New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: small boat harbor  (Read 20060 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Re: small boat harbor
« Reply #90 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I spudded my way out towards the elevators by Southend Marina off of Gallagher beach. I drilled a hole and there was 8" of the hardest, blackest ice I've seen all year. I went out about 100 yds but have no doubt it is good all the way out to the elevators. I was on the north side off the beach.

If you're on the north side of the elevators BE VERY CAREFUL.. The current comes in around the point and the ice there is usually not good. A few years ago a buddy of mine spudded his way out there and the ice went from 7" to an inch in ten feet. Don't know if that's the case every year, but BE VERY CAREFUL.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:51 AM »
I've been out there several times over the years and always approach it with caution. The ice can be inconsistent. I don't take it for granted but if the ice is good I'm not going to be at home on the couch either.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline ratfink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Careful just passed the wall there is a strong current the ice doesn't get very thick there, sometimes I've seen open water in that area even after long cold spells

x2, there is a very strong current once you get to the end of the grain elevator

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #93 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:22 AM »
AON south side of elevators should be good, and a poster above said 8 inches of hard ice. If you go past the elevator into the main channel or the north side of elevators sounds like you get current in there, and ice could vary. Fished the south side many times where the tug boats are now right next to elevators.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:40 AM »
AON south side of elevators should be good, and a poster above said 8 inches of hard ice. If you go past the elevator into the main channel or the north side of elevators sounds like you get current in there, and ice could vary. Fished the south side many times where the tug boats are now right next to elevators.
thank you, iv heard a lot of guys fishing around the grain mills I just never tried it, maybe this weekend

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:26 PM »
south side of grain mills is the best spot, and safest, in that area. I tried off the beach a few years ago but that's all shallow and sandy, not even worth the time. As I've stated before, and as others stated, the channel area is NOT an ideal place to ice fish due to current. Just because guys fish out of hamburg beach or sturgeon point, doesn't mean the ice is the same out by or past the break walls. You crazies that want to try have been warned..... :nono:
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Seen a few guys in between the boats next to the grain mill today was wondering how the ice and fishing was out there?

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Are the smelt in thick yet?

Offline Rmeyers77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Does anyone know how the fishing is inside the marina at sturgeon point

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:24 AM »
Not sure but I do know that guys are getting out to the perch grounds, There are a few Sturgeon Pt threads if you search it.

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Ill be in harbor tommorow. Ill let you all know what I catch. I used to be on this site when it ffirst started years ago. Message me for catch. I don't remeber what board to use????

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Hows the bite been in the harbor?

Offline scottman928

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:42 AM »
hi whats the best bait for the small boat harbor.

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Spikes and minnows emeralds.  Was out lasr fri.caught 2-300 fish 1 perch at 12" everything else was under 6". I wish they would put a 9" size limit on erie and upper river waters. So many giys keep small 6" and under perch.

Offline fishin716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:49 PM »
A 9in size limit is a good idea don't know why people would waste their time cleaning dinks

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Anyone got a report from today? Just wondering how much snow is on the ice after the storm today. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Deep snow is tough for me to get through since I got hurt a few years back. I was looking to head down in the morning and wanted to know what conditions to expect. Thanks again.

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:27 PM »
A 9in size limit is a good idea don't know why people would waste their time cleaning dinks

A 9" law on perch wouldn't affect the size in the sbh, the small ones come in and the big ones stay out, at least %98 of the time

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:36 PM »
The little ones would eventually be bigger. I have caught at times 30 or so perch iout of their in the12-14" size you got to move and follow them. Biggest I ever got 16"s by grain mill's. Usually in march.I've already seen some 12"rs come out this year. But only a few it's still early to get the bigger ones.I usually get them with a minnow on a hoik or a small ant jig green with a spike. An old timer there uses a rapala ice lure with spikes on the treble hook on the lure and he does well too.if you fish the harbor don't go were everyone is.THAT DOSNT MEAN THIER CATCHING FISH...Remember were you are.for some reason when the smelt are really thick in there so are the bigger perch I've noticed this threwout the years.coul you imagine what a awsome perch fishery it would be if all those little ones were always put back..

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:02 AM »
Has anyone fished between the grain mills and the old  steel plant or down the canal to the old steel plant?

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:02 AM »
Has anyone fished between the grain mills and the old  steel plant or down the canal to the old steel plant?

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Spikes and minnows emeralds.  Was out lasr fri.caught 2-300 fish 1 perch at 12" everything else was under 6". I wish they would put a 9" size limit on erie and upper river waters. So many giys keep small 6" and under perch.
The number of small fish does not affect the number of big fish on a bay off of a system as big as Erie by any means. You couldn't keep enough small perch to hurt the population or increase the fish size of that place. The big fish come in when they come in. Keeping small ones neither hurts or helps the average size. It would if food or space was limited but that's not the case. 
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Really, I remember Fishing chataqua and people were keeping any size crappie like people do perch you could bring garbage cans full home. Now look at it.I'm just saying in a lake that size with the ability of perch to get that big and they do. It would make a huge difference. Look at silver lake most people put back perch 8"s or less and its not uncommon to cath 2-3 pound perch. And plenty over the 9" mark. But hey to each their own.

