Author Topic: suggestions for walleye in heavy weed cover  (Read 2889 times)

grumpymoe

suggestions for walleye in heavy weed cover
« on: Nov 26, 2003, 04:03 PM »
i have set up the shanty for the season on a new lake for me--what it has is unusually heavy weed growth-some if 3-4 ft tall-there is a good population of large walleye, northerns and perch in moderately clear water-my question is this-i prefer lindy rigs during summer months but with very light bites i was also thinking of using pickerel rigs to keep the live bait suspended just above the weeds-anyone fishing these conditions and what rigs seem to work best????? :-\ ??? ???

Jam_Jam

Re:suggestions for walleye in heavy weed cover
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2003, 05:21 PM »
How bout a slip bobber set up...it'd help ya detect the light bite too.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:44 PM »
No Jam Jam, you need a Marmish...LOL  ::)

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2003, 02:26 PM »
hey trevor--what the heck is a marmish--i know what natural bait is ::) ::) ::)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2003, 02:48 PM »
Grumpymoe, It's a rod, sort of a new concept in ultralight tackle.  There's a lot of hype about it up here in Alberta.  I was just teasing Jam Jam as he was getting a little heat from the local marmish supporters on a local fishing message board, because his opinion on the thing didn't coincide with their's.  It would be like starting a post on this site that read "Vexilar Sucks!!!" I personally think they(marmish rods) look like crap and are likely a waste of money.  I'll stick to my Genz rod for perch...Not that I wouldn't be willing to try one, just would not  pay the $30...

Here is a link, you can look for yourself:

www.marmish.ca

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2003, 03:05 PM »
i'll learn-thanks trevor--i see what you mean--looks like something you would use to snare with or you could put it over your wrist while popping wobblies---seriously, i use super lite gear year round but my main concern with the weed cover is having live minnows "in" the cover-its great if the walleye are down in and foraging very actively--grumpy

Jam_Jam

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2003, 03:38 PM »
I don't think its any different than the pocket fisherman ;D  I'm thinking it may be good to pick one up as a collectors item though!  I believe those pocket fishermen are worth something these days.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2003, 03:51 PM »
Yeah, it seems a lot of vintage tackle is becoming fairly valuable these days...

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2003, 03:56 PM »
i wonder if anyone is still using one???you guys might be dating yourselves-i thought that went out 30 years ago :D

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2003, 10:18 AM »
Wow that is one crappy looking rod! lol  The jigs look good!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

kciH

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2003, 02:39 PM »
Those prices are in Canadian Pesos.  It doesn't look like it's worth US$23 either.

mngonefishing

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2003, 05:46 PM »
different strokes for different fokes. have any of you tried these rods. not saying that i have,but if you look at some of the reviews that dave gentz got early on with his portable shanties and you will see what i mean. at first a lot of people said that they wouldn't work, and that no one would use them. I bet those people are kicking them selves now.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2003, 07:10 PM »
I agree 100%.  Thing is, it's just not my forte.  I'm willing to bet it's fun catching fish on the little thing.  Just would never spend what they're asking.  The humour is in the attitudes of the locals up here.  They act like it's the only ultralight rod in existance.  They seem to think they'll outfish everyone without a Marmish, like it's God's gift to ice fishing.  The Marmish sales reps have been spamming the local message board with pics of large catches of perch, and huge pike, the guys on there are eating it up, hook line and sinker...

gr8buzz

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2003, 09:36 PM »
 Fish the walleye suspended above weedbeds.Theyll look up!Or fish along weedbed preferably rock bottom along weedbed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.