Author Topic: ICE FISHING SHOW  (Read 3691 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
ICE FISHING SHOW
« on: Feb 08, 2005, 10:36 PM »
I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the Long Island, NY area we get at least three or four Fishing and Hunting Shows per year.  I have never seen any of the vendors show anything to do with Ice Fishing.

ARE THERE ANY SHOWS, ANYWHERE, THAT SPECIALIZE IN ICE FISHING ????

If there are NOT, I might be interested in promoting one which would feature manufacturers of Ice Fishing Equipment, National & Local Ice Fishing experts (giving seminars), Lodges and Guide Services from all over the country showing what they have to offer, New Product demonstrations, etc., etc.

Let's hear what you all have to say about this???  Would you be willing to travel to such a show???

If there"s enough interest, I would shoot for next year.

hopatcongsfinest

Re: ICE FISHING SHOW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:08 PM »
that's actually a very good idea.  i've never heard of an ice fishing show before, and personally i wait all year just for the ice to form.  so yea, i'll support you on this topic.  as long as the show's somewhere within the tri-state area i'd be sure to show up.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:09 PM »
Yes there is.  In Minnesota each fall we have an ice fishing show.  I have never been to it myself since it is at the same time as muzzle loader deer hunting.

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2005, 05:01 AM »
Ive been at this awhile and to my knowledge there is no such show east of the mississippi river.I think its an awesome idea,Getting the companys from minn,mich, etc might be tough. We dont have the ice season that they do, so they might figure it isnt worth it to them.Either way I would jump on the oppurtunity to attend such a show.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2005, 05:37 AM »
There was one in Toronto in December, same weekend the IceTeam was at Bass Pro in Auburn.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:05 AM »
Look on the IT site. They have shows and demonstrations every year.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:15 PM »
I think there used to be one in Madison, WI.

I never miss the St. Paul, MN show. First weekend in December each year. Not as big as the other shows but a good show nontheless.

A Cabela's might be a good venue to start with. Might get some vendors out there.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:22 PM »
we should have the new bass pro in buffalo support an annual ice show when there up and going

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I agree, this is a great idea but here in the so called northeast (PA) our season doesn't last long enough for a big calling that would attract the big vendor's but if there is one i'll be there.
      Jim

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:33 PM »
true but we could get the small vendors who push the big vendors product and if the turnout is good then more and bigger will come :tipup:
think of all the hunting shows all year round and hunting season is not as long as ice fishing and it will also bring attention to our sport and get more and younger anglers interested :tipup:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:52 PM »
Great Idea and I would love to see it somewhere up by either Lake George or in the Finger Lakes region in early Jan.
If you got the bigs to attend like HT, Strike Master, Frabil, Clam, Shappell, Heritage Laker and many others who would do show specials it could be a big deal and worth driving a few hours to. Early Jan. because most times the ice is not yet ready so it would be a pre season ordeal that would not take time from fishing.
Keep this going and lets see what can happen.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Ive been at this awhile and to my knowledge there is no such show east of the mississippi river.I

Actually the one in St Paul MN is 2 blocks east of the Mississippi River.   ::)

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:38 PM »
some place alittle more acesible to ny -nj  - pa - ct would be a better choice i cant find time to fish lake george never mind go to a show its 4 hours for me

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:26 PM »
ok we will move it down there for you and screw everyone in western new york ohio western pa and canada :tipup:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:08 PM »
Arch, Thought I had a rather novel idea! Put the show somewhere near where most of the action and fisherman are.
I believe the idea is to make it accessible to all but put it where the most per-capita ice fisherman live and fish.
We could have it at the Jacob Javits center in NYC but I doubt many true die hard ice men would go.
Syracuse, Oneida, Auburn or Utica would be central to most and this is only a suggestion. Have it in Buffalo and I doubt you get many from the George area and not me either. 7 Hours drive is out of the question. 4 Hours is stretching it but for the right show and attendees, I am in.
Oddly, I have all the gear I will ever need and unless there is a new break thru then I would be going simply to hang with others who love the sport.
My supply of DuPont spinners is getting low so if they had a deal on them, there are plenty of days I could use em.

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:13 PM »
...put it where the most per-capita ice fisherman live and fish.

Where did you get that information?   ???
I'm going to Auburn for a fishing seminar in March, why can't you drive to Buffalo?

