The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tired of cleaning gills.........  (Read 11050 times)

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tired of cleaning gills.........
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:26 PM »
the last 4 days I have caught limits of nice gills but after 3 days of  fileting them I had enough.   There a couple of old timers I see on a regular basis and have talked to quite often.   In many conversations they have mentioned to me they like fishing but have a hard time staying on the ice for more than a hour or so at a time, so today i gave them my 25 to split as they had about 10 on the ice and were packing up.   So after chatting a bit and walking back to the vehichles I see a CO truck sitting there and he asks how I / we did.  Then he asks me what I gave the 2 guys and so I tell him my limit of 25.  He then asks to see the fish and the one guy shows him and the co then wants them counted so they dump them out on the tailgate and he counts 31 and his partner counts 6 in his bucket.  The co then goes on to issue a ticket to the one guy for having too many fish in his possesion.   After explaining to the co I had given "MY LIMIT TO SPLIT" he was being a real a#% and the reason they were in the bucket it was because the other guy only had a bag with him.  After about 30 minutes of disputing this with the co he finally lets it go, I dont usually like to complain about the co's but there are too many who are on a pwoer trip. 

I dont know but trying to be nice can really bite you in the a$# sometimes

[IMG]]

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tired of cleaning gills.........
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Thats BS what he did or tried to do. Guess they are all about making money for the state

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:41 PM »
NO, The law is 25 in possession....He had 31.....No power Trip....read the law......He should have taken the 6 extra and given them to the other guy to comply with the law. He has an LEGAL obligation to make sure he is compliant with the Possession law even if it was a good deed.

btw the money goes to the courts, not to the state, guess you need to get your facts straight before you make assumptions.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I understand the 25 in possesion and know what the "book says" but it is a technicality.   You could talk to 10 co's and I bet 9 of them would not have blinked a eye.   I am not postive but I believe it is the same co who gave crap to friends deer hunting this past year.  4 friends were out thanksgiving weekend trying to fill their doe tags pushing some corn.   All 4 filled the tags and the 4 does were in the back of one truck, 2 guys took off to head back to a friends to hang the deer leaving 2 at the truck with 4 does tagged by 4 different people.   The co sees the stops the truck and looks at the deer and asks where the other 2 guys are.  Then he goes to tell them that arty hunting is illegal and taging a deer with someone elses tag is illegal which is common sense.   In the end he makes them wait for the other 2 to drive back and just issues a warning.
[IMG]]

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:01 PM »

[/quote] Not sure why hollywood attacked you so bad, Must be a CO...LOL That is power tripping to the 10th power. I have met some real nice CO's/DNR... I have met 1 total A** CO... He is the one that stands out the most. I would have loved to knock that punk for a loop.... I know a few cops and spoke to a couple DNR guys... Everyone has told me they know in 5 seconds if they are dealing with a truley illegal guy or an honest mistake guy.... ASSUMING these old timers where peaceful/honest guys I think this CO just had a hard on.... I may be wrong so nobody attack me for this but I think a part of a CO/DNR's job is also to teach the laws out there... Or at least instruct the proper way of practicing the laws.... Turns my stomach to hear of a hard butt like this.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:53 PM »
btw the money goes to the courts, not to the state, guess you need to get your facts straight before you make assumptions.

Government that is funded, all or in part, by taxpayers is usually considered "The State". And that includes the courts (State Judiciary System),State Dept.of Nat. Resources,State Dept. of Education,etc.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:02 PM »
well done iceassin ;)

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:10 PM »

Government that is funded, all or in part, by taxpayers is usually considered "The State". And that includes the courts (State Judiciary System),State Dept.of Nat. Resources,State Dept. of Education,etc.

so with the way you said " The State". And that includes the courts." I guess the way I said it was right  without making assumptions??

Courts are part of the state therefore the state gets the money ????

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:18 PM »
so with the way you said " The State". And that includes the courts." I guess the way I said it was right  without making assumptions??

Courts are part of the state therefore the state gets the money ????
You were/are correct sir.

Offline woodstock1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Not sure why hollywood attacked you so bad, Must be a CO...LOL That is power tripping to the 10th power. I have met some real nice CO's/DNR... I have met 1 total A** CO... He is the one that stands out the most. I would have loved to knock that punk for a loop.... I know a few cops and spoke to a couple DNR guys... Everyone has told me they know in 5 seconds if they are dealing with a truley illegal guy or an honest mistake guy.... ASSUMING these old timers where peaceful/honest guys I think this CO just had a hard on.... I may be wrong so nobody attack me for this but I think a part of a CO/DNR's job is also to teach the laws out there... Or at least instruct the proper way of practicing the laws.... Turns my stomach to hear of a hard butt like this.
   I agree 100% know alot of c.o"s in Michigan & family that are co"s in Tenn & Mo they also said bs..

Offline KD O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Actually, the amount of the fine is determined by the court. Part of the fine goes to the court, part goes to the F&G fund, and part goes to the county in which the fine was levied.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Actually, the amount of the fine is determined by the court. Part of the fine goes to the court, part goes to the F&G fund, and part goes to the county in which the fine was levied.
Exactly

Offline ArticusMedicus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Hate Mi. Co's with a passion. And before you ask, no I have never been ticketed by them.

I hope they all (edit for those with thin skin) get abducted and dissected by aliens.

Nothing but revenue generators for a crooked system. And a HUGE waste of tax payers money.
Yea, I'm a bit of a rebel.

Brown Coat to the bone!!

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Hate Mi. Co's with a passion. And before you ask, no I have never been ticketed by them.

