The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: smokers  (Read 2414 times)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
smokers
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:43 PM »
after some serious use over the last decade..i finally put my smoke vault propane smoker out to pasture..(landfill)....although a cedar walk in handmade house is temping...aint gonna happen....any thoughts on electric vs propane?....taste and temp consisentcy are my main priorities...and also space....it seems like the bigger the smoker the more I had to shift racks during the process..is it better to do more runs in a smaller smoker ? these are a few things I am considering....

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: smokers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I used to own a Masterbuilt 4 rack electric smoker.  It worked very well, and I was quite happy with it.  I sold it to a friend and bought a Masterbuilt 6 rack smoker.  I am even happier with it.  Both smokers have excellent temperature control. One advantage of the 6 rack smoker is that it has built in wheels, which makes it easy to move it from my garage out to the covered deck where I do my smoking. Another advantage is that it has a built-in digital thermometer probe for monitoring the internal temperature of meat, fish, or sausage which you are smoking.  Masterbuilt smokers are quite reasonably priced, and I recommend them.  An advantage of Masterbuilt smokers over Bradley smokers is that you have to use Bradley chip pucks in Bradley smokers, but you can use less expensive bagged or home-made wood chips in a Masterbuilt smoker.

All smokers will have some unevenness in temperature and smoke density from one area to the other inside the smoke chamber.  You can reduce that unevenness by installing a fan inside the smoke chamber, which I did on the 4 rack smoker.  In both smokers, I periodically rotate the trays from top to bottom and spin them 180 degrees so all the meat, sausage or fish ends up with roughly the same internal temperature and amount of smoke.  I smoke sausages lying down on racks, and I rotate the racks, because that produces much more even smoking than hanging the sausages in the smoke chamber.  Particularly when smoking sausages with natural casings, which have curves and will result in hanging sausages leaning against other sausages.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Broke down and bought a pellet grill this summer.  Retired both the smoker and my gas grill at the same time.  I got the cabela's one, my dad has green mountain, and I know several people with traegers.  All awesome, feeds pellets for you so you don't have to refresh your chips, lots of temperature options and consistent temps.  Lot's of different sizes too depending on how much you want to spend.  I got the medium sized one and can smoke 40-50 8inch kokanees in a batch.  Good for everything, brisket, ribs, lobster, pork chops, never going back!

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:55 PM »
You may want to look at a SmokinTex, I believe they are built better.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:58 PM »
smoked lobster?  mouth watering ...man you must live large matcat.....would I be able to use my own chips in the hopper?..i like the oak..apple and cherry I find locally...

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:12 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20078715-Electric-Digital-Controller/dp/B0187YZDWK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515007052&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=masterbuilt%2Bsmoker&th=1

is this one youd recommend pete?
My current Masterbuilt smoker is a 40" smoker, but is black and doesn't have a front window. I got it from Cabelas.  A window will get gunked up and look gross.  IF you don't smoke big batches of meat, fish, or sausage, the 30" smoker would be fine.  If you smoke big batches, the 40" smoker would make more sense.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:04 PM »
i have a master built 30 inch elec. works great. from pork butts,sausages,briskets so on. the only thing i did not like is the small chip tray. you have to fill it to many times on a long smoke. i bought a a-maz-n pellet smoker it is just a smoke generator it will put out smoke for 1 hr to 12hr. master built is well insulated set temp and timer your set.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:06 PM »
My current Masterbuilt smoker is a 40" smoker, but is black and doesn't have a front window. I got it from Cabelas.  A window will get gunked up and look gross.  IF you don't smoke big batches of meat, fish, or sausage, the 30" smoker would be fine.  If you smoke big batches, the 40" smoker would make more sense.

