Author Topic: shallow water walleyes  (Read 13257 times)

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
shallow water walleyes
« on: Sep 28, 2011, 09:55 PM »
so whats the deal with these shallow water walleyes i recently saw them catching on idofishing?

anyone care to share some knowledge and enlighten me? ;D
thanks

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
Re: shallow water walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:16 PM »
be very stealthy...stay away from the noisy folks...hard water or open water.
my 2 cents.
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Now I need to figure out how to do this. I usually set up my fish pursuits in shallow water, in search for those fish that are jus cruising for banks looking for food! Especially without a fish finder, I find this the best shot to run into bigger fish that you might be able to mark and play with in deeper water but in the shallows you typically will only get one shot at.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:14 PM »
I do the best for shallow walleye at last ice, mid-end of March, super shallow shoreline structure 2-5 feet, they are usually more agressive than the deeper walleye at this time of year and seem to hit almost anything.

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:38 AM »
what were them guys using in the vid?? slender jigs??

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:41 AM »
slender spoons by custom jigs n spins

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM »
alrite thanks

Offline flags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:35 PM »
when I stay out all  night I will move my tip ups into water as shallow as 6-8 for eyes chasing bait fish.  I use reflective tap on the flags and stay away until i can pick up a flag with the flashlight.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:35 PM »
im definitely going to have to try shallower this year.

Offline CT-iceguy.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • aka striperboy on CTF
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:33 PM »
I like fishing shallow all season, even when the ice gets to be 18+inches. One of my largest 'eyes came out of 4 feet of water.. I usually place 3 traps shallow (4-10FOW) and 3 deeper.
Christian Genarelli

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Caught Ten walleyes the other night in 3 fow.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Ever flash a light into the water at night along a rocky shoreline in the fall?   You'll see that walleyes will cruise in 6" of water sometimes.   

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I caught a Walleye this fall and it had a mouse, that's mouse not mousie, in it's stomach so I know that have to go real shallow at times.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:17 PM »
We always set tip-ups in 2-4 feet of water at night, walter moves in and cruises really shallow 1-2 hours after dark in many lakes. If you find a spot where they hang around during the day in deeper (15-30 fow) water, look for a shallow flat or point nearby for the night bite. Drill all of your holes before dark, fish the 10-15 foot depth until dark, then move into the shallow water at full dark. Stealth is your friend, no noise or lights if you can avoid it, they are spookey in the shallow water.

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Within the last week of fishing the same time each night for an hour I've caught 15 walleyes on the edge of a channel off of islands by me. The depth of water is like 3 to 6 feet. Only thing I catch there is eyes. I was suprised by how shallow they swim in but my guess is when the sun starts to go down they head to shallower water to feed on bait fish. I'm gonna try for perch there as well cuz i'm guessing that's what they're feeding on.  ;D
The Green Hornet Strikes Again! Caught my Limit....I see you only snagged one.

Two fish are on there, bonehead. And you know damn well that I throw back what I'm not gonna eat.

Oh yeah, like that 40 pound Musky your always yapping about, it's a shame nobody ever see's you with these monsters!

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:06 AM »
My friends and I are going to give this a shot...Our only issue is weeds. Do you fish amongst the weeds in 3-5 feet or are you locating open sand flats? Does it matter?

We just find it nearly impossible to effectively jig amongst the weeds without getting hung up, plus it seems tough for the walleye to locate the bait if we have weeds all around. Any ideas?
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Almost all the walleye fishing within 45 minutes of me is in 10 fow or less. A lot of flat lakes, so getting to know the lake bottoms is key.

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:06 PM »
My friends and I are going to give this a shot...Our only issue is weeds. Do you fish amongst the weeds in 3-5 feet or are you locating open sand flats? Does it matter?

We just find it nearly impossible to effectively jig amongst the weeds without getting hung up, plus it seems tough for the walleye to locate the bait if we have weeds all around. Any ideas? Me and my buddy caught our limit of eyes in 5 feet of water in alot of weeds. We kept our bait about a foot off the weeds and eyes seemed to find our bait pretty easily don't know if this helps but try staying a foot above the weeds.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I'm greatful for this thread, I'm going to setup well in advance..drill my holes way before prime time EOD  tighter to shore  in 5 to 10 fow and keep away until a flag. hopefully i'll get something to post here ;D

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:57 PM »
 Do the walleye get scared from a hole being drilled?

Offline Tripwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:22 PM »
We try to drill our shallow holes in the afternoon.  I think noise makes a big difference in the shallows... We caught 7 on Sunday in three feet of water on a flat directly off of some structure.

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I've never tried shallow on ice but in spring I night fish in under 3ft and do very well

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:10 AM »
have had great luck in northern saskatchewan lakes in 2-4 fow below the ice, but in my experience in central and southern saskatchewan you need to be between 15-30 fow. But on the other hand maybe I haven't given the shallow water a fair effort.

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2012, 06:44 PM »
going to have to give it a try always thought they liked it deeper

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2012, 10:32 PM »
have had great luck in northern saskatchewan lakes in 2-4 fow below the ice, but in my experience in central and southern saskatchewan you need to be between 15-30 fow. But on the other hand maybe I haven't given the shallow water a fair effort.

yup, northern saskatchewan i rarely catch walleyes in more than 8fow.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:41 PM »
I've had most of my bigger fish in shallow water.(3-5 feet) definitely more about when in my limited experience.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Fished 10 fow today not going after eyes and all b dam i caught one in the middle of the day i was exicted to get into more eyes but we didn't bummer got the blood pumping is it a good sign picking them up in the middle of the day that they might head that way toward evening or was it luck :-\

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Are you guys fishing close proximity to deep water drop off when fishing these shallow areas? Are the large shallow flats or can they be a small shallow flat?

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline BlackEcoboost

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:21 AM »
I always seem to never have luck with walleye in winter. Summer sure not winter though. Gotta lot to learn I spose.
How far a fisherman stretches the truth depends on the length of this arms.

Offline Fuzzybunny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 AM »
I just got my first eye of the season this evening in 5'.  Was set up mid afternoon and caught an 18.5" a little after 6.  This was a big flat with deeper water near by.  2 misses, 1 fish in 9 hours.  Walleye sandwich for lunch tomorrow.    ;D

I'm stickin' shallow.   :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.