The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: checked ice conditions today  (Read 1395 times)

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
checked ice conditions today
« on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:13 PM »
well took a stroll down to the lake to check ice conditions.  looks good even with all that snow the other day.  i have a good 6-7 good inches of that hard stuff.  and have about 4 inches of slop on the ice, i'll wait until sunday to get out.  should be real nice and hard after tonights temp going down to 8 degrees!  it's going to be a chiller sunday for sure.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: checked ice conditions today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Yea we had to push through lotsa slush this mornin too!!  Good 6 inches of ice, and like you said, LOTSA slush! Makes walkin hard!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:17 PM »
very hard to pull the shack!  i went out wednesday to try to fish a lake and i couldn't pull my shack more than 2 feet!  had to call it quits until that slush gets locked up.  should have no problem after tonight, though.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:20 PM »
No i dont think we will! Didnt have a problem pulling the shack, i've got a shappell 2 man and it pulls real easy on top off the slush cuz it folds down flat, i could see where it would be hard with a heavier shack tho!! I sure hated trudgin through all that slush!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:23 PM »
yeah it really stunk!  i have a trap pro and it just sinks to the ice and feels like i am pulling it through the mud.

Offline detroitroofer149

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, you say let me get my pole..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:18 PM »
well guys  with all those pulling problems.....i have a clam 5600 now thats a pulling problem...lol.anyone need a snowplow?just call 1-800-5600(clam)

Offline IcingSomeSlabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:30 PM »
yeah it really stunk!  i have a trap pro and it just sinks to the ice and feels like i am pulling it through the mud.
I saw a guy last year that had a frame built out of 2x4's that he placed about 18" above some boards he'd used for runners.  He claimed it helped him pull his shack thru the slush far easier. 

Offline DareDevil33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:16 PM »
I bolted skis on the bottom of mine....works like a charm

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:33 PM »
That slush is a bummer for sure.I built a platform sled with conduit runners for when the snow and slush gets deep....

Offline sledheadsx6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cabin fever !!! i need to go fishin !
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:48 PM »
went out today around 3:30 after plowing snow everyday for the last 4days , its was bad around the edges had to walk the dock out and get on after my brother put his boot though , once we where out it was 6-8" of hard ice under the 4-5" of slush should be completely hard by tommorow night with the cold coming in tonight , should have 10-12" of ice then ! that be coool ! only one problem today , the water was like mud cloudy as hell , no fish either got one bite and one big perch off a minnow , i hope it picks up by wed. heading over to cass lake in pontiac might try a few other lakes as well . good luck

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:58 PM »
just got off a lake in allegan 4 of slush but a decent 6 inches under that caught 18 gills on minnows left the shack right in the truck

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:00 PM »
well took a stroll down to the lake to check ice conditions.  looks good even with all that snow the other day.  i have a good 6-7 good inches of that hard stuff.  and have about 4 inches of slop on the ice, i'll wait until sunday to get out.  should be real nice and hard after tonights temp going down to 8 degrees!  it's going to be a chiller sunday for sure.

slush will harden up with those kinds of temps. Youll be walking on a lot of ice soon!
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.