002, 12:14 PM »
Check the varing posts plus the achives and you most likely find all the info you need to catch the noblest fish that swims under the ice(sic)
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

BushMaster

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2002, 05:09 AM »
When you say Trout I assume you are talking about stream trout in lakes? I can tell you this much, in Minnesota we have a great deal of lakes that have been stocked with Rainbows, Brown's and even Brookies. I have found that these fish tend to be cruisers. I have caught them near the bottom and just below the ice. I have developed a startegy of fishing on top of weed beds that top out about 12 to 4 feet below the ice. This tends to funnel the fish into a small area. They like cruising the weed beds looking for feed. In Minnesota we can use two lines. I like to set one up with a small minnow and bobber rig. The other line I use Euro larvae on an ice fly. I have taken six pound Rainbows on these rigs.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2002, 05:18 AM »
When fishing for lake trout it is just like BushMaster wrote. They can be anywhere in the water column. Electronics are key to locating the depth they are at. They tend, like many fish in the winter, to key to the bottom but they also feed on baitfish that can at any depth.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2002, 08:04 AM »
Thanks - i just bought a depth/fish finder. that should help. good luck this season :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Many are cold, but few are frozen

fish head

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2002, 08:30 AM »
I dont know what kind of fish you really want to catch... If your looking to catch a nice Rainbow Trout your in luck i know just the thing to dooo... First try this find a nice spot that has a nice sandy shore.. chances are the bottom is the same. ok now find a spot that you can fish with maybe 4 or 5 feet of water.... look down the hole.. if you can see the bottom thats good hopefully its nice and sandy.. If you can do this by a stream mouth its even better. Dont fish right in the middle but off to the side where the current isnt strong. use a really light line 4 or 6 pound test mono. use a relly small sinker a little smaller than a pee. put the sinker about 8 inches from your hook use a size 12 hook. use either a small shiner or smelt for bait....if you have no luck use pink samon eggs.. place 2 or 3 on the bottom then 2 or 3 to fill your hook fish 5 inches off the bottom.. i hope you have luck...  OK to answer  your question.. i think this is the answer... if in shallow water fish like i said. if in deep fish 5 to 12 feet down.. well i hope i helped you out but im not sure ....... good luck my friend ::) :'(

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2003, 06:28 AM »
I guess it depends....here is what has worked for me.

Lake Trout- I have caught right off the bottom and also 20-30' of water.

Rainbows- generally 6-10' under the ice

Browns- All over the place.

A lot also has to do with the body of water and its depths.  Know the fishery you are in and it will help a great deal.  Also try new things!

Not sure if that helps.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

IceFanatic3

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2003, 08:59 PM »
What kind of fish finder/depth finder did you get ??? I just purchased the Vexilar 8slt last year and it is really kicking ass for me :o I've been nailing every bite I get cause the finder works so well you can see almost right when the fish hits :D I love my fish finder ::)

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2003, 05:58 AM »
I prefer to fish for trout a few yards from shore at a lake there can be problems because larger lakes where theres trout muskies or northerns will want to feed off on them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.