Author Topic: Is there a hybrid fish finder for both Ice Fishing and Boat Fishing?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Folks,

Is there a hybrid fish finder for both Ice Fishing in winter and mounted on a boat in summer?

Thank you

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Garmin striker does that, as do lots of others.

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
most of the hummingbird helix series you can get a ice kit for, or you can order a All season bundle that has everything you need. however if you make your own kit you can get a Mega SI unit and ice kit for about 150 more.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yep as stated, lots of the newer screen ones have ice options. Garmin and Humminbird most common

Very valuable, especially if you make your own maps of lakes, and have all your open water waypoints and info available for ice fishing

Offline bouncin_toads

• IceShanty Rookie
Deeper fish finder can be used ice fishing, in a boat or kayak, or from the bank as well. Their Chirp+ Pro is the newest model I believe.

Offline Butkus51

• IceShanty Rookie
I use a Lowrance Elite 3x that does both.

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
I use a Lowrance Elite Ti2 and its the only one that lets you use 2 different cone angles on the same screen. The HIGH CHIRP is 8deg (i believe) and the 83kHz is 140deg (i believe).
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
I'm admittedly a garmin guy. I highly recommend the garmin echomap series. One of the great things about them is not only can you buy ice packs or boat transducer Garmin uses a cradle for the head unit. You can unclip the head unit from the cradle and instantly transfer them from boat to ATV/UTV/snowmobile etc to ice pack. I have mine set up so I have my ice fishing unit that I have in my storage box on my UTV and a cradle mounted on the dash. I snap out the head unit and transfer it back and forth as needed. It's the slickest system.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have been using a Lowrance X 67C for 15 years, still works great.  I just got a Helix 7 Mega DI that I am going to mount the ice kit to, as soon as as one becomes available.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
My lowrance hook 7 will do both and has an ice fishing mode.  I did have to buy a ice transducer.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use a Lowrance Elite Ti2 and its the only one that lets you use 2 different cone angles on the same screen. The HIGH CHIRP is 8deg (i believe) and the 83kHz is 140deg (i believe).
I'm pretty sure Garmin does this aswell

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
I'm admittedly a garmin guy. I highly recommend the garmin echomap series. One of the great things about them is not only can you buy ice packs or boat transducer Garmin uses a cradle for the head unit. You can unclip the head unit from the cradle and instantly transfer them from boat to ATV/UTV/snowmobile etc to ice pack. I have mine set up so I have my ice fishing unit that I have in my storage box on my UTV and a cradle mounted on the dash. I snap out the head unit and transfer it back and forth as needed. It's the slickest system.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
I run my LX7 on my boat. Those units are pushed more at an ice fishing customer but after running it on my boat for the past five years I am strongly in the camp that it is a better open water unit than it is an ice unit and I think it’s great on the ice.

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a portable Hummingbird from the 80’s. Hate buying new batteries every season. Contrast is zero in the sun. Functions OK, but I know most of the waters I fish and don’t need it.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've got almost 30 years of Lowrance sonars on the ice. Not owning a boat, I went from portable B&W units that had to jump from a buddy's pond boat to the ice, and progressed to GPS, to color, and then more.

Point being, if you've got an open water unit on your boat already, it's probably already programmed to be used on ice. A cookie says every clunky open water unit can be used on hardwater. My first unit, the Fishin' Buddy II, featured an early side scanning sonar. Extending that arm to the full 4 foot length was perfect for finding fish under the ice. Punch a hole, spin around 360 degrees. Time to move over about 20 yards thataway and drill again.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you everyone

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin UHD93 SV/Livescope

On my kayak..

Switched to ice fishing duty

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor