Author Topic: Best Ultra Light Reel?  (Read 8762 times)

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Best Ultra Light Reel?
« on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:12 PM »
Ok guys what in your opinion is the best Ultra Light reel?  I don't want to break the bank here but I'm not going Kmart Special either.   I have been looking at several, silstar, shamano, okuma, and diawa

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Ultra Light Reel?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Limited only by your budget. There are many high quality reels on the market. If it's to be used for ice fishing I have found the shape of the spool to be a factor. Some reels have a shallow spool with smooth rounded exit lip. This is for casting quality and in my opinion not a good design for an ice fishing reel . Something with a deeper spool and a  sharper exit edge/lip works better on the ice. A smooth quality drag is an absolute must as is reeling smoothness. Just some thoughts. ;D

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:57 PM »
I was impressed with the Pflueger President...  super smooth..  now to save up....
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:06 PM »
buy a quantum optix 10...its 30 canadian at the local store and ive been very impressed.  probably buy a few more this winter  ;D

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:38 PM »
the optix are a good bang for your buck
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I need to start being paid by Tica because I can only answer reel questions one way...TICA CETUS, I was sold on them last season and I keep buying them up as they are great quality reels

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Go ahead! Break the bank! ;D

The Shimano Symetry is a bargain at $80!  ;D

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Just bought the New presidents Micro      SWEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:04 PM »
i have 2 shakespere sigmas. they have 3 ball berings and have a awesome drag for the price. paid $18 at walmart.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2006, 03:27 AM »
I use a shimaino that is 15 years old and still works like a champ. ;D ;D Oh yeah got it at K-mart on special..

hali-man

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2006, 05:03 AM »
How much is the Tica Cetus?
I've never even seen one.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2006, 05:11 AM »
How much is the Tica Cetus?
I've never even seen one.

right around $30 - $35  ...great reels! you may be able to beat the price a bit on ebay . lefty nailed it too...dont overlook the pflueger presidential for approximatley the same money ,also a hiqh quality dependable reel   ;)  i aslo use an abu garcia cardinal series ultra light for slightly less money ...tough little reel

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2006, 06:23 AM »
any shimano ultralight reel that fits your budget. i use shimano spinning reels almost exclusively for everything, you can't beat them. plus they have the best bearings going.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Shimano all the way for a spinning reel !
I wouldn't own another one of their bait cast reels .. too many problems with pawl gears but they make the best spinning reel for your money .

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2006, 07:39 AM »
Thanks guys, looks like a Tica, Shimano, or Pflueger.  Got my eye on a Pflueger Trion or the Okuma TP series with 9 BB looks like a nice reel.

What size Tica Cetus were you guys buying?  Is the LF500 too big?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2006, 08:39 AM »
thats the one, you can beat that price on ebay but you have to be willing to wait as the shipping is long becasue most sellers are over seas, if you buy if from an american seller you will be paying the same thing that thorne charges

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2006, 07:55 PM »
Tica cetus gv500, @ 25-30$ at gander mts. I,ve had 2 for 3yrs. still smooth & have a sweet drag, just picked up another to mount on my new st.croix legend ul. Get a bottle of berkley hot sauce reel oil for them & they will stay silky smooth at any temp. I even have 1 on my favorite open water bluegill rod, 3yrs. old & still crankin in gillies!        GOOD LUCK & FISH SAFE!

trapperdirk

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2006, 01:24 AM »
Ok you Tica Cetus pushers .  It's the one reel I won't touch unseen  even with all your dream talk as I have the and readily available , Okuma, shimanos and ,abu garcia 100's and 300's and even the mitchell avocet .

Yes I'm also starting to think from my use of reels that this BB thing is being over done . You should all look at where they are made and maybe take one  a part . Heck most are made in same country which is China and well known to create copies of anything . I'm thinking most are the same and even most of the spools are one and the same as are the drags . You want a real reel you will have to reach back in time . The prob is most have the old names attached and are such as the D.A.M. Quicks, Cardinal 4 ETC ,. ;) 

They also are heavy and bulky for what we prefer for icefishing tools .

Yeah my latest fad is the 300 Garcias and I like it better than the Okuma and some others but take some of these reels down and look at them and even be sure not to miss the spools . ;)

I don't think this reel called the Tica Cetus will show me anything unique or new . If your so stuck on it then send me one and I'll return the fav with  an Abu or whatever in same price range and take pics of the strip down . You may be surprised of what you have and some of the bearing nonsense . . ;) Tica Cetus has nothing on the rest nor do some of the others over and above the others as alot of them even share the SAME spools etc .

Yeah the colour of the dress may change but nothing else underneath is different  from some others . Look " REEL" close there SLIPBOB and ICEJUNKY   .ROTFLMAO .  Don't forget to count the parts . LOL.

Reminds me of some auger motor nonsense we hear about . Don't matter where you go in my world a Tecumseh engine is still a Tecumseh no matter what colour you paint on it or the handles or throttle linkages you attach to it .

Sure makes me chuckle and shake my head but please someone strip a Tica Cetus down or send me one so we can let some of this lay to rest as its just a pink dress with pink poke a dots to me instead of same in red or yellow .

I think the Abu 300 is sexier in my eyes even though the 100 basically has the same frame . ;D

TD

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2006, 01:55 AM »
Just an FYI on open water reels.  Recently St. Croix started marketing a reel to go along with their array of rods.  Which of course are fine rods.  But the reel they are marketing is made in China, shipped to the St. Croix factory in Wisconsin where it gets a ST. Croix sticker slapped on it.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

hali-man

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2006, 04:23 AM »
Sure makes me chuckle and shake my head but please someone strip a Tica Cetus down or send me one so we can let some of this lay to rest as its just a pink dress with pink poke a dots to me instead of same in red or yellow .