I hope they all go through the ice.

Nothing but revenue generators for a crooked system. And a HUGE waste of tax payers money.

Now I dont have those harsh of feelings, but I do agree to an extent.  There are many issues out there in which they are needed but those issues get missed when they are "too busy" harrassing people.  Not all are bad, there a few up north That I see on a regular basis doing the best they can considering in many areas they are understaffed.   Too me there are bigger issues in the state and the dnr in general is completely clueless
[IMG]]

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:43 PM »
My moms neighbow was fishing with us out on Hardy and the DNR showed up, 2 of them. One checked in on my daughter and I in our shanty and then walked over and checked my mom and other daughter in their shanty, he was nice and friendly.

The other CO went over and checked our neighbor at the same time, asked for his license (free fishing weekend) then harassed him about MY tip-ups and how he was supposed to know who's they were... I personally would've told him to walk his ass over and read the names on them but it wasn't me being harassed.

Point being, there's always one in the bunch.

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Usually I don't have a problem with the COs.  I've had only brief contact with them and they've been pretty cool.  But in this case, he saw you give them the fish.  What a dink.  Like always, there's always at least one in the bunch.  Well, at least it finally worked out in the end.

Offline TntBull

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:02 AM »
Wow Articus say what you really feel,lol!! I am sure there are some that give you crap cuz they can, but I am sure not all are that way!! ;D

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:04 AM »
I feel  your pain but maybe you don't need to be keeping your limit day after day if  your tired of cleaning them. Just a pure common sense thought.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:52 AM »
I usually get checked by the C.O.'s a couple times a year and they have always been very courteous. It is usually a good chance to share information about where the good fishing is happening that day. I sometimes think we get crap from people because of the vibe we are sending out at the time. Why get upset by people just doing their job?
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Kinda like the police,some give you the ticket,others let you off with a warning.

Took an older/retired gent ice fishing w/me a few years ago. We got checked by the CO and the guy didn't have a license. Told the CO he hadn't been fishing in X amount of years,probably wouldn't go again. This CO was real nice...let him continue fishing.Just told him if he went again he'd better have his license...

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:24 AM »
Discretion is allowed by LEO's.  I don't feel that Hollywood attacked anyone.  It seems to me that he just states the obvious, and you guys go and flame him for his trouble.  Bummer.  I thought all that garbage was resolved. 

But like he and another member said, 25 is the law.  He CO was doing his job. 

And AtricusMedicus? What you posted was just poor form. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:05 AM »
some are nice some arent.i got checked last week and his major concern was if i had over my limit of fish.i told him i havent even caught any fish and he goes right over to my gear sled and started lookin thru my stuff.he is the law and i know if i open my mouth id prolly end up in his truck. so i did not question why he had the right to search

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:08 AM »
I had a CO run toward my truck when I was turning around in the UP and thought He was going to be a real treat.  Come to find out he was a VERY professional guy.  He did check out my stuff but that is his job.  I did have a violation with the way I had my gun in the case but he politely explained how the law read and we fixed it and he wished me luck.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:17 AM »
I feel  your pain but maybe you don't need to be keeping your limit day after day if  your tired of cleaning them. Just a pure common sense thought.

all though I did say I was tired of cleaning them doesnt mean I was going to let them go to waste and not clean them.   I would have cleaned them when I got home without a problem and put them in the freezer for future use.   Its kind of like cleaning smelt when I was a kid, we go to UP and fill a few wash tubs and when we got home we would get about half way thru em all and grandpa would look at us and say "better get them cleaned and enjoy dont know what next will bring" will a few choice words mixed in.  Well the next year we got very few and havent seen a good run in years
[IMG]]

Offline gillhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:41 AM »
all though I did say I was tired of cleaning them doesnt mean I was going to let them go to waste and not clean them.   I would have cleaned them when I got home without a problem and put them in the freezer for future use.   Its kind of like cleaning smelt when I was a kid, we go to UP and fill a few wash tubs and when we got home we would get about half way thru em all and grandpa would look at us and say "better get them cleaned and enjoy dont know what next will bring" will a few choice words mixed in.  Well the next year we got very few and havent seen a good run in years

Maybe catch and release?

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:48 AM »
GoBlue2255, Just curious , what is the possession limit in your state ?

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:17 AM »
GoBlue2255, Just curious , what is the possession limit in your state ?

By reading his first post, he says it's 25.
Death from above

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:21 AM »
He says the daily limit is 25, is the possession limit the same ?

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Not sure why hollywood attacked you so bad, Must be a CO...LOL That is power tripping to the 10th power. I have met some real nice CO's/DNR... I have met 1 total A** CO... He is the one that stands out the most. I would have loved to knock that punk for a loop.... I know a few cops and spoke to a couple DNR guys... Everyone has told me they know in 5 seconds if they are dealing with a truley illegal guy or an honest mistake guy.... ASSUMING these old timers where peaceful/honest guys I think this CO just had a hard on.... I may be wrong so nobody attack me for this but I think a part of a CO/DNR's job is also to teach the laws out there... Or at least instruct the proper way of practicing the laws.... Turns my stomach to hear of a hard butt like this.

Apparently his old lady must be being a prude!!!

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Wow I guess I'd better consider my self lucky because when my boys and I are out fishing we don't separate our fish, just keep them all in the same bucket. Am I going to have to start tagging them now like they make you when duck hunting... I think he must have been having a bad day to push such an issue. The co's I've met up at fish point are really nice guys, the feds on the other hand are quite a bunch of bullies.
[IMG]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.