The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Snowdog  (Read 6869 times)

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowdog
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2021, 07:32 PM »
I believe I was the first Vermonter to get a Snowdog. This will be my fifth season with it and I've logged a bunch of miles.

When you need reverse, you NEED reverse.  Stick it in a snow bank in thigh deep snow and you're not wrestling it back on the trail.

Why would you stick it in a snowbank?  Because they are not maneuverable.  They like wide, sweeping turns.  Sometimes you run out of room and bury it.

That said, I've only buried it after exiting the lake or in the backcountry.  It behaves perfectly on the flat -- as long as there's no slush.

I no longer operate it while sitting.  I stand in my sled and guests use the seat in the second sled.  They are much easier to steer while standing.

Overall, I love the thing.  I don't even think about snow machines or tracked SxSs.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2022, 10:00 PM »
Appreciate that feedback.

Offline Tom1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:33 AM »
I really like the idea, I think they are very practical.  For the price, I’d rather just have a snowmobile.  You can get a small/older snowmobile for less money.  A snowmobile will be much faster, go through deeper snow, etc.  you can get a touring sled and ride two people comfortably and if you want you can ride the snowmobile for fun on the trails as well. 

Cool idea, but for the money I didn’t get one.  If I found one cheap; I’d buy it.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:25 AM »
I really like the idea, I think they are very practical.  For the price, I’d rather just have a snowmobile.  You can get a small/older snowmobile for less money.  A snowmobile will be much faster, go through deeper snow, etc.  you can get a touring sled and ride two people comfortably and if you want you can ride the snowmobile for fun on the trails as well. 

Cool idea, but for the money I didn’t get one.  If I found one cheap; I’d buy it.

Yeah but with the cost of registration and insurance every year, a snowmobile isn’t that appealing.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:34 AM »
Other things to consider:

-- They fit in a short box truck bed under a cap (no road grime or snow);
-- They fit in a minivan (same advantage as above);
-- They are quite reliable; and
-- They are very easy to maintain.

Offline wally

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If I'm not killing it I'm catching it!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:45 PM »
Easy to transport and less expensive then a 4 wheeler or snowmobile.  I am able to fit mine in the back of a Honda CRV.  you also dont have to register it because it is not a motor vehicle and has no VIN number.  Not true in NH you must register as a snowmobile.... Other states IDK

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:26 PM »
I had no idea you needed your name on a pop up. That makes no sense.

Offline Tacoma Marty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:04 AM »
Before seeing this thread I hadn't heard of a Snowdog but after doing some research and reading a bunch of reviews it may go on the wish list for next season!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:21 AM »
They’re getting more and more popular, I saw one on lake fairlee.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Obi96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:48 PM »
I had no idea you needed your name on a pop up. That makes no sense.

It does when it's blown halfway across Willoughby.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:36 AM »
I have the standard snowdog without reverse. I’ve never encountered a reason to need the reverse. When the machine is running, you can pull it backwards relatively easy.
As for the otter, I have the XT X-Over Lodge. It’s a 2-3 person flip over.

LOL I remember that trip Phil!

Snow dogs a damn workhorse.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.