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:16 PM »
i was agreeing with the finger lake area idea i was just using the new bass pro as an example as to who to have sponsor the event to get off the ground but i agree with the idea of it being an anual event in central ny its definitly the center of ice fishing for ny but i was also thinking of those in cleveland pittsburgh erie and others but if its just for new yorkers and jersey and north eastern pa pretty much any where is good for me hell i can get to detroit for a show in 5 hours from buffalo :tipup:

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:03 PM »
I was at one in Wausau Wi. a few years ago it wasn't huge but educational Dave Genz was there with a few others from Ice Team.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:15 AM »
Hali-man, I got the idea from looking at the map of NY state to find the center and also where the most of lakes are located.
I also watch alot of the posts in this section of IS and see that a majority of them come from guys who fish the big lakes.
Central NY would be easily accessible to those from the Adirondack area as well as western, southern and eastern NY.
I can of course drive to Buffallo but would not go 7 hours to attend a show. Just my opinion and personal limits.
Ofcourse we would all like such a show to be held in our own back yards but it is impossible to please everyone.
I am pretty confident that the vast majority of people in NY who regularly ice fish are located somewhere in the vacinity of the big lakes. The IS did a survey of "Where are you from" and had a map last year and it clearly showed this fact.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:55 AM »
but is this show just for new yorkers ???

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:23 AM »
Oddly, I have all the gear I will ever need and unless there is a new break thru then I would be going simply to hang with others who love the sport.

That is the way the St. Paul show is. Most everyone has the gear. A lot of browsing. I look for the deals. The seminars are always good. It's neat to see all the shacks in one place. It is not a real big show but it is a great way to get the season rolling.

Usually have reps from Lowrance, Vexilar, Marcum, Strikemaster, Jiffy...

There are usually several sporting goods stores in attendence:
Joe's Bait http://www.joessportinggoods.com/index.html
Reeds http://www.reedssports.com/
Thorne Bros. http://www.thornebros.com/

Always quite a few resorts with booths.

The Ice Team always has a big booth.

This is the website for the St. Paul show:
http://www.arushows.com/
Looks like it is down right now.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:00 AM »
This is just an idea being kicked around to get some input. Ofcourse, being a NYer, I would like to see it somewhere close by so I could attend. Not necessarily in NY but close enough to drive to and not have to do an entire week end.
It could be called the North Eastern Ice Fishing Expo. I believe there are already shows in the North Central Region.
Keep in mind these are all just some ideas of a show the does not yet exist.
All the input here could make it a reality but I think it is a long way off.
One thing for sure, In order to get the big boys to come and play we have to be able to show a real interest and solid attendance possibilities.
A Metropolitan area would best suit their needs so recommendations for a site need to be kicked around.
We all have to admit, there is not much of a manufacturers presence here in the NE.
If you get out to Michigan and Min. you find alot more interest by them and it is simply due to the large numbers of fisherman who make up the Shanty Towns on the big waters.
Just this morning, I drove by five different lakes here in the lower Catskills of NY. I saw a grand total of 1 ice fisherman out on the ice. On the week ends it might be 20 or so in this area. Upstate by the big lakes it could go into the thousands at a few locations. It has less to do with vast populations and everything to do with fish in the open waters. I kind of doubt NYC would bring the masses simply due to the expense and lack of accessible ice fishing waters. I also doubt Maine would be a good destination simply due to the travel distance.
It must be located centrally and I really don't know where that might be. NY is just a suggestion but I think it is a pretty good one.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:12 AM »
If you teamed it p with the snowmobile and ATV crowd you could maybe attract a bigger audience and hence more vendors and reps.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Good idea hard water. Attendance is the key to getting this thing off the ground.
Add to it the downhill ski industry and we could get double the attendence not to mention a few "ski bunnies" :o

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:58 AM »
Good idea hard water. Attendance is the key to getting this thing off the ground.
Add to it the downhill ski industry and we could get double the attendence not to mention a few "ski bunnies" :o

We have the Ice Fishing show and we have the winter sports show.

Our Winter Sports show is a pretty big show. It is dominated by snowmobiles and ski stuff. Not a whole lot of ice fishing stuff.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:59 AM »

We have the Ice Fishing show and we have the winter sports show.

Our Winter Sports show is a pretty big show. It is dominated by snowmobiles and ski stuff. Not a whole lot of ice fishing stuff. Be careful that they do not take it over if it starts out that way.

hali-man

« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I am pretty confident that the vast majority of people in NY who regularly ice fish are located somewhere in the vacinity of the big lakes.

I think you are wrong, man. JMO  8)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:47 AM »
i agree all the lakes here in western ny are packed with fisherman i dont know how many fisherman here and there but i know we have ALOT in this area or they would not be putting the largest bass pro here in buffalo

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Hali-Man, Last year and this a poll was done by Bussman, one of the moderators.
You can search the archives and find it under title "Where are you from".
I am hoping Bussman chimes in here to put it to rest but I think you will find that the majority of ICE SHANTY fisherman are centrally located around the BIG LAKES,
Ie; Finger Lakes, Lake George, Lake Ontario or basically Central NY.
Sure there are alot out in WNY but I really think "Per Capita" meaning the most per Square Mile, will be found in the center of the state followed by WNY and then NNY.
This is totally unscientific but as far as the IS threads are concerned I think it serves the point.
JMO.

hali-man

« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2005, 11:29 AM »
I'm not looking to argue with you.
You should come fish with us westerners sometime.

You'll see.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.