The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Panfishin'  (Read 1835 times)

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
Panfishin'
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Ok, I just can't figure it out. I have gone out many times now and except for the one good day on Lk. Skegemog for perch, have had ZERO luck. I would really like to catch some panfish but just don't seem to know how. I really need some help from you guys, my freezer is barren! Thanks!

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panfishin'
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Maybe timing ! Early morning and later in the afternoon.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:18 PM »
That could be, haven't had a chance to get out really early or stay out really late...yet. Thanks

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:10 PM »
It's been slow for me also but today they really turned on.  I was out at 2 till about 5:30 and the fish were hitting all afternoon.  It seems some of the guys have been doing good and some not so good. I live on a lake and don't fish any other lakes so I think it all has to do with conditions. Black ice and noise seem to shut fish dowh.  Good luck.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Ok, I just can't figure it out. I have gone out many times now and except for the one good day on Lk. Skegemog for perch, have had ZERO luck. I would really like to catch some panfish but just don't seem to know how. I really need some help from you guys, my freezer is barren! Thanks!
Do you have a flasher and are you marking fish?

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Unfortunately, no I don't have a flasher (wish I did) but I do move a lot if I don't catch anything. What kind of jigs work well? I've just been using a very small swedish pimple tipped with larvae, also i've tried just a hook and a larvae. Don't have many icefishin jigs so I just use what I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Can easily stock up on the basics, cheaply with good quality jigs  www.jamminjigs.com   From there it can get expensive but these work very well for starters. Suggest Bobber Fry and #10 or #12 Teardrops to start

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Can easily stock up on the basics, cheaply with good quality jigs  www.jamminjigs.com   From there it can get expensive but these work very well for starters. Suggest Bobber Fry and #10 or #12 Teardrops to start

I just placed my second order with Jammin Jigs. the first batch was so nice I waited a whole 2 days before placing my second order!

I like his neon line...I bought #8 & #10's neon tigers and tiger striped tear drops. I will order again in a couple weeks...really nice stuff.

I would recommend a craigslist used fish finder and rig it up for easy ice use...I had an eagle that was ok for depth and marking fish...or if you can Cabelas has the showdown troller for 159...someone also mentioned another coupon...but I have heard good things about that little unit.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Thanks a lot! Looks like I'll be paying Jammin' Jigs a little visit. Great feedback, I really appreciate it.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Anyone have any luck on Skegemog for gills?

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I went out there Friday and caught lots of perch, but not a single gill (or any other species for that matter!). Good luck though if you head out there.

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Unfortunately, no I don't have a flasher (wish I did) but I do move a lot if I don't catch anything. What kind of jigs work well? I've just been using a very small swedish pimple tipped with larvae, also i've tried just a hook and a larvae. Don't have many icefishin jigs so I just use what I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
go to custom jigs.com diamond jigs and gill pills size 12 and 14 thats what i use for specks gills and perch check my pics man they work
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:41 PM »
go to custom jigs.com diamond jigs and gill pills size 12 and 14 thats what i use for specks gills and perch check my pics man they work

I really lik
e the diamonds and gill pills also! Gander Mountain carries them 2 for 1.99...plus tax :( but you save the shipping. Jammin Jigs shipping 2.50 custom jigs 6.00...plus jammin always adds freebies
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline bigfjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:45 PM »
i've had good luck with marmooskas too, but no matter what you get, get a selection of colors, cause what's hot one day might not be the next

Offline Clam22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I dont know what to tell ya. Panfishin is as basic as it gets when it comes to icefishin...Where abouts do ya live because I know of some real honey holes. Limit out on 9-12"Crappie and 7-10"Gills. My freezer is packed but I am after Walleye and perch now.
Catchin Fish and Drinkin Beer

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:11 PM »
i've had good luck with marmooskas too, but no matter what you get, get a selection of colors, cause what's hot one day might not be the next

I'm a jigaholic. My local shop sells Marmooska's 2 for $1. I have...a few. :D

I usually have 6 rods rigged with different jigs or color options to help dial em in. Yes I know I have an illness and need therapy!

Offline Krampa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:55 AM »
i like to move a lot. ten,fifteen minutes at a hole,tops.
cant catch fish where there not. a flasher realy helps also.
i have the same illness but only carry 5 rods rigged & ready to go !
when you find a therapist clam22, I'll need his number! 

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:29 AM »
All those awesome lakes up there and you aren't catching any fish?

I'd say you're at the wrong lake.  Skeg is mostly a smallie lake anymore.

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I actually live right on Silver Lake here in Traverse City. So there's tons of good lakes around but I just don't know hot spots, but I am getting a really good idea of what jigs to use thanks to the posts. Finally got a topo map of Silver, so that may improve my chances! We'll see... Thanks again

Offline on_point

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Patriot this is what I would do.   I just looked at the map of silver lake and never realized that lake had so much contour and how deep it was.   Theres a lot of nice banks and shelves there that look like they would hold fish.  If you live on the lake and you have to deal with a mayfly hatch in the summer than I would focus on looking for some silty bottoms because most likely the perch will be feeding off the wigglers in the muck.     Study you map buddy and take some tip-up with you and set them on the lightest setting possible with the smallest hook with a perch minnow off the bottom.  Law says your allowed 3 lines so might as well make the most of it.   Keep one line for jigging and moving about.  I generally will use a hali when perching just cause it sinks so fast and the perch can suck the bait in with feeling resistance.    Trick is to be mobile.   

Offline patriot88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Thank you for the info...sounds like something I'm going to have to try. Really appreciate it! I'll let you know how I do next time I go out there on Silver Lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.