The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tipup fishing on Pere Marquette Lake in Ludington  (Read 2013 times)

Offline tipup49

• IceShanty Rookie
Tipup fishing on Pere Marquette Lake in Ludington
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I will be taking a group of Scouts on Pere Marquette Lake this weekend to tipup fish.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where we should fish so they will have the best chance to run for flags and catch a few fish.  Also, any recommendations on specific fishing techniques and/or best baits for this area would also be appreciated

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tipup fishing on Pere Marquette Lake in Ludington
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Ive always did good at the "cross" and I always use smelt for bait. PM lake has been slow for me this year but I hope its picked up so the scouts can run for flags all day! good luck guys

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Dow AC Park Ice-Fishing access on the south side of the lake near Buttersville. To the left (towards the cross)or to the right (fairly close to shore too) - have seen MANY pike taken throughout the area on my way to and from steelie water.

Buttersville - between the cross and Dow AC park. Near shore again. One guy I talked to here one day said 18 foot of water is the ticket.

Copian Park north-eastish ?? side of the lake. Southern end of the park to the west. Have see pike taken in this area too.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 01:33 PM »
This fish was caught in 40 FOW out by the ferry boats behind me January 23rd on a 5 inch shiner about 5 feet off the bottom. 

Offline tipup49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Ive always did good at the "cross" and I always use smelt for bait. PM lake has been slow for me this year but I hope its picked up so the scouts can run for flags all day! good luck guys
  When you fish with smelt, do you have a perferred way to rig them?  I normally use #8 trebles and a stinger hook and fish 3-5 ft off the bottom

Offline tipup49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Dow AC Park Ice-Fishing access on the south side of the lake near Buttersville. To the left (towards the cross)or to the right (fairly close to shore too) - have seen MANY pike taken throughout the area on my way to and from steelie water.

Buttersville - between the cross and Dow AC park. Near shore again. One guy I talked to here one day said 18 foot of water is the ticket.

Copian Park north-eastish ?? side of the lake. Southern end of the park to the west. Have see pike taken in this area too.
Thanks for the feedback.  I have never fished here so we really need the input to make this fun for the Scouts.  How is the access and parking in these areas?  Most likely will need to get a few vehicles there, depending on how many attend.  Also, is there a better bait?  We have used golden shiners in the past on other lakes and have had good success, but I wasn't sure of this lake.   

Offline tipup49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:40 PM »
This fish was caught in 40 FOW out by the ferry boats behind me January 23rd on a 5 inch shiner about 5 feet off the bottom. 
(Image removed from quote.)
  Wow great eye!  Looks like a Muskegon Lake walleye.  I am sure that the Scouts and adults would love to get one of those!  I know I would!  Any recommendations on bait shops in the area?  We will becoming off of US 31 so would like to make it a quick stop

Offline mpriceless7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:33 PM »
there is a store PM Frontier or something like that if you take the first Ludington exit. Its right were you have to turn to go fishing on old 31 south of the lake, they have bait, beer, etc.
[IMG]

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I use swedish hooks for my rigging of smelt with a 10 inch steel leader and a split shot. You can use golden shiners but Ive never had much luck on PM lake with Golden shiners. Buttersville park has lots of parking, and the dow access road has quite a bit of parking. The "cross is pretty limited so get there early if you want to fish the cross.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:52 AM »
I use swedish hooks for my rigging of smelt with a 10 inch steel leader and a split shot.
The leader is way overkill when using swedish hooks.  The pike can't get the hook far enough back to get to the line, so the leader really serves no purpose.  But then again, I never run steel leaders even when fishing live bait and trebles. 
Thread a smelt on your swedish hook and drop it in the hole about 6".  If it floats head up, I stick a nail in its mouth to level it out.  No need for extra sinkers either.  The bigger swedish hooks and a nail are all the weight you need, even in 30-40' of water

Offline tipup49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:44 PM »
there is a store PM Frontier or something like that if you take the first Ludington exit. Its right were you have to turn to go fishing on old 31 south of the lake, they have bait, beer, etc.
  Thanks for the info will look for this place, but I don't think I will be purchasing any beers for the Scouts!  But will definitely keep this in mind for future trips - LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.