The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fish Piles  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish Piles
« on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:58 AM »
I was told that each fisherman should keep his or her catches in separate piles so as a CO can determine who's fish are who's.  Cant find info on that in the book.  Seems odd because summer fishing is not that way.  Any info on that?
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Fish Piles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:00 AM »
I keep mine separate any time of year.probably depends on the mood of big brother.lol

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Makes sense to me. You are only allowed 25 gill limit per fisherman. As for me I never put fish on the ice. They either go straight back or in my pale. If the C O told me that I would take that as a warning. Just my opinion.
Rp

Offline RedShantyMi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:55 AM »
If you ever fished Erie much you learn there is no such thing as  a boat limit. Same thing goes on the ice. Trick the C O's use is ask how many fish each person caught.  Two guys in the boat with ten walleye, on says he caught 4, the other said he caught 6. The guy who caught 6 gets a ticket! Same thing on the ice.

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I know of a guy last yr who got a ticket for giving a guy 3 fish when he had his limit.they came off with 25 each but co watched with binoculars and watched guy 1 give 3 fish to guy 2 then they walked off.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:03 AM »
An extremely simple rule that requires very little effort for compliance.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:19 AM »
You should keep your fish by themselves, alot of people you fish with will try to get you to mix em all up with theirs, but don't give into the peer pressure. You are responsible for yourself, unless you facilitate somebody else's unlawful actions, by providing a ride or shelter.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:41 PM »
I know of a guy last yr who got a ticket for giving a guy 3 fish when he had his limit.they came off with 25 each but co watched with binoculars and watched guy 1 give 3 fish to guy 2 then they walked off.
       The limit is 25 daily, per person, catching some for your buddy, is a loyal gesture so everyone got "their" limit, but if they see you leave or throw fish to your buddy, you better hope they are not counting them as you are in deep sh**!!!

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:45 PM »
If you ever fished Erie much you learn there is no such thing as  a boat limit. Same thing goes on the ice. Trick the C O's use is ask how many fish each person caught.  Two guys in the boat with ten walleye, on says he caught 4, the other said he caught 6. The guy who caught 6 gets a ticket! Same thing on the ice. You won't get it ticket at the limited six and I do think the limit on Lake Erie is 6

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:06 PM »
It's not what you catch but what you keep, even if it's given to someone else.

Offline Outdoor2dacore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:32 PM »
As far as I am concerned this is BS rule that looks negatively on sportsman and promotes not sharing and helping others out.  Some days, especially on the open water, say I was te only one to catch my limit of lake trout and my buddy can't buy a bite, I'm going to share those fish and regardless and we will both hopefully end up with a limit.  I can't believe we actually have COs enforcing that crap.  Thankfully I've only ever had very positive accounts with them in NW lower Michigan, if i had them ever give me a hard time about that, I don't think I would take It too well. We have way too many more serious violations occurring on a regular basic to have them spending their time girlything footing around and harassing average joes helping each other out.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:36 PM »
It's not what you catch but what you keep, even if it's given to someone else.
.        You better stay in the fort then!!  It's how many u catch!!

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:07 AM »
Guess up to co, had situation where had fish in one bucket co counted asked I if all mine buddy piped up heel no and no big deal
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:02 AM »
As far as I am concerned this is BS rule that looks negatively on sportsman and promotes not sharing and helping others out.  Some days, especially on the open water, say I was te only one to catch my limit of lake trout and my buddy can't buy a bite, I'm going to share those fish and regardless and we will both hopefully end up with a limit.  I can't believe we actually have COs enforcing that crap.  Thankfully I've only ever had very positive accounts with them in NW lower Michigan, if i had them ever give me a hard time about that, I don't think I would take It too well. We have way too many more serious violations occurring on a regular basic to have them spending their time girlything footing around and harassing average joes helping each other out.

I don't think a CO would care "how well you took it."  You'd be paying a fine for over-limit and restitution fees all the same. LOL!

Love it when guys try the tough-guy persona with COs. It makes their day.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:05 AM »
I don't think a CO would care "how well you took it."  You'd be paying a fine for over-limit and restitution fees all the same. LOL!

Love it when guys try the tough-guy persona with COs. It makes their day.
                The more you act like a di**, the better they like it, its their job to enforce, otherwise they wouldn't have a job!!

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:52 AM »
I've seen alot of people catch fish for their less skilled fishing companions, so they can limit out too. Do you shoot extra deer for your good friends too, whats the difference. If you like getting fines and tickets, then have at it, but there ain't no we and there ain't no us.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Comparing deer that have 1-3 fawns a year to a fish that can produce thousands of off spring a season is just stupid.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:08 AM »
You're stupid, way to take things out of context. Do you have anything to add? There was no comparison made, was talking about tickets and fines. So maybe I should have said rabbits, so the internet police didnt have to chime in.