I've owned 2 of the 40" Masterbuilt smokers and absolutely love them.  However, just as MatCat did, I bought a pellet grill the week before Thanksgiving.  I picked up the Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone and couldn't be happier.  It's super easy, temp control is a breeze, and the results are incredible.  The one advantage over the Traegers is that you can set the temperature to 500 degrees so you can sear meat.  I retired a grill and a smoker at the same and don't think I'll look back.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:19 PM »
I've owned 2 of the 40" Masterbuilt smokers and absolutely love them.  However, just as MatCat did, I bought a pellet grill the week before Thanksgiving.  I picked up the Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone and couldn't be happier.  It's super easy, temp control is a breeze, and the results are incredible.  The one advantage over the Traegers is that you can set the temperature to 500 degrees so you can sear meat.  I retired a grill and a smoker at the same and don't think I'll look back.
500 degrees..that could come in handy for pizza..all this info is making my head spin.gonna go sit on the ice and chase some trout this afternoon...maybe the peace will bring some clarity..lol...

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:21 PM »
500 degrees..that could come in handy for pizza..all this info is making my head spin.gonna go sit on the ice and chase some trout this afternoon...maybe the peace will bring some clarity..lol...

already making good decisions

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:21 PM »

The Green Mountain Grills line have a pizza oven insert that you can put in the smoker specifically for that purpose.  That's my next purchase.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:54 PM »
I have the 40" masterbuilt one as well. Got it for a steal at Cabelas in the bargain cave. Someone has purchased it and returned it because it was missing a few of the nuts and bolts to put it together. I called Masterbuilt and within like 3 days, I had the hardware kit to finish putting it together and into service. As far as the smoker itself is concerned, I really like this one for an electric non pellet smoker. The price I paid which by the was less than $125.00 made it an even sweeter deal. I gave my little chief to a nephew once I got this new one. I like the remote control, heat probe etc. Not sure that a window is absolutely necessary as it does get built up with gunk, but it came as part of the deal. I always walk thru the bargain cave everytime I visit a cabelas store looking for steals just like this one. Normally this unit retails at like $429.99.

GF

Offline higgibrc239

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:44 PM »
None of the reasonably price electric smokers hold/control temp for shi*. I use a Bradley and the biscuits are convenient and smoke well, but I use an Auber PID control. It takes a bit to figure out the programming if you're not semi-nerdy type or stuck in the 20th century. It will not jump or drop temps and will hold to 1 degree. Heres what I use but they had setups for different smokers also:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=380

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Higgibrc239,

Excellent first post. far better than the old 1,2,3 only to never see a post from the person again. :)

P.S. I have to admit, my Masterbuilt loses heat when it gets opened up. With the meat probe, the need to open it is not as significant as it is with smokers that don't have one.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:07 PM »
The only problem I've had with my current Masterbuilt smoker is if I smoke things in hot weather, the heating coil doesn't need to turn on as frequently to maintain any specific temperature, so the smoker doesn't produce as much smoke.  This is particularly a problem when smoking kokanee or lake trout in hot weather, because my temperature schedule starts with a pretty low temperature (130 for an hour, 150 for an hour, 170 for an hour, continuing at that temperature until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 for half an hour) in order to avoid the generation of albumin curds ("boogers") on the surface of the smoked fish.  Smoking at higher temperatures in hot weather isn't a problem, and in cold weather the smoker churns out smoke like crazy at any set temperature.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:22 PM »
I do all of my smoking on two large Big Green Eggs with pit controllers made by BBQ Guru.  Salmon, trout, turkeys, venison bologna, sausages of many kinds, bacon, etc.  Just ask if I can be of any help.

Smoke away!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:23 PM »
The only problem I've had with my current Masterbuilt smoker is if I smoke things in hot weather, the heating coil doesn't need to turn on as frequently to maintain any specific temperature, so the smoker doesn't produce as much smoke.  This is particularly a problem when smoking kokanee or lake trout in hot weather, because my temperature schedule starts with a pretty low temperature (130 for an hour, 150 for an hour, 170 for an hour, continuing at that temperature until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 for half an hour) in order to avoid the generation of albumin curds ("boogers") on the surface of the smoked fish.  Smoking at higher temperatures in hot weather isn't a problem, and in cold weather the smoker churns out smoke like crazy at any set temperature.
won't have that problem..so many bears around..most all my smoking is done in the winter....just got back from the ice..meh...when I went a few days back..i left my camera and caught 2 rainbows over 20 inches..today I brought the camera and ..well...wasn't skunked..but meh..seems like I always have better luck when I forget my camera or net in the summer..superstitious I suppose....I saw the smoker you got and its $150 off right now at cabellas....so instead of 419 its $289 or something..wont wood fire my pizza..but am leaning that way....

