Author Topic: Worms for ice  (Read 4836 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Worms for ice
« on: Nov 05, 2003, 07:50 PM »
Any one ever try using Nightcrawlers or leeches under the ice? Have much success? Im just curious.

-Evan

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:Worms for ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2003, 07:57 PM »
We usally quit using leeches for walleye fishing when the water gets cold during open water season, they tend to curl up on the hook, and can be a pain in the sitter.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2003, 08:39 PM »
FDC, we went out to a tough lake last year and just as we were cutting holes i looked down and saw a large nightcraller on the ice. I said WOW a worm, i know what i'm using. Yea they all laughed at me. But i had the last laugh. I was catching, they were just sitting. I got alot of dirty and weird looks till i ran out of pieces of worm to put on my jig.
Of coarse i allready knew this would work cause a old timer tackle shop owner sold me some worms and said he guarantee that they would catch crappies on a certain lake. Guess what....... it worked!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2003, 06:45 AM »
The only thing I've caught using worms through the ice are stinkin' ba$$. I'd rather catch a carp or sheepshead than a ba$$.
Pete Lewis

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2003, 09:00 AM »
Different strokes for different folks. Bass are the primary fish we go after,along with pike and musky. :'(

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2003, 11:01 AM »
BJ, pike and especially muskie, are different. They present a challenge, bass on the other hand are generally too easy to catch. I honestly can say I don't enjoy going out and catching 30-40 smallmouths a day as much as I enjoy going out and catching a couple of walleye.
Pete Lewis

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2003, 11:44 AM »
I just love to be on the ice fishing. Any fish that gets my flag waving is ok with me. Chasing flags makes for a great day. I have never fished for walleye ,but have heard great things about the fish from people on this site. Sounds like I will have to give it a try! :'(

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2003, 11:41 PM »
Last year at first ice I tried crawlers.  I was on my way out and stopped at the only place to buy bait within 20 miles.  I got there and they didn't have waxies so I had to settle for crawlers.  If I had longer to fish I would have went elsewhere to get waxies, but I was just going to fish for an hour or two (on my way to a family gathering).  This was thanksgiving day last year and the ice was pretty sketchy.  Due to this I didn't quite go out as far as I usually do.  Not sure if it was location or the bait but I didn't get a nibble in a hour.  The worm seemed pretty dead versus a waxie.  I may try it again but if I do I will bring other baits with me in case it doesn't work.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

kjay

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2003, 11:54 PM »
Ok boys... Let me get this striaght you guys fish musky and bass through the ice? I have caught bass be for by an incidental catch... but in ontario Bass and Musky are closed for the season at the end of November.

Kjay

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2003, 11:59 PM »
kjay- here in Wisconsin sport fish (bass, pike, walleye, etc) season goes until March 1 on most lakes.  One of the lakes I fish is open year round.  After March 1 it is mainly panfish only for me.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

kjay

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2003, 08:35 AM »
Bass in ontario are closed from the end of november to last sat in june. Musky are closed same time till first sat in june. We have stricter seasons  i guess. But Pikeral, and pike are open through the ice season. Same for lakers, whities, and panfish.

Kjay

TIGGER

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:57 PM »
In manitoba, crawlers through the ice work excellent for both trout and walleye. We use them early ice more than later in the season, hard to keep them alive at -35'

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:23 PM »
Up here in Alberta, at -20C, we keep the crawlers in our parka pockets, with the next one to go on the hook in our mouth, just to have a lively presentation!!!  We do the same with maggots!! ;D ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:49 PM »
Now I know you are kidding about the maggots. Because maggots taste terrible. However, waxworms have a very sweet flavor. So if you have to put bait in your mouth, buy waxies. Minnows taste awful also. I have not as yet put a leech in my mouth. Even I have some standards.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:55 PM »
KJAY,
Take another look at your regs...bass is open in the finger lakes (except Skaneateles, Cayuga and Otisco) throughout the ice fishing season. It is as you say closed on Ontario.

RGFIXIT
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2003, 09:52 PM »
Has anyone used red wigglers? I put some in some 5 gal buckets a few years ago and every once in a while I add water and some leaves/or kitchen veggies scraps and I have bazillions of them,..never have goitten around to trying them,..In summer I cull some out and put in on my compost pile and I swear it makes it go down and turn into soil much faster than it normally would. They are very active little worms!!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2003, 10:43 PM »
Man thats nasty, never could muster the courage to put maggots in my mouth.  I keep em in a pocket close to my skin if I'm moving around.  If I'm in the shack they're on the floor near the heater.  Nasty ugh

Offline adirondackmtbob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • UP THEY GO !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2003, 07:26 AM »

Old Milwaukee and Maggots are pretty good.The only thing i hate is when they caught in my chew.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2003, 10:19 AM »
I've used redworms late ice and did very well. I guess they were tired of seeing spikes,mousies and waxworms.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

kjay

« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2003, 11:12 AM »
Yes that is true, but in the rest of ontario it is closed. Ontario is a very big place remember and that area of the province is very very small. No fishing down that way except on the grand river. Sorry my statement wasnt entirely true but over all the rest of ontario is closed for Bass Fishing.

keep em tight,
Kjay

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2003, 06:10 PM »
Sorry KJAY I didn't realize you were talking about Ontario Canada....I'm sure you know the regs up there.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.