Author Topic: tipup rigging  (Read 12034 times)

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
tipup rigging
« on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:07 AM »
I know there are other posts on this... but I want to know a couple other things.

besides line and hook.. how do you rig up for eyes..  length of leader but mostly.. splitshot...s beed.s how big of beads mostly and just trebles or what?  thanks.. eyes still elude me

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: tipup rigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:09 PM »
I use leaders that are at least 3 feet long.  I only use trebles (bleeding red).  I run a split shot 1 foot up from the hook.  I place my tip ups 3-4 feet off the bottom.  I had this problem with walleyes eluding me until this season.  Since you are from N.Y. try Honeoye .  They are not huge but that is were I have iced 4 in 3 trips.  The ice should be good again by Sunday or Monday.

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2006, 05:22 PM »
Try eliminating the split shot Gives the bait more action and doesn't get tired as quick. it will go down, just take your time
seting up.  I have had good luck, Just my 2 cent's :-\

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:13 AM »
Reuben

Try a 8 foot leader of 6-8 pound test line, with a splitshot about a foot up the line from the hook, which I use a size 14 treble. I don't use any beads.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I use a smaller hook usually a 12 and also four foot of 12lb test line for my leader ,it seems to do the trick!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Reuben,
  I like to use about 4 feet of 6lb. test flourocarbon for leader material for walleyes.  You can land big fish on it, just be patient and don't put too much pressure on them.  When I fish tip-ups (which I do later in the season once the fish become less aggressive and don't respond as well to jigging) I put a small swivel in between the flouro leader and your backing.  I experiemnt with the weight of the splitshot, but I never use much.  Only enough to get the minnow down.  Putting the splitshot closer to the bait will work better on neutral to less active fish, (somewhere around a foot up).  When fish seem active I'll put the weight up to 2 1/2 feet up.  You just gotta play and see what works.  I'll set baits anywhere from a foot off the bottom, up quite a ways.  If you fish honeoye, as the season progesses walleyes over the main lake basin seem to suspend 5-10 feet off the bottom for some reason.  This usually occurs late feb/early march, but not in all years either.  I think it probably has to do with dissolved oxygen levels and the amount of decaying plant matter in the lake maybe???just a guess.  This of course relates to overall ice thickness and sunlight penetration as well as other factors. Anyways that's another topic...  This time of year I like to set them 2-3 feet off the bottom, maybe as high as 4 feet.  Walleyes like many fish will "feed up" so don't be too worried if the bait is above them.  As far as hooks go that depends on the size bait you are using.  I like smaller hooks rather than big hooks.  Usually I'll use either size 12 or 10 trebles and bait from 3-6 inches in length.  Occassionally if I'm using big bait, I'll use a size 8 treble.  I like to downsize my bait also as the season wears on.  As for beads....I've used them and they seem to work. I like green or red beads, nothing too big or gaudy, just about the size that you find on spiner rigs for walleyes.....any other questions let me know.
-IceGeek

Offline bluegill hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Anybody fish in current, looking for ideas on keeping the minnow down there in the strike zone.  Thinking of trying a dropper rig or even a lindy type rig but don't know how hard the fish will have to pull to trip flag or rattle reel.  Any resistance they feel and they are gone, biting pretty light up here.

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2006, 06:27 PM »
I was ice fishing in a river in West Virginia once. It was about 100 yards wide and 15 feet deep. Just like you said, the current would keep my bait really high. An old guy told me that I needed to change to smelly bait (ie. PowerBait, sprays) since the current would attract from afar.

I gave up and went to a lake.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2006, 06:29 PM »
I use six pound p - line fluorocarbon leader for walleyes. I tie a barrel swivel on the end of my 15 pound HT Polar Vinyl Coated tip up line, then 3 feet of the fluorocarbon. I will add a little weight if I need it to get the minnow down. Set your tip up on a hair trigger setting.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline bmoc2525

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I have been using quick strike rigs made of fine wire. Sevenstrand is the company that makes the wire. I have to use wire because where I fish there are a lot of big pike. (last weekend we caught 9 over 10 pounds) Use the 20lb and you have no problem catching walleyes in the clearest water. I make my own rigs using #10 and #12 hooks. With the two hooks in the bait you can't let them have it long but my hook ratio is way up since I started.
Hard water, cold beer, and a warm shanty make for a good day!