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I just hope we can get on some comfortable ice again. Then we won't have to argue. As for the law it is pretty straight forward.
  Rp

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:09 AM »
A few years ago, I saw a situation played out on a very popular bluegill destination in West MI.  There was a group of 3 guys fishing throwing their fish in a pile.  CO, who was very friendly, asked them how many fish they have.  Basically the guys couldn't answer him and tried to assure him that they did not have their limit.  He mentioned to them it was their responsibility to know how many fish they have in possession and to keep the fish by each person in order not to mix up the possession.  The guys were arguing with him saying its no different than having the fish in a livewell where they are all mix together and the CO wouldn't change his position so the guy finally said " go ahead and count them" in which then the officer told them to reel up their lines and stop fishing.  Luckily for them they only had 72 fish on the ice meaning no one had reached their limit and could still fish and said that he could of written one of the guys up (probably the guy giving him the most grief) if there was 73 for continuing fishing while having a limit. 

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:17 AM »
I've seen alot of people catch fish for their less skilled fishing companions, so they can limit out too. Do you shoot extra deer for your good friends too, whats the difference. If you like getting fines and tickets, then have at it, but there ain't no we and there ain't no us.
Its not poaching if your only helping a friend-yes it IS poaching but people can always find a way to justify what they do.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:20 AM »
A few years ago, I saw a situation played out on a very popular bluegill destination in West MI.  There was a group of 3 guys fishing throwing their fish in a pile.  CO, who was very friendly, asked them how many fish they have.  Basically the guys couldn't answer him and tried to assure him that they did not have their limit.  He mentioned to them it was their responsibility to know how many fish they have in possession and to keep the fish by each person in order not to mix up the possession.  The guys were arguing with him saying its no different than having the fish in a livewell where they are all mix together and the CO wouldn't change his position so the guy finally said " go ahead and count them" in which then the officer told them to reel up their lines and stop fishing.  Luckily for them they only had 72 fish on the ice meaning no one had reached their limit and could still fish and said that he could of written one of the guys up (probably the guy giving him the most grief) if there was 73 for continuing fishing while having a limit.
                     If they would have been over, and nobody claimed the extra fish, they will all get a ticket for over limit I'll bet!!

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Wow!! I am sorry I asked. I did not mean for this to turn ugly, I was just curious.  I live near the DNR office and will get an answer from them and report back.  I really only ask because when we have a good day it makes a pretty cool picture to see a nice bunch of fish even if its not limits.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Wow!! I am sorry I asked. I did not mean for this to turn ugly, I was just curious.  I live near the DNR office and will get an answer from them and report back.  I really only ask because when we have a good day it makes a pretty cool picture to see a nice bunch of fish even if its not limits.
            You can take pictures when you get home, when on the lake, you can "have" 25 that you caught

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I think its good that you asked.  It brings some awareness and it also related to a thread that was posted earlier this season about fishing while having your limit.  I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a picture of your "limits" in a pile provided you are done fishing and don't have a line in the water for that targeted species.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I fully support the COs and the rules and regulations but this is a weak way to enforce the limit regulations..... ...I can guarantee you that Charter captains of all species do not mark their fish for their clients as they go into the livewell.....  If a CO ran up to a Charter Captain and asked him who had caught what fish the Charter captain would be SOL,,,,Especially a perch charter...

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Unless the CO has been watching you all day long I'd tell him to prove it.  As long as we're not over the limit as a group I'm still going to catch fish if my buddies want me to keep some for them.  There are times when fish are only biting one specific color and one person out-fishes the others 5:1.  If he can prove I caught 26 gills and my buddy only caught 24 of the 50, fine give me a ticket you deserve to for that kind of persistence.

If you're bringing out your kids and wife who don't even like to fish for very long just so you can catch a multi person limit, that's a little more shady though.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Unless the CO has been watching you all day long I'd tell him to prove it.  As long as we're not over the limit as a group I'm still going to catch fish if my buddies want me to keep some for them.  There are times when fish are only biting one specific color and one person out-fishes the others 5:1.  If he can prove I caught 26 gills and my buddy only caught 24 of the 50, fine give me a ticket you deserve to for that kind of persistence.

If you're bringing out your kids and wife who don't even like to fish for very long just so you can catch a multi person limit, that's a little more shady though.
   I will tell you that if its your word against his, you WILL lose that, will cost you more to fight than the fine!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:43 AM »
its pretty simple all my buds catch their own fish.we each take home what we caught personally.limit or not.id rather throw a fish back for the future than throw it in a buddies pile that cant fish.hahaa

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:44 AM »
I fully support the COs and the rules and regulations but this is a weak way to enforce the limit regulations..... ...I can guarantee you that Charter captains of all species do not mark their fish for their clients as they go into the live well.....  If a CO ran up to a Charter Captain and asked him who had caught what fish the Charter captain would be SOL,,,,Especially a perch charter...

I fish for perch with two other guys in my boat frequently.  Been checked a couple times and never once has a CO asked how many fish each guy had in the live well.  I have offered that we need "X" amount more to make a limit.  Happened with walleye once on Drummond.  My friend and I had nine in the live well and were both still fishing.  The CO that boarded us just said good job and asked what we were using.  And the response above is perfect...this is the way the big lake guys roll....whether they are charters or just regular John Does.  That said, yes if you are obviously filling somebody else's limit and the CO is watching you do it...or if you tell the CO that you kept 35 gills and your buddy kept 15...you are asking for a ticket.  Take your lumps and learn a lesson.  I always keep my fish separate on the ice, its so easy.  The boat is another story.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.