Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 304426 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #90 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:51 AM »
used to heat up canned stuff on the tractor manafold when working  the fall in the fields   warning   dont leave them there tooo long
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:59 AM »
X 2...I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow

X3

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:36 AM »
In regards to ruining the ceramic element (or whatever it is) I have one on my grill that looks similar to what is on the buddy, and it has been getting grease dripped on it for three years?  It is on the "sear" side of the grill and is located directly under the grate.  The drippings hit it and sizzle for a while and then burn off.  Isn't it the same thing?  I still wouldn't grill a burger on it, and personally would not disconnect the safety, but a lot of guys do.  I had to clean the crap out of my grill priior to this install because there was a lot of old hot dog residue/grease on the front.  Grilled cheese in foil worked well the other night at work, "tested it".  You dont get the nice crisp pan fried crust on the bread, but its better than a cold bologna sandwich!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Here's my contraption.1 small roller screen ,4 self tapping screws, weber pans(10 pack), small piece of right angle aluminum,very simple and small.Held 2 soup cans as a weight test.seems to be forward enough to keep handle from melting

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Dec 26, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Some bigger photos for the visually challenged like myself.Fits in the pocket of of my buddy cover,bonus.It took longer to upload the pics than it did to make it. .The screen was $2.40 @ Lowes,Weber pans 10 for $5.00 in the grill section at Lowes, great fit for the screen.(broke a drill bit $1.00 darn!).Cut the excess length off of screws holding angle aluminum in front with grinder.The pan needs to have the upper rim bent up on one side for the best fit.Angle it to get the screw under the grill wire and the straighten and pull forward to snug and adjust angle.Screen can be nudged around a little also to fit pan. Easy on easy off!!Thanks to those who submitted previous ideas !

Offline DeepcreekIcer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Great ideas.  I bought the "paint roller thingy" at Wal-mart.  I did what Gamalot did and uncrimped one side and trimmed the mesh.  I then crimped the edge back on.  I measured so that the tabs would line up with the factory guard and drilled a hole in each tab.  It takes two seconds to pull out the factory guard, insert the "paint roller thingy" and put back on.  I then took a piece of copper tubing and notched both ends to use as a prop.  I just tested it and it works.  Sweet!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #96 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Very nice Deepcreekicer & shermanpup, gives you the option to not be directly over the heat, I don't know if anyone else has noticed(I have gamelot's version,Great Idea!), but I think sometimes, it is too hot right above the heater, have to pay close attention not to burn food, I was thinking of making some sort of rack/tray to hook on somehow to sit in front of heat to heat things up a little slower, back to the lab for a prototype. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline DeepcreekIcer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I was going to also shorten the length on it but now I'm glad I didn't Smitty.  I also wanted to be able to remove it when not in use. 

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:42 AM »
Very nice Deepcreekicer & shermanpup, gives you the option to not be directly over the heat, I don't know if anyone else has noticed(I have gamelot's version,Great Idea!), but I think sometimes, it is too hot right above the heater, have to pay close attention not to burn food, I was thinking of making some sort of rack/tray to hook on somehow to sit in front of heat to heat things up a little slower, back to the lab for a prototype. Smitty
I think I found a quick solution to my problem for cooking food a little slower. It's kind of a convertible.
Fast Heating

Slower Heating

Now my sandwiches won't burn so fast.....I think, going to try it today. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:57 AM »
They all look great, I found thru trial and error that the handle may melt a bit if the pot is to close. I did get a hold of some metal tape( for dryer vent etc..) and wrapped the handle of the Mr Buddy. No more heat issues!.
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Nice one Smitty, Converts from a grill to a toaster!

I guess we have to wonder of Mr. Heater is even looking at this thread and any of our modifications.

With just a few minor changes in the guard cage design they could easily make the heater ready for some food reheating if they had a mind to.

With the one exception of dripping grease and food on the face of the element I can't think of any safety issue that might concern them.

I have seen Buddy heaters with broken ceramic grids from splashing water hitting them or from being dropped. I would also caution everyone who modifies his heater to never, ever leave food on it while out of the shanty. Burning your hut out on the ice would have to go down as one really dumb thing to do.

I did see one guy on the ice with a pretty strange looking pair of boots. He melted the soles when he fell asleep with his feet in front of the heater. I did that years ago at a camp fire and messed up a nice pair of boots.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Nice one Smitty, Converts from a grill to a toaster!

I guess we have to wonder of Mr. Heater is even looking at this thread and any of our modifications.

With just a few minor changes in the guard cage design they could easily make the heater ready for some food reheating if they had a mind to.

With the one exception of dripping grease and food on the face of the element I can't think of any safety issue that might concern them.

I have seen Buddy heaters with broken ceramic grids from splashing water hitting them or from being dropped. I would also caution everyone who modifies his heater to never, ever leave food on it while out of the shanty. Burning your hut out on the ice would have to go down as one really dumb thing to do.