Offline mr.walleye9481

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2006, 05:44 PM »
I usally have a 30lb braided line to a swivel and about 4-7 feet of leader. 6-8 lb mono and then a split shot about 1 foot above the hook. Gamakatsu hooks 4-8 depending on the size of the bait.
without ice i guess i would have to go to class

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2006, 08:03 PM »
An important thing to remember is to let the minnow down slow in water 20' or more . Especially if your using a weight. If not it messes with their lungs and they get sluggish. It is easy to forget when your out there. Definitely use a split shot on larger minnows about 3 ft up. They're too strong and swim out of the strike zone.

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:05 PM »
I USE MY REGULAR 50LB TIP UP LINE TO A SWIVEL.  THEN 10 LB TRILENE COLD WEATHER LEADER ABOUT 2 FEET.  USE #4-#2/0 GAMAKATSU WIDE GAP HOOKS WITH A SMALL SPLIT SHOT WITH SMALLER 2-4 INCH MINNOWS OR NO WEIGHT WITH 4 INCH PLUS MINNOWS.  WHEN THE WATER IS REALLY MURKY I TIE A COLORADO LEAF BLADE TO THE LEADER WITH A RING AND A #2 LONG SHANK HOOK WHERE I HOOK MY MINNOW.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

walleyechaser

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Invisa leaders.  Pike can't cut them and walleye can't see them.
Use mono if you don't mind cutting cut off all the time.  For every 1 walleye you catch on a tip up theres gonna be at least 5 pike take it.

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2007, 11:35 AM »
 I am going 'eye fishing this weekend and am going to try the Invisa leaders. The lake I'm fishing is loaded with Pike so I'm hoping the Invisa's will work for the Walleye and if I hook into a an NP, I won't get broke off. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2007, 11:27 AM »
 Well, fished all day Saturday 8am - 10pm. We caught several pike and a couple walleye(22in.) The walleye was caught on the Invisa Leader, but I'm not convinced that was the reason the walleye hit it as a guy I was with caught two eyes using the regular steel leaders. All in all, it was a great ending to my season.

Offline fishmaster2004z

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:02 PM »
i always change my leaders after every trip just to be safe :tipup:

Offline barnze13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:06 AM »
one very valid tip, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GET ANY SORT OF GAS FEUMS on your line or bait. they will not bite. otherwise they will chomp down any bait with any leader of they are hungry enough

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Yes, mine is very similar
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:16 AM »
one very valid tip, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GET ANY SORT OF GAS FEUMS on your line or bait. they will not bite. otherwise they will chomp down any bait with any leader of they are hungry enough
Very good tip, I have a different pair of gloves for when I am drilling my holes.  PC
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I use leaders that are at least 3 feet long.  I only use trebles (bleeding red).  I run a split shot 1 foot up from the hook.  I place my tip ups 3-4 feet off the bottom.  I had this problem with walleyes eluding me until this season.  Since you are from N.Y. try Honeoye .  They are not huge but that is were I have iced 4 in 3 trips.  The ice should be good again by Sunday or Monday.

Where do you hook the minnow with the treble hooks?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline flagnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:24 PM »
yea eyes are tricky they don't like steel leader

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:07 AM »
I also have the reels set as loose as possible,just tight enough that the minnow won't trip it. Wallys hate resistance!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline coltons dad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can you put a chimney in my shack?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:06 AM »
a good idea is to take your tip-ups apart at least once a year and clean them up w/ light sandpaper and lots of grease. walleye usually dont go too far once the hit but light split shot or my favorite a small pimple w/ a upsized hook are still in my opinion a must. 6lb flouro. 8 or 10 size treble. always a treble.
born to fish; forced to work.
all fisherman lie alittle, its just in us.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Try putting a spinner blad on your line. Put it about 1 foot above your treble hook, weither that would be on your leader or tip up line it doesnt matter. Put your split shot right under it so it can spin around in the water but not fall down on your hook. A few hardwater veterans in my area told me to try it and actually ive been catching walleye constistantly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.