Author Topic: Wind Took My Shanty & Me on a ride today!  (Read 6853 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Wind Took My Shanty & Me on a ride today!
« on: Dec 21, 2002, 03:17 PM »
What a rough day for me today ice fishing! >:( First I get out to my spot on the lake, the winds were blowing quite good (gusts up to 30 MPH) We had rain the other night, and all the snow pack melted, making the surface of the lake/ice very smooth & slippery! Definate Ice cleata kind of day, so I strapped them on.I drill my hole, close the cover on my Fish Trap. Here comes the winds trying to lift open my Trap, so I got up to reposition my trap, so that the wind is blowing behind me, well the wind got a hold of my Fish Trap/Shanty, and took both me & my shanty for a ride! ( I was still in my shanty!I could not stop or bite into the ice with my cleats, & the wind really accelerated us both! Got hurled a good distance, & my bucket got tossed ashore. I drag my shanty & myself to shore, only to discover my left hand is bleeding good, & theres blood running down my hand! My hand got scrapped up on the ice from being dragged! So I decide to run back home to clean up my wound, & bandage it up. Being the diehard I am, I went back out! I wasnt giving up that easy,soooo. I go back to my spot this time with the top left open on the Fish Trap,so I dont go parasailing, & I hook a jumbo yellow perch! As I set the hook, my ice rod breaks right at where it joins the cork handle assembly!! Grrrr, I packed up gear & called it day, I had enough for the day, lol. Has anyone else been through an experience like this? My thought was that a shanty/shelter keeps you out of the wind, not taken for speed rides, lol ! Keep safe all, hope you all had a better day than I.

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
Re: Wind Took My Shanty & Me on a ride today!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2002, 03:30 PM »
wow what a day fishdeep hate to hear that but yes i been iceskating in the shanty (notfun) but  never had a pole break on me.....sorry to hear that......goodluck next time...n' merry x-mas

Wables

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2002, 03:58 PM »
Well, it was still probably better than a good day at work, eh?  At least you are all right.  I worry about being blown into open water where I fish.  I have never been blown in my portable, but I have had it go while I was running to a tipup.  (Please don't take that the wrong way ;) ) I now use an anchor whenever the wind is over 10 MPH.  Hope your next outing is more pleasant!

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 04:33 PM »
FishDeep...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune today.  I may have a solution so that never happens again.  I have an old frabill two man that I have taken for a ride on more than one occassion.  When my girlfriend started fishing with me a couple years ago she got to go for a ride too.  Well that pretty much scarred the #$%^ out of her.  Long story short.... I figured out a way to anchor my portable(cheap.)  I had seen adds for ICE ANCHORS($30)  I took things into my own hands and made some out of stuff from around the house.  You may need to go to the hardware store for the supplies but they don't cost much.  

I started by drilling two 1/4in holes in diagonal corners up near the top of the base.  Then I took 1/4in nylon anchor rope and pushed it through the holes, tying a couple of knots in the rope(or you could tie washers to the rope) from the inside of the shanty.  I cut the rope off about three feet from the shanty.  To the ends of the rope I attached 6in galvanized spikes(my g/f calls them railroad nails :P)  I face the shanty diagonally into the wind and pound the spikes into the ice to hold my position.  My friend used parchute cord and did something similar; he said it was easier to tie to the spikes.

My .02!

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

bigfish0414

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2002, 06:11 PM »
http://URLwell i guess there was plenty of ice or you would have ended up in the water. let me know where you were fishing and the ice thickness, i am planning on a trip after christmas :'(

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2002, 03:25 AM »
Ya, It happened to me last Saturday. I had just purchased a used fish trap deluxe and decided to head out. Walked about 3/4 mile out and set my trap up. I was catching some nice perch. All of a sudden the wind decides to pick up and gust and weeeee. I didn't go very far but I bet if anybody was watching I did the nicest 360. What a mess I had, everything was tangled. I will be making some of those spikes for my trap. Stay Safe and have fun. This is what its all about. Merry Christmas everyone.

Jon

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2002, 05:51 AM »
  Sounds like a hard way to troll on the hardwater HAHA!!!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2002, 03:39 PM »
This happens a lot. I bought some screw tie downs made for ice shantys at a sporting goods store, but they are almost impossible to screw in the ice. I then took a cordless drill with a 3/8 bit and pre drilled the holes, this works fine, but its just more gear to take with you. Now I drill an extra ice hole up wind (with the auger), and have a 2X2 with a nylon rope, stick the 2x2 down the hole like a toggle, and tie the shany to it by the corners or pull rope. This isnt as good as anchoring  a couple corners because of wind shifts but a little quicker and easier if your on the move much.

bussman

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2002, 01:41 AM »
I spread my ice shavings around where I want my shanty to sit and then once I have it in place I put more up against the downwind side. I wait to open my shanty until the shavings freeze up some and I haven't had any problems with my shanty becoming a sled since i started doing this.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2002, 04:58 AM »
A few years ago, i stepped out of my Fish Trap to take a leak and fight'n with 2 inches of hose and 4 inches of clothes my shack took off. Thank God i had the ATV as it ended on shore about a mile away! I keep the hitch attached now.....big dummy ::)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2002, 06:21 AM »
Seen my buddy stand up from his lawn chair in 80-100km/hr winds and that chair took offf like a bat out of h@ll. Funniest thing I ever seen, watching him chase the lawn chair forever. ;D ;D ;D

bigfish0414

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2002, 06:28 PM »
that happened to a friend of mine watched him chase his chair down the lake. everytime he went to grab hold, another gust of wind grabbed it and sent it another 30 yards or so. this repeated itself till finally he came back without the chair. Laughed so hard i cried. This happened on Deep Creek LakeMD 2 years ago. The wind is always blowing  

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2002, 10:15 AM »
i must have been there the same day, lost a bucket with rod holders {red}  green glade dead end road, watched another icefisherman lose a tip up while trying to catch the tip up his whole sled w/gear takes off, luckily he was in position to catch the sled.  