I did see one guy on the ice with a pretty strange looking pair of boots. He melted the soles when he fell asleep with his feet in front of the heater. I did that years ago at a camp fire and messed up a nice pair of boots.
You have to take all the credit fo this, without you, this idea wouldn't have ever become. Smitty

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Thanks Smitty. I just used all my credit and bought myself a cup of coffee. ;D

I am sure someone long before me thought about reclaiming the heat to warm stuff up. Any time I can use one piece of equipment to do two jobs and cut down on the gear I have to drag and the weight then I am all in.

I remember the days when I had to take 2 thermoses, a Coleman lantern, one of those cataylitic heaters, fuel and all my other gear. I needed a pack mule for some of those trips. Now we have LED lights that burn for a long time on a couple batteries and a Buddy heater. All good!

Offline DeepcreekIcer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Nice job Smitty.  Gamalot...thanks for the idea.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:29 AM »
 ;D, You guys are killing me!

Maybe we need a new thread "Cooking with my Buddy"! ;)

Offline DeepcreekIcer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:30 AM »
LOL...now if you would just post some good My Buddy Recipes ;D

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Great idea...Even if it's just for the coffee. Thanks for the tip
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I think I found a quick solution to my problem for cooking food a little slower. It's kind of a convertible.
Fast Heating
(Image removed from quote.)
Slower Heating
(Image removed from quote.)
Now my sandwiches won't burn so fast.....I think, going to try it today. Smitty
On further testing today out on ice, it didn't seem to heat my grilled cheese sandwiches very good, kinda hard to figure out, I hold my hand in front of heater and I can't keep it there, I gave em' 15 minutes or so in front(directly leaning on the heat shield on front of heater) and they were not even warm(wrapped in aluminum foil), I would of thought that would have been plenty of time to heat em up....weird. So I placed em on top to heat them up...burning my toast some. Back to the drawing board I guess. Smitty

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #108 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:24 PM »
drill out the small hole on the pol end of the hose (where it hooks to the 5 - 100lb tank)
(Image removed from quote.)  allow more propane flow thru the hose to the built in regulator  thus allowing quicker start up and if you had issues with running it on high without it going out    now there is a mod that works too

Uh... yeah, my brother the "Genius" did this to a table top portable grill... the ones with the 1 lb. tank. Shot that dang grill across the yard like a rocket and set himself onfire in the afterburn... I would NOT recommend doing this mod!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:49 PM »
On further testing today out on ice, it didn't seem to heat my grilled cheese sandwiches very good, kinda hard to figure out, I hold my hand in front of heater and I can't keep it there, I gave em' 15 minutes or so in front(directly leaning on the heat shield on front of heater) and they were not even warm(wrapped in aluminum foil), I would of thought that would have been plenty of time to heat em up....weird. So I placed em on top to heat them up...burning my toast some. Back to the drawing board I guess. Smitty

Yea Smitty, I kind of thought that might be the result. Tin foil reflects the heat away and back toward the heater. It might get hot on the face but the opposite side is staying cold. I do sandwiches up on top and just flip them a bunch of times till they get warmed up enough with out burning.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #110 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Yea Smitty, I kind of thought that might be the result. Tin foil reflects the heat away and back toward the heater. It might get hot on the face but the opposite side is staying cold. I do sandwiches up on top and just flip them a bunch of times till they get warmed up enough with out burning.

Dull side out and shiney side in when reheating with aluminum foil!!!

Just the oppsite of the brain wave hats doncha yanno!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Dull side out and shiney side in when reheating with aluminum foil!!!

Just the oppsite of the brain wave hats doncha yanno!!!

Dull or shiney won't make much difference here, either side will just cause the heat to go straight up.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Rotisserie!
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow night. Pretty soon there will be a Mr Buddy Heater cookbook.

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:52 PM »

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #115 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:54 PM »
what did you do about the shut off for the tip over safety device?

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:12 PM »

Used it for the first time today(12-28).Cooked hot dogs in my HT tent.It cooked them fairly slow(15-20 min.on high heat) which was good.Had to spin and rotate the dogs a little.I am going to add another piece of screen a little closer to the handle (where more of the heat is)to heat soup and hot chocolate.Overall I am happy with the little shelf,it was great for dogs.Wings or rib tips are next.Easy on easy off Caught 3 small pike also

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:22 PM »
Picked up a pack grill (Coglins),skewers and a couple wire clamps. Total cost about 8 bucks. The skewers should work good for dogs and kubi, and the drippings should clear the heater. Not quite sure exactly whos ideas I used but... thanks

I gotta chubby

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #118 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Uh... yeah, my brother the "Genius" did this to a table top portable grill... the ones with the 1 lb. tank. Shot that dang grill across the yard like a rocket and set himself onfire in the afterburn... I would NOT recommend doing this mod!!!
filled it prob full of liquid not vapor  lol   I did this after buying a hose  that had a 1/4" or so hole straight thru it and threaded connections  (pol one end and 3/8 pipe on the other end) from a gas company

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline JJZFlash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sun rise at the bait shop
« Reply #119 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:18 PM »
    paint pail screen 2 gal size  $ 1.06  on sale. works great warmed up venny steaks and had sandwiches on the ice. dont get much better!  JJZFlash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.