Offline higgibrc239

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Additional tips for ambient conditions- Keep in the shade in the summer of just having the smoke goin will go over temps, keeping in the sun in the winter will help, always keep out of the wind, and in winter it really helps if you make a plywood box to set of the entire smoker (or use in the garage with a dryer vent hose out a window).

Offline higgibrc239

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Oh and GF HARDWATER GUY, figured I could contribute something around here if I don't know much about ice fishing. Thanks!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Listen to the advice of a good number of the folks on this blog and you can and will learn a lot. I have found a wealth of information here and appreciate the tips that are offered up. There is a core of what appears to be real good folks here.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:16 PM »
smoked lobster?  mouth watering ...man you must live large matcat.....would I be able to use my own chips in the hopper?..i like the oak..apple and cherry I find locally...
I don't think chips would work, haven't tried them, the hoppers are designed for the little pellets, the brand of pellets doesn't really make a difference.  The big chips though would clog things up I imagine.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:19 PM »
I don't think chips would work, haven't tried them, the hoppers are designed for the little pellets, the brand of pellets doesn't really make a difference.  The big chips though would clog things up I imagine.
I bought a work truck back in Nebraska yrs ago...loaded it up with a half cord of oak....which I use for my heavy smoke...that complemented with flathead cherry and the cuttings from my apple orchard..gives me the combo I really like..thanks for the input..sounds like I need a smoker with a pan below where I can manipulate my chips...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I did end up with the 40 from cabellas...they were saying I needed an insulation cover..i am thinking of just making a box to slip over with 2 inch blue board...grout it with great stuff foam..blah blah blah...do you use an insulated cove?r..it sounds like maybe outside smoking in winter conditions.. its a necessity...

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:21 AM »
I did end up with the 40 from cabellas...they were saying I needed an insulation cover..i am thinking of just making a box to slip over with 2 inch blue board...grout it with great stuff foam..blah blah blah...do you use an insulated cove?r..it sounds like maybe outside smoking in winter conditions.. its a necessity...
I don't use an insulating cover on my Masterbuilt smoker, and I smoke outside on a covered deck in some pretty cold weather with no problems.  I suggest that you try using the smoker for a while before you spend money buying an insulating cover.  I think you'll find that you don't need one.

On my previous 30" Masterbuilt smoker, in real cold weather the smoker wouldn't start up unless I first heated up the temperature sensor inside it with a hair dryer or a heat gun.  I haven't had that problem with my current 40" Masterbuilt smoker, and hope that Masterbuilt has fixed that problem with all its smokers.

If you store your smoker outside where rain or snow can get on it, which isn't a good idea, you'll want to get some kind of rain cover for it, so it doesn't get rusted or the electronics don't get damaged.  I store my smoker in my garage to protect it from bears.  You won't want to store it inside your house because they're kind of stinky.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I built a homemade smoker based on the dimensions of an oven rack. Made it tall enough to slide 4 individual racks in. It's made out of cedar fencing to withstand the elements a little better. In the bottom I have 2 hot plates. On 1 of them sits a stainless bowl to put the soaked chips in, the other is there to increase the temp (if need be). Works like a charm!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Sound like a great idea B2J👍

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I built a homemade smoker based on the dimensions of an oven rack. Made it tall enough to slide 4 individual racks in. It's made out of cedar fencing to withstand the elements a little better. In the bottom I have 2 hot plates. On 1 of them sits a stainless bowl to put the soaked chips in, the other is there to increase the temp (if need be). Works like a charm!
Here's a homemade smoker built by a friend from Missoula from a railroad signal box.  It has both electric and propane smoke generators, and has several fans inside the chamber to circulate smoke and minimize temperature differences.  A disadvantage is that it is definitely not portable. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Haha!!! That's great! :o

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:47 PM »
If your Masterbuilt won't turn on because the outside temp is too low (below zero IIRC) you can also just soak a paper towel with hit water and hang it on the probe.

That bumps the temp up to where the thermostat will trip the heating element and get it going.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.