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2002, 10:55 AM »
Almost lost the portable last Sunday with my 7 year old in it.  I was drilling the holes and he was in it as weight to keep it from moving.  I guess he doesn't weigh enough.  The thing took off just as I drilled the 1st hole.  Lucky for me the tow rope was close by so I jumped for it and the wind drug me, the portable and my son 30 yards before it piled into a permanent shanty.  I collapsed the house and we went home.  Enough fun for the day...

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2002, 12:10 PM »
On Lake Superior the most popular style shelter is the TeePee type with ice hooks on the bottom of the 4 posts.  Chisel small holes to set the hooks in and the tent won't move even in a strong wind.  On hard,snowless ice they can't be beat.

snazi

« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2003, 10:08 PM »
I take those foot long nails about 1/4 inch thick from the lumber yard and a hammer to drive them in.  They only cost 49 cents and come out easy if you smack them on the sides a couple times.  Angle the head towards the wind and set the back of the shanty up square with the wind before you open it up.  

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2003, 06:30 AM »
mnfishman,
  sounds like you need to feed that boy some burgers..LOL

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
Re:Wind Took My Shanty & Me on a ride today!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2003, 11:54 AM »
Hi Gang!
     I was given a suprise  birthday gift.  MY wife bought me a clam scout.  It is nice but in the wind  the front lower rail bounces up and down the sled slides in grass with any wind over 15 mph and the darn thing is really drafty.  Does any one have a cure for these things.  I didnt screw the canvas on to the sled yet so I can still make adjustments if thats all the lower rail needs.
    Da-Roc

missfishylicious

« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2003, 02:01 PM »
if you pile snow around the bottom it cuts the draft.provided you have snow of course ;D

ps aren't wives great ;D

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2003, 06:06 PM »
Cant Believe that a post I made last year came back up ;D
The day before that happened, we had a rain storn then it froze on op top of the ice, so any snow that was there turned smooth as a babies ***. It was like a skating rink, the slickest ice if ran into, then high winds made it worse. This year, I picked up a set of ice locks from Strikemaster. The connect on & off fairly quick, hopefully will do the trick, better yet hopefully we dont get that super slick ice again!

mngonefishing

« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2003, 06:44 AM »
Da_Roc,
what is your front lower rail made out of. if it is 3/4 inch conduit. take 2 feet of rebar 1/2 inch and slide it inside the conduit. good luck.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:57 AM »
Hi Gang!
   I called Clam corporation yesturday.  They now make poles you can put between the hoops so thy wont collapse.  They cost $15 each and all are long.  You have to adapt / cut them to your trap hoop size.  About the weight using rebar  thats a really good idea I will use it and try it in the winds today.  Now about locking down the sled so it doesnt move.  Thats going to be a trick. I want to stay mobil and want to lock down fast.  The lakes I fish are very windy /gusty I need a One minute lock down system.  I move every 15 to 20 minutes per sets of holes.  So I need to stay very mobil.
  Any tips you have keep them comming.  I think drilling 4 auger holes and using locks like that takes to much time.  But thanks for the idea Fishdeepcreek.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2003, 03:31 PM »
Da_Roc ,         on the backside of my shack, if i face the backside into the wind the material wants to blow in thereby pulling the front up, took 2 wooden dowels and 2 worm gear clamps and made an ajustable brace for the back, pounded a nail w/head cut off, drilled a small hole in rear of tub to hold the bottom and a pc of pvc nailed into other end of dowels to clips onto the upper bar. You can do the same for the front, instead of buying the poles from Clam, just buy a 10' pc of conduit and make it all yourself for less.  As far as a wind anchor, i'm going to make my own, eyebolt into rear of sled and a pc of conduit w/rope attached in middle and a longer one thru the tubing to drop thru and retrieve from the ice, just drill an extra hole or 2 in ice behind the sled and drop said anchor thru the hole and tie rope to eyebolt

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2003, 05:53 PM »
Chased a bag of donuts across the ice for better than 500 yds. Buddy was laughing so hard when I got back he could not get up off the ice. That same day we had to tie our boxes around our legs to keep them form blowing away as we were drilling our holes.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2003, 08:27 AM »
Hi Gang!
   Turkeyhunter10guage I think your idea is great and am going to try the doll rod thing.  Locking down the sled this winter is going to be a problem I see. I like your suggestion about putting two eye bolts in the rear of the sled now i need a quick anchor system.  A buddie of mine told me to use a concrete nailer with metal tabs that are round and half is bent up wards with a hole in it. He said that would be really quick and efficient then bungie the tabs to the sled??   Does this sound realistic to you guys???
    Da-Roc

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2003, 09:22 AM »
This past winter my portable pulled me across the ice almost into open water at Lake Erie. I only stopped when I hit the pressure ridge at the edge...too close! The next trip into the bait shop and I found a set of anchors that are threaded like big screws but with a T-handle. They go right through the floor into the ice and went in easily. I believe that they were packaged by Shappell and they cost about seven dollars a set. I can photograph them if anyone would like to make their own. I'll bet the shop still has a couple of sets lying around as well.
Rick T.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2003, 11:57 AM »
Hi Gang!
   I used A piece of 3/4 inch by 30" long stainless steel bar on the front of my hoop skirt it keeps the hoop on the floor really well.  Thanks MNGONEFISHING
That was a great idea!!!
  Da-Roc

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2003, 10:42 PM »
pack enough candy,pop,or other various snack items in that shelter and you shouldn't have a problem with the wind anymore(until later in the day after snacking) ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.