I think the Abu 300 is sexier in my eyes even though the 100 basically has the same frame . ;D

TD

THAT just made me laugh!  ;D
Simmer down, lad.
 8)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2006, 09:34 AM »
To each his own Trapper, Im not giving up on my Tica's any time soon as they have not given up on me, I dont claim them to be the best reels ever made, but they have been the best ice reels I have used thus far, and I have tried a few....St.Croix...Quan tum..and Shimano included in that lot.

So when asked my opinion I will still answer Tica Cetus

At this years Ontario G2G I will put one in your hands so you can take a peek at it, No taking it apart thou, I dont like to see casualties

dwayne

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Thanks guys, looks like a Tica, Shimano, or Pflueger.  Got my eye on a Pflueger Trion or the Okuma TP series with 9 BB looks like a nice reel.

If it isn't the Pflueger medalist don't even bother.  All their lower end reels do not hold up to use and abuse.  So far I have been liking my medalist but I've only had them for 1 year now.

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2006, 07:23 PM »
Well geewillikers, i,m not the only cranky sob that needs some hard H2O! LOL! Yur right Trapper, the bb thing is over done in a ul reel, thats why I get the low end model cetus with 4 & a roller bearing. Got a couple avocets I luv to stream fish with & a 300 for bassin. Best trick I know for any reel in cold weather is to clean out grease & use a light machine oil, right now i,d be happy with a schooly & a 2spot dropped thru a hole chopped with a camping axe! The good ole days before technology!     GOOD LUCK & FISH SAFE!

trapperdirk

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2006, 12:42 AM »
Well come on you two pushers Icejunky and Slipbob step up to the task and challenge . Break down these Tica sensations and give us your true comparisons other than " than they are the best "  . Tell us why they are the best in detail because the rest is just hogwash .

What are you comparing them too etc . ? ???  I'll buy but need more than your sell "its the best " because i'm not buying it or the BB thing anymore . My 300 with 7 bearings is every bit as smooth as my 10bb Okuma and my 100 's drag is as smooth as the 300  and only has 6bb and my Mitchell Avocet has 4 but clean drag .

Have you lads took one apart or used others . Well look at your reels first and see where they are manufactured and yes some spools can even be stuck on those of other brands  . Majority are made in China and my Shimanos are Japan but from what I am hearing that even has changed . ;)

Watch out the hook is baited but do please step up to the line to be counted or stop with the steady hard push unless giving us detailed info and comparisons as it just leaves us blindfolded feeling our way through a mirage . ;)

I'll buy and hunt a Tica down but tell me WHY it's worth the extra hunt other than it " just is ". . ;)

TD

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2006, 08:48 AM »
Classics  :D
Andrew

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2006, 11:06 AM »
None of the above, I fish with Tica Cetus's ;)   

Best ice reel I have ever owned.....backed with a Thorne Bros. custom rod....now that is reality!!!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:02 AM »
   Over the last few years i've tried most of the reels recommended on here.  Right now i use a quantum catalyst, shimano symetre, tica cetus, a crappy gander mountain special, and i just got one of rapala's reels, the one w/ 3 bb, yesterday, so i have yet to try that one. 
   Out of those, my fav is def. the symetre.  The drag is seemless, the action is really light, and it's very dependable.  I think it's the most freeze-up-resistant of any of my reels, too.  If $80 is outta your price range, the next 2 models down, i think they're called the sonora and the sahara, in the 750 sizes are almost as good, a buddy of mine has two of each. 
   The quantum is ok, but i think it's a little pricey.  It has proved to be very durable.  If it's out in the cold, though, it does tend to freeze up. I've heard great things about the quantum kinetic, which is the next step down from the catalyst. 
   The cetus is ok, but i don't like the thin spool on it.  It seems like it gets the line twisted too easy, esp. w/ floro. I like to fish light line like most of you guys on this site, but i've had more than a few nice pike drain that little spool. 
   Too be honest with ya, though, if you're looking at a cheap rod/reel to get started w/ the gander mountain one wasn't too bad.  $20 for the rod and the reel, and it hasn't broken on me yet in 2 years.  Hope that helps

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:10 PM »
I know for a fact that Tica used to be a parts supplier for the Shimano reels and few years ago they decided to break into the reel business themselves.  I purchased Tica Gemini for saltwater fishing few years ago and the quality of marksmanship is superb.  I've knever seen one of those Tica Cetus,  but you usually get what you pay for.  $35 worth of reel will usually buy you a piece of junk from any company that will last few seasons and turn into a pile of junk afterwards.  I have a bunch of Daiwa Laguna reels for my 2 and 4 lb combos.  The drag is silky smooth and the frame is all aluminum so it can not break or flex.  And the price was around hundred bucks,  which is average for average quality reel nowadays.  I aslo got one of those reels that came with the St Croix rod reel combo,  what a pile of junk.  I think I only used it for a dead stick few times because the drag is so bad on it                J.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:49 PM »
I have a St Croix and most pleased with it. The rod is sensitive, easy to handle and well balanced and tough as nails. I got it at the end of year clearance at Gander Mountain a couple of years ago with a reel for under $20
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline puddle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • miss ya brother in memory of mlp..........
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:19 PM »
zebco 808 hog cant be beat .....................3 .95 at local pawn shop.....or an 6 weight orvis if there biting on top water......... ;D
on the 8th day he created icefishing and on the 9th day he created vexilar........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.