Author Topic: Gardners elusive walleye  (Read 2328 times)

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
Gardners elusive walleye
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:54 PM »
 Fished Gardners today from 11am to 10pm. had some constant action during the day, a few bass, alot of pickerel, and a few perch during the daylight hours. Set up for walleye a little shallower around 4ish, after dark..... nothing. Fifth time out there in the last 2 weeks in search of the elusive walleye putting some serious hours in after dark with the same results...... nothing! Had 8 inches of ice and hoping it will hold up for a while. Highlight of the day was having a bald eagle come down and take a pickerel off the ice. Made my day seeing that, although a fat walleye would have been better!

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gardners elusive walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:13 AM »
fishing pressure will shut down the bite quickly.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:14 AM »
Red house off the right of the boat launch is ok shallow 5 to 14 don't go to deep weeds but you have a rocky bottom on both sides of the weeds good luck you need to bounce around at different deps till you find them but that had been a ok spot for me can't give it all up but hope this helps

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:53 AM »
Thanks, that’s exactly where I set up when I go out. 
-Josh

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:01 AM »
How are the edges? Is the boat ramp still thin? I am looking to go out there Friday evening.
-Josh

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:51 AM »
 Edges are still open here and there. Boat ramp is open, but you can get on and off to the left hand side no problem.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Gardner has been hit hard this yr. harder than in the last two yrs. More keepers caught than any other yr. Walleye can be very elusive,knowing they are there and not catching them.is a hard pill to swallow ,Many shorts as well as keeper size have been returned to the lake. I target them every time i'm on the lake,with variable results,from zero to 8 keepers ,with shorts mixed in.Finding the right spots is key,one night they may be on fire were you are the next night nada,Noise,and light have a big input on your success.Our wonderful state is cutting back on the walleye stocked in this lake.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Don't get discouraged. The weather has been all over the place for a couple of weeks. The barometer is like a yoyo, of all the fish in the lake my experience has been that walleye are among the most sensitive to fluctuations. If we get a few days of consistent cold weather with the barometer pegged in the 29.6-30.4 range, that's the time for a bite.

I was there Saturday night with a buddy, we brought lots of suds and eats because the results were predictable with a SW wind. In the hour before dark we burned through 4 dozen baits, a smorgasbord of stinklogs, stripers, green carp and bubbas. When the witching hour arrived it was over, not a flag between 6:30 and 9.  :(  Nice pile of empty cans to take home though.

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:08 AM »
 Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I'm not gonna get discouraged tho, I am on a mission now! I have ice fished for many years but never targeted the walleye until this year. Having some extra time on my hands this winter I decided to try something different. I think my next trip there i'm gonna try to set up about 3/4 of the way down the west side. A little bit of a walk, but it will get me away from the noisy crowds. Of all the times I have been there this year I have seen no one down there. The whole south end does get fished hard.

Eiderz, I was also there Sat. night. I was set up on the south shore about half way between the boat launch and the east side of the lake. There must have been at least 15 to 20 guys set up down in that corner and out to the island. I stayed to about 11pm. with only one flag after dark around 10ish, a short bass. I see your from Old Saybrook, I'm just across the river in Old Lyme.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:25 AM »
The big group of guys on Saturday was a get together. We went down the lake a ways, it didn't matter where you were, I heard of no good walter bite.

The lake is bigger than it looks, it's a long walk to 3/4 of the way down. Wherever you end up fishing find the 10-15 foot dropoff and fish that top and bottom until dusk. Move your spread into 2-5 feet at dark.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Not the best day on the barometer, but I'm feeling an itch that needs to be scratched this afternoon.  :whistle:

Offline noideer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I feel the itch also.  heading up around 3 see ya there.
"You have to fish all of the time to catch them some of the time".

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:54 PM »
 I wanted to get up there today but had to do my income taxes tonight. I'm going to be headed up there tomorrow around noonish and also Saturday. One of my fishing buddies went there today, he set up right off the boat launch and tended from his truck. I have not heard from him tonight so my guess is he struck out. Good luck to you guys up there tonight.

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:02 AM »
 Finally got a few! Made the long hike down the lake on the west side yesterday. Set up around 2pm and started chasing flags right away. Mostly picks but a nice bass and some perch too. Moved in a little shallower towards dark. ( 4 to 6 feet of water). Stayed till 1 am and ended up with 2 shorts. Was with a couple of buddies, one got 2 shorts also, just undersize. My other friend lost a big one at the hole. I guess i'm the right track now, just gotta find some bigger ones and hope this warm weather and rain does not wipe too much of this ice away.

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:27 AM »
How were the edges yesterday?

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:32 AM »
 The edges were good, saw a few open spots along the shore headed up the west side and at the beach to the right of the boat launch, but got right on at the boat launch no problem. had about 7-8 inches of ice where i was fishing.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Me, farnz1611 and cutler331 hit the North end last evening. Great time, a few fish and lots of laughs. Unfortunately the ice was going fast, what was solid when we arrived was cracking as we walked around at 8:00 and water was pouring up through small holes. Fog was so thick we had to run back 100' off the bank and got to enjoy all of our gear in the lake. Everything was fished out and nobody wet above the knees, but I would say it's over on that lake. At least it is for me.

Be safe everyone.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:58 AM »
glad no one got hurt,once Gardner turns to losing ice,its not often it comes back,I had a great time on it this yr. The boat will be ready in about a month,My quest for Walter is Headed to GS in upstate new york this weekend,Walleye challenge,$80,000 tourney,Bugs and I will represent CT.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Yes, glad nobody got hurt. Calamity Bob swam with the fishes, now CB is heading to the barn for 10 months of rest.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Glad you all got out ok, wanted to go one more time but my neck and back aren’t letting me do too much just yet :'(

Offline Farnz1611

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Great night meeting eiderz and an ever better adventure. Thanks to calamity bob for keeping us afloat and eiderz for working the paddle like a champ and fishing the gear out of the water.

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:19 AM »
   :o Wow, sounds like quite  the adventure! Glad everyone is ok and all your gear was recovered!!! I guess it does not look too good for anymore outings at Gardners this year. Man, and I was just getting dialed in. Oh well, it has just been nice not to travel too far this year to get on some good ice. Maybe some of the smaller ponds will survive this. Everyone be safe and good luck!

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:36 PM »
oh man glad everyone's ok - this long rain is taking a toll on the ice

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Glad everybody made it out ok.

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:24 PM »
eiderz!!! That's one story I will always tell with a smile on my face! What a great adventure!!!
Hands out to  Calamity Bob and eiderz magic sting thru immense fog. Hope we can do it again some time. In better conditions lol. Be safe everyone! Cheers!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:27 AM »
eiderz!!! That's one story I will always tell with a smile on my face! What a great adventure!!!
Hands out to  Calamity Bob and eiderz magic sting thru immense fog. Hope we can do it again some time. In better conditions lol. Be safe everyone! Cheers!

We'll do it again, and find a walter bite. Not in FogArea. One walter, a striper and some green carp wasn't satisfying. Good suds and dogs though.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.