Author Topic: How do you hook your bait?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do you hook your bait?
« on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I plan to use my tip-up for these eelpout and I was wondering if you guys use that black line that most people use on tip-ups for pike.  Also, how do you hook your bait?  Any special way?  And info would help tons!  Thanks!
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How do you hook your bait?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Since Burbot (Eelpout) feed at night and I hear they feed by smell we usually use any kind of braid. Tip-up line is fine. I often use 80# braid left over from one of my Halibut rigs and it is white.
Here in Alaska we have to use dead bait and I usually use Herring with a 5/0 or 6/0 hook to meet our Burbot fishing regs(1/2" gap between point and shank to help keep people from targeting lakers). I usually run the hook through the herring and then back through with hook point facing the tail of the bait. Most fish prefer to eat their prey head first as this makes it harder for the prey to get away(they can't swim backwards).This puts the point facing the right way., Double hooking like this makes it harder to steal the bait.
Also my lines are set on the bottom per our regs and left out overnight and checked in the morning.
Hope this Helps.
btw my last trip we caught 24 small burbot biggest being a hair over 2#.
Still made an excellent fish fry though.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Any chance you could throw up a pic?  Do you use leaders or jsut tie the line straight to the hook?  You use just the one treble?
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:59 AM »
I just use dead or live Minnow in the 6 to 7 inch range . Put the hook back behind the dorsal fin just under the back bone . lower bait to bottom and wait . We  use 25lb black icefishing line  with large hooks
hook and cook

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:46 PM »
I like to use set rods for the burbot so I can fight the fish with rod and reel. 

I can only use dead bait can be used in my area.
I attach an elastic band around the bait and then run the hook or hooks through the elastic band so the bait sits horizontal in the water.

Sometimes I center punch a hook through my bait.

On the smaller baits I just hook them through the skull or tail on a jig and let sit or jig with it.

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Any chance you could throw up a pic?  Do you use leaders or just tie the line straight to the hook?  You use just the one treble?

No trebles just one standard J hook. No leaders needed either at least where I fish.
I usually add a small 1/8 oz egg sinker on the line then a swivel and then 12-24"s of more braid then the hook.
I don't have any pictures sorry.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.