Author Topic: Thinking of getting a flasher  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Totemir

• IceShanty Rookie
Thinking of getting a flasher
« on: Jul 04, 2019, 02:51 PM »
I’m thinking of getting a flasher for this winter. The thing is I have no idea what to look for in one.  So any words of wisdom will be appreciated. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thinking of getting a flasher
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2019, 05:45 PM »
the garmin striker 4 is a good place to start looking.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2019, 05:52 PM »
the garmin striker 4 is a good place to start looking.
I agree, nice unit for the price. Love the one I got my boy.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Easy to read and use.any vexilar.along with reliability it will put fish topside.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Budget? Flasher vs sonar? What do you usually fish?  Normal depths? Some questions that should be addressed to help pick what fits you. No matter what your answers are i'd wait till fall to see this year's new stuff and possibly save on last year's model if the new stuff doesn't trip your trigger

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Budget? Flasher vs sonar? What do you usually fish?  Normal depths? Some questions that should be addressed to help pick what fits you. No matter what your answers are i'd wait till fall to see this year's new stuff and possibly save on last year's model if the new stuff doesn't trip your trigger

Or go the complete opposite route and buy a used one when it's 90 degrees out. I bought an almost new Vexilar FL20 in the middle of summer last year for $200. Waited until October and sold my old FL18 for $275 on the first day I had it on Craigslist.

No matter what you do you will be more productive with one.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2019, 06:49 AM »
Hard to beat a FL18 as a first flasher. Has low power and zoom, unless you really want the bigger flat style screen, you won't feel like you need to upgrade any time soon. Vexilar reliability, so no reason not to buy a used one, or if you want the warranty, look into buying a reconditioned one direct from Vexilar, that's what I did. If you don't think you'll need the zoom feature, the FLX12 would be a great first flasher too.

Bottom line is they all work, Vexilar/Marcum/Hummingbird, there is no wrong answer.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Hard to beat a FL18 as a first flasher. Has low power and zoom, unless you really want the bigger flat style screen, you won't feel like you need to upgrade any time soon. Vexilar reliability, so no reason not to buy a used one, or if you want the warranty, look into buying a reconditioned one direct from Vexilar, that's what I did. If you don't think you'll need the zoom feature, the FLX12 would be a great first flasher too.

Bottom line is they all work, Vexilar/Marcum/Hummingbird, there is no wrong answer.

If you fish beyond 80' (I do) I actually prefer the 18 over the 20. The zoom jumps from 4 to 15x on the 20 so in 90' of water you only get 1/3 of the screen.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Hold on I’m making some popcorn. Maybe go to the electronics forum here and look at the voting poll thread.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Yeah, you could spend the next 3 days just reading up on this site....Tons of great info....Good luck..

Offline Totemir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I mostly fish for pickerel, walleye, trout, bass and panfish.  Probably the deepest local water is 50 feet but the finger lakes are about an hour away. As far as budget probably 500-600 would be max. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2019, 01:05 PM »
visit a big box store like BPS or Cabelas. see what they got. look at their options. pick the associates' brains to get a feel for what these units are all about. decide on what you need for your target fish. For me, I wanted to be able to tell the type of bottom, depth and if there is fish there. Basic units give you this info

Offline PapaMurphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2019, 05:53 AM »
garmin striker 4,  price point good all around and use it in my yak

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2019, 06:38 AM »

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2019, 09:03 AM »
I have had a marcum for a few seasons now, great flasher. Any flasher is great compared to not having one, a real game changer. A basic flasher is all that is needed, the rest are just bells and whistles. I bought a more expensive model and realized with experience I could have gone cheaper.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2019, 03:10 PM »
My suggestion would be check CL or offerup for a used Vexilar (prob FL-8 for around $160-200) OR go for the new option of the Garmin Striker 4.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2019, 07:28 PM »
I run a Marcum LX-5 since 2010. You can see crawdads at 52 ft.  It's worked flawlessly.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:10 PM »
I run a Marcum LX-5 since 2010. You can see crawdads at 52 ft.  It's worked flawlessly.
And your friends love you for it! ;D

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Is this for hard water only?  if so get a flasher if you fish year round get a Lowrance .. I prefer my lowrance in winter over the flasher style..  in graph mode it gives a little longer detail of what's up and what the fish are looking for.. also has a gps for the boat and while fishing the river the paddle wheel and gps combine for accurate trolling data .. only other finder besides lowrance is humming bird and there made in usa versus ware ever lowrance is made if your planning to sink so nice coin look at garmin panoptix bundle this can be used to locate weed  beds , fish schools of suspended fish.. and etc.. like structure man made or natural? I think pan optixs last I looked was abut $2,500.00 for all needed .. but that's some coin for a fish finder..

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2019, 09:25 PM »
Any flasher is better than none.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2019, 05:52 PM »
I’m thinking of getting a flasher for this winter. The thing is I have no idea what to look for in one.  So any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
  PM sent check your in box

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jul 11, 2019, 08:56 AM »
And your friends love you for it! ;D

If you can't beat 'em, Drown 'em!  (With megawatts)! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jul 11, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I mostly fish for pickerel, walleye, trout, bass and panfish.  Probably the deepest local water is 50 feet but the finger lakes are about an hour away. As far as budget probably 500-600 would be max.

Couple of features to look for ...bottom zoom ..for bottom hugging fish ie perch ...low power setting...cuts down on clutter in shallow water...either a 12 deg transducer or a dual beam transducer is nice . Also don't forget the base/case of the unit is important square vs round ..some have add on features ..rod holders etc Round fits in a 5 gallon bucket .

I would suggest with your price point the Vexilar FL18 ..great tried and true bullet proof unit

Some great reads

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/28/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/28/which-flasher-do-i-buy

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/28/so-you-want-to-buy-a-vexilar

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/28/how-to-ice-fish-with-a-vexilar-flasher

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/28/finding-hard-bottom

some good videos

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Totemir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input and thoughts. I decided to go with th Marcum LX 7.  Again thank you all very much

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Totemir,
Excellent choice!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Tom1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jul 24, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Check eBay for budget deals during the summer!  No matter what you get, they will all increase your catch.  Look on YouTube for flasher reviews, it will help you decide!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jul 24, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Check eBay for budget deals during the summer!  No matter what you get, they will all increase your catch.  Look on YouTube for flasher reviews, it will help you decide!
Not to be a jack wagon, but two posts up, he said he purchased an LX-7.  A good choice imho, since I have two of them.  ;D

My next ice unit will likely be a garmin unless the others step up their game big-time!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.