Author Topic: Reuse dead bait  (Read 2181 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reuse dead bait
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Do you reuse your dead bait the next trip out or do you just dump it?  When I use herring I find they are very soft if I try to reuse them but I have done it with the big shiners. 

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
Re: Reuse dead bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:00 AM »
Some people have luck with dead bait... I never do though  :'( when my shiners die the best they can do for me is fertilize the garden.

Offline infamusc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard water fanatic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:25 AM »
What I do is pack the dead bait in a ziplock bag with salt, until the next time I go out.  I then will cut the heads off and jig with them on a Swedish pimple, or a spoon. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:12 AM »
I try not to. I like fresh dead.  Killed at the hole. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:51 AM »
I will use them for about 3 trips.  After that they get pretty mushy.  I am using mostly fallfish, though.  I also pre-catch and freeze all of my dead bait.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:37 AM »
I will use them for about 3 trips.  After that they get pretty mushy.  I am using mostly fallfish, though.  I also pre-catch and freeze all of my dead bait.

How's your luck with the frozen fallfish?
I'll catch them from shore in summer and just throw em back in the river.

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:07 PM »
I find that they are reusable about 3 times too...  they seem to get about 3 times as stinky too

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:18 PM »
I just keep them alive all season...

<°)))>{

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:55 AM »
I try not to. I like fresh dead.  Killed at the hole.
you murderer!  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:03 AM »

I never waste bait I salt it and reuse it at some point , I have pretty good luck with it

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:14 PM »
How's your luck with the frozen fallfish?
I'll catch them from shore in summer and just throw em back in the river.

They are my second favorite bait besides goldies.  I have caught plenty of good ones including a 20lber with frozen fallfish.

Offline tmartin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I find if I save the bait after a catch, when  reuse it it works even better!  Usually  a few catches on a 4" bait

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I prep my deads with salt. Dry packed for 48 - 72 hours then heavily brined. Salt toughens 'em up considerably and seems to have a positive effect on getting bit as well. Use 'em till they won't stay on the hook anymore.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Can you give details on the process as I have never done this before.  What type salt, etc?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Got a water softener? That works. I process a lot so I've got 40# of solar salt just for that, lasts 2 - 3 years. So here's what I do:

No secrets here (you're not the first to ask).

You can't get 'em too salty. I usually start by dry packing in salt for 2 - 3 days. This helps remove some of the moisture to make more "room" from the brine. Always use plain salt (not iodized or table salt). Dirty ol' rock salt works just fine.

Next, I'll boil water on the stove and keep adding salt until it won't dissolve any more (science calls it super saturated). If you don't mind the stink you can use some of that dry pack salt (now fish juice moist) to make your brine. On cooling some of that dissolved salt will precipitate out as solids or crystallize, no matter. Just leave it in there. Add your partially dehydrated bait to a zippy bag, cover 'em with brine and let 'em soak a bit. I've always got a gallon jug of ready to use.

I still like to store in the freezer as added insurance against spoilage but they never really freeze so they're always ready to fish. I was skeptical but like to follow the law because I like to fish and here blatant infractions can cost you your privileges and I'm not having that. The big surprise was that for the first couple of years the salted bait far outperformed any previous years with just frozen.

Never felt the need to add anything else: Gulp, Fish Formula, garlic or anything else. I did play years ago with injecting some of that stuff but never really felt that it made a big difference. Not sayin' it doesn't work or help just that I don't feel the need for it.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Why would table salt be so much different?  I salted some with it when I ran out of kosher bait still looks and feels fine can the fish really tell the difference between iodized salt and kosher salt or any other type of salt
Go big or go home

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:07 PM »
I don't like table salt because it's iodized. If you taste both you can get the odd iodine flavor in the table stuff, at least I can. If you believe that scent and taste plays into the equation it may make a difference.

Like I said, don't need fancy salt for deads (I cook with Kosher), just dip a tub of rock or crystals (pellets don't work as well and may have other additives) out of your water softener. I buy a 40# bag of solar salt for softeners on sale for about $4 for non-edible brining projects. Lasts a long time.

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Due to time restrictions with family usually I have to be quick in bringing bait in after trip....
I lightly rinse the pondies, dry them well with paper towels then vaccum seal them so they are not on top of each other but lined up, worked pretty good so far, no freezer burn

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.