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:26 AM »
When it comes to lake erie just look up set commercial harvest rate lake wide on perch and Walleye. Last yrs quota was 12.1 million pounds of perch and 12.237 million walleye. So is keeping or throwing back a dink perch gonna hurt it? . I'll post when I hear the date the biologist will be at south towns this year any with lake Erie questions should go you'll learn a lot about it's ecosystem and fish numbers.  Between 4 of us last yr 1000 walleye caught and kept from eastern basin with a charter capt being one at over 400 eyes.  The lake is healthy and abundant with fish. I can't remember figures on numbers of fish but walleye population is within a 100 million give or take with higher perch numbers. I'm sure a another south towns member is also on this site and will know exact numbers .
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Really, I remember Fishing chataqua and people were keeping any size crappie like people do perch you could bring garbage cans full home. Now look at it.I'm just saying in a lake that size with the ability of perch to get that big and they do. It would make a huge difference. Look at silver lake most people put back perch 8"s or less and its not uncommon to cath 2-3 pound perch. And plenty over the 9" mark. But hey to each their own.

Do you realize how big the lake is and how many perch are in lake Erie, if 10,000 dinks were released instead of kept in the sbh it wouldn't do a damn thing to the population, there's probly 10,000 perch killed by predators every hour in the lake, I'm not saying I keep small perch but to say your theory will work is incorrect.

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:45 AM »
I ment Seneca lake in my last post.

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #115 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:55 AM »
When it comes to lake erie just look up set commercial harvest rate lake wide on perch and Walleye. Last yrs quota was 12.1 million pounds of perch and 12.237 million walleye. So is keeping or throwing back a dink perch gonna hurt it? . I'll post when I hear the date the biologist will be at south towns this year any with lake Erie questions should go you'll learn a lot about it's ecosystem and fish numbers.  Between 4 of us last yr 1000 walleye caught and kept from eastern basin with a charter capt being one at over 400 eyes.  The lake is healthy and abundant with fish. I can't remember figures on numbers of fish but walleye population is within a 100 million give or take with higher perch numbers. I'm sure a another south towns member is also on this site and will know exact numbers .
What were the commercial harvests back 20+ years ago ? Do the commercial harvest rates you reference imply commercial fishing is good or bad for the lake ? Here's a pic out of the scrapbook from the 'ole days just before my father pulled out the burlap sacks .. Before the Southtowner's got involved ..
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:12 AM »
I do not know those numbers from 20 yrs ago but if a fisherie couldn't handle a harvest they would cut it back. I hsve to say nice catch there. Were those caught out of Buffalo then?  What was the limit per man then? I can't tell you if commercial fishing is good or bad but the lake handles it no problem it seems. The point i was making is fishermen aren't even going to put a dent in it's fish  population. Also things are setting up right for a great spawn this yr with the ice cover. More ice = higher hatch due to water temp creek run off and silt. Cold water keeps fish from spawning early so creeks flush out with high water before temps reach spawning temperate zone. So eggs don't get silted in. In theary 3 yrs from now the numbers of 16 inch fish should be high.

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Jackie bushman actually real impressed with that pic and its age because it is a great example of this lakes resilience. Go back to the late 70s when the waters were almost dead and dead fish all over. I was young but remember the news feeds. The color of the water was disgusting to say the least. Erie was almost wrote off but she rebounded strong obviously stronger than i had ever known.  I think now she just has natural cycles which will be up and down, but the invasive species will play a big role both good and bad. I was amazed the first perch i saw puke up zebra muscles and bellies full if gobies in other species. As the lake adapts fishing will always be good I believe

FrankM

« Reply #118 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:30 AM »
All this debate on having a size limit on perch so they will get bigger so you can get more big perch in the SBH is pure foolishness. Lake Erie is full of huge perch.  The SBH is full of dinks.  Why? Because the shallow waters with weeds are like nurseries where dinks live until they get bigger.  That's why the Canadians have their fish sanctuary the other side of Point Abino.  It's shallow over there too.  That's where a lot of the spawning takes place and the juvenile fish tend to live until they get big enough to head out into the main lake and chase bigger prey.   If the perch population in Lake Erie was low then some sort of restrictions would be in order but there is no shortage of perch out there now.  If it makes you feel good to throw back the little ones, go ahead.  Comparing perch in Lake Erie to calicoes in Chautauqua is not a valid comparison.  Chautauqua is a much smaller system.  Also the 25 fish limit is what really helped the calicoes come back.  The old days of catching hundreds of them is what almost destroyed the population.  If you want a good shot at catching bigger perch in the SBH use bigger bait and fish in the bay over by Freezer Queen.  Big minnows under tip downs will produce more big perch. Or fish with a bigger jig. You can pull dinks out one after another with little jigs and grubs but the keeper ratio is about 1:50 .  With the big minnows I typically can keep 1:10.

Offline St_croix_icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Can we get back to the fishing reports on the harbor please

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.