The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wheatland area  (Read 2016 times)

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wheatland area
« on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Any of you guys evere fish Grayrocks thru the ice? I was by there the other day and it actually looks like a lake now. Water is right at teh bottom of the boat ramp. The soft water fishermen did pretty well there this season.

I haven't been by #3 this year, anybody know what kind of shape it's in? That used to be a great slimer lake.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wheatland area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2008, 05:45 PM »
I drove by Wheatland #3 two weeks ago and it is a puddle. I think it is no wider than about 300 yrds. From the boat ramp to the lake it is around a half mile to where the water begins.  :-\ sorry.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2008, 11:09 PM »
Has anyone been up to toltec lately? just wondering how it was looking up in that area.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Big Al, I am heading there tomorrow. I was going to try and fish it, softwater, at the beginning of Nov. Back then the lake had a skim of ice. Last year we fished it at first ice and caught only one sucker. 

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Tumbleweed if you could let us know how the fishing was and maybe if there is a little ice. I think i am going to try to fish it when i am off on Christmas break if the weather cooperates. Hopefully you catch more than a sucker too. Also when open water fishing there my best luck was always on rooster tails.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Big Al the fishing was slow but steady until 1:00 pm. We caught a total of nine fish, of which two were brookies. We caught nothing larger than 16". The ice is a solid 6" and should only get better. We were on virgin ice, not another hole had been drilled and we didn't see a soul while fishing.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:03 AM »
looks like you did OK it is better than sucker fish. and i am glad there is 6" i will have to go up there then. were the roads clear?

Offline Wyo2AK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Nice brookie Tumbleweed! 

I remember driving to Toltec from Laramie in mid-winter was always an adventure.  The last stretch from Wheatland 3 to Toltec felt like you were driving on the moon.  And just about the time you'd convince yourself you had to be the only person crazy enough to drive way out there, you'd come around the bend and there would be all these trucks with county 2 and 13 plates.   ::) ;D
Don't worry about me... I'm from Wyoming.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Big Al the roads were clear and it was raining on the way in at 7:00 am. So strange. I've never had a problem getting to Toltec in the winter on Fetterman rd but I have to agree with wy2ak about the moon thing. That is one desolate stretch of gravel...almost spooky in the middle of winter. The only spot on the road that has given me any grief is the access to the lake. I have pulled my hut in by hand the last 200 yrds or so a few times.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:53 AM »
I think i am going up weekend after next and try my luck. in your pic tumbleweed it looks like your about in the same spot as where we usually go.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:02 AM »
I drove alone to Toltec from Denver a couple years ago and ice fished it.  I never saw another soul from Rock River to Toltec.  I like the desolation and the fishing was decent.  Only caught bows'.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:09 PM »
It is nice up there. I heard that it may not be public for very long though. Johnstons own the land around it and they made some sort of deal saying that it would be public for x amount of years. I believe that the time is getting close. has anyone else heard that?

Offline merlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Fished Toltec today, slow & windy, saw some, caught a 'bow, about 16", released it.  Weather moving in as we left, no one else around.  We did "surf & turf", hunted elk early & late, fished 10 - 2, so not best time to try.  Used mealworms.  Happy trails.

Happy Trails,

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:09 PM »
Merlin nice to hear from you. Did You or my Dad catch the fish lol. Thanks for the report. Did you get any pictures?

Offline merlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:20 PM »
big al 1:  I caught the fish, of course!  Saw lots of elk, but no shots!  How's school?
Happy Trails,

Offline merlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:23 PM »
sorry, no pics, grandma took camera to laramie to see new granddaughter!
Happy Trails,

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:19 PM »
Big Al the fishing was slow but steady until 1:00 pm. We caught a total of nine fish, of which two were brookies. We caught nothing larger than 16". The ice is a solid 6" and should only get better. We were on virgin ice, not another hole had been drilled and we didn't see a soul while fishing.

What were you using? I might be going up thier this sunday.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I am going to home to wheatland this weekend too. I was pondering whether or not to try Toltec or not. I want to i just don' t know what the weather is going to be like. If I go I may see you up there IcedBush13.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.