Author Topic: Sleeper Shack Build  (Read 33593 times)

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sleeper Shack Build
« Reply #90 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Well I finally finished the shack for good I think. Been a busy holiday season.

I found one of the liquid nail products is good down to 22 degrees and that worked well for the foam board.

Brought home the atv and trailer and got her loaded up!

Bought a set of atv ramps too and got everything loaded up. Ready to get her on the Eau Pleine. Fished it Sunday night and got a 24.5”.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:58 PM »
<°)))>{

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Looks good !

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:06 PM »
<°)))>{

That’s pretty unique! Will eventually do something of the like.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Spent today buttoning up some loose ends. Put in some furniture to try out the lay out. Should fish two people pretty well I’d say.

My flip up hole hatches are eventually gonna need modifying. Can really feel the draft. Gonna need catch covers and some kind of sleeves at some point. Not sure the hole is gonna be big enough to do full sized 5 gallon bucket sleeves.

Hung my hammock too. It’s not gonna be a perfect solution to make it a sleeper but it’s something I already have anyway.

Had to replace the battery in my sportsman today too. Has anybody found a good solution to these junk batteries? I got an agm from batteries plus with 2 year warranty. Hope this lasts longer than the last wet cell ones I’ve had.

Plan to take to the ice tomorrow!

Offline EarlyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:42 PM »

www.motobatt.com

Best battery I've ever had for my Sportsman.

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:14 PM »
looks great. If you haven't already you might want to add a diagonal ridge beam to support the hammock. That's a lot of down force applied to your anchor points.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:07 PM »
looks great. If you haven't already you might want to add a diagonal ridge beam to support the hammock. That's a lot of down force applied to your anchor points.

Yeah I wasn’t sure about it as is. It’s a two person hammock but am sure as heck not gonna try that. I laid in it and it seemed okay for now.

As far as a diagonal ridge beam, you mean to go corner to corner along the ceiling right? To help the shack from pulling oblong? Or do you mean angled from corner to floor for the downward pressure?

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:23 PM »
So she’s officially set up on the ice now. That was a heck of a project that I hopefully can enjoy starting this weekend.

Setting up was easy enough. Tilted the trailer and she slid right off.

The lake is glare ice everywhere and I’ve read about shacks blowing away or tipping over so I found the most snow I could near my spot and anchored inside with screw in anchors and a ratchet strap.

It is forecasted in the upper 30’s for a few days here so I’m a little worried about it freezing in. Set it on 2x4’s so hopefully that saves me.

As far as the travel went with it, I’d say it pulled as well as I could expect it to. Was strapped to the trailer in all 4 corners and from each eave to the front and back of the trailer as well. Had to test these straps when a deer ran in front of me. All was well though. Shack did not feel heavy at all anyway. Felt comfortable up to 45-50mph. Then the windage really got bad. May modify in the future to make a v front on the back wall.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:56 PM »
cool project, good memories on the ice

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:40 PM »
Nice!

Re: the hammock anchors,

If you think you may be putting too much strain on the shack, it can be tested by stringing up some low stretch cord from your two anchor points, when you get into the hammock, check to see how much slack is introduced into that cord and you will have a pretty good eye for what to do next.  If you do get a bunch of slack, I would agree with above and mount some sort of brace from corner to corner above and in line with the direction you're hanging.  This brace could also double as a drying rack (1" black pipe or shelf ( 2x4 layed sideways) 

As far as the drafty hatch covers go, one idea may be a strip of carpet or truck tire inner tube screwed along the parameter to create a sort of seal.

Nice build BTW,  may you spend many hours in it this season!

Jason

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 04, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Nice!

Re: the hammock anchors,

If you think you may be putting too much strain on the shack, it can be tested by stringing up some low stretch cord from your two anchor points, when you get into the hammock, check to see how much slack is introduced into that cord and you will have a pretty good eye for what to do next.  If you do get a bunch of slack, I would agree with above and mount some sort of brace from corner to corner above and in line with the direction you're hanging.  This brace could also double as a drying rack (1" black pipe or shelf ( 2x4 layed sideways) 

As far as the drafty hatch covers go, one idea may be a strip of carpet or truck tire inner tube screwed along the parameter to create a sort of seal.

Nice build BTW,  may you spend many hours in it this season!

Jason

That is a good idea to test how much it is pulling the shack out of square. Probably just hang Paracord or something like that to test?

I’m not so sold on the hammock anyway for the long run. I’ll eventually buy a cot or something like that for sleeping. I just already had the hammock laying around. It’s not the most comfortable in the first place. Haha.

As for the draft I think a strip of carpet or something like you mentioned on the open sides is a good idea! Better than banking it in and having the snow freeze on me

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Fished out of her for the first time last night. Was a slow day of fishing but nice to be out and have the lady come with.

Was over 40 degrees 2 days in a row and sunny. When we got there the shack was in about 2” of standing water with dry ice around it. I guess the green absorbs some heat. My ice anchor idea didn’t work well either. Got there and they conducted the heat down and melted the ice around them. Were just hanging there. Oh well.

Another thing I found was with the fishing hatch open the wind came up there and would push out the door. Had to come up with an extra bungy to hold the door. Some kind of wind block or hole sleeve will be necessary.

Lastly, my custom chimney venting doesn’t work great when the wind is blowing at that side. Blows in and through the pilot lighting hole so it’s very hard to light it.

Also ran out of propane towards the end of the night so she wasn’t so thrilled about that anyway.

All in all, I’d say we both liked it though! Brought home one keeper anyway.

Plans for next summer are already in the works though. Going to add another window right next to the current one. Also think I’m going to build on. Want to make a V front that’s an extra roughly 3 feet longer. Will move the heater to the front of the V then. Once that’s done I think it’ll be spacious enough and easier to tow. Will likely try to find a clearanced new heater this spring some time too.

Little cramped once you add fishing supplies

Would like a second window so we can both watch for tip ups and not be tripping over each other

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Glad you got out there!

Hammocks do have a fiddle factor about them for sure.  If everything isnt just right the aren't as comfy.  And you need alot of under insulation, being a couple pads or a thick under quilt.

Standing water is probably from the bowl your shanty created by sinking the ice a little bit.  As you probably know already, ice doesn't get its strength in a manor similar to a bridge,  but more like a floating barge.  The shanty's weight pushes down slightly causing the water that's on the ice to pool around it.  The thicker the ice, the less the effect.   You can see this in action very clearly during 1st ice (3" or less) just by walking closer to your drilled hole, the water will rise in your hole as you get closer!  I have seen pics of shantys on the ice with a bunch of holes drilled around them to drain off the water.

Jason

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Good to hear that the trip was a good one. For the lightning problem, just hang a towel over the vent while lighting, don’t forget to take it off. Might have to turn the shack to reduce wind effect if it won’t keep running.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:53 AM »
Glad you got out there!

Hammocks do have a fiddle factor about them for sure.  If everything isnt just right the aren't as comfy.  And you need alot of under insulation, being a couple pads or a thick under quilt.

Standing water is probably from the bowl your shanty created by sinking the ice a little bit.  As you probably know already, ice doesn't get its strength in a manor similar to a bridge,  but more like a floating barge.  The shanty's weight pushes down slightly causing the water that's on the ice to pool around it.  The thicker the ice, the less the effect.   You can see this in action very clearly during 1st ice (3" or less) just by walking closer to your drilled hole, the water will rise in your hole as you get closer!  I have seen pics of shantys on the ice with a bunch of holes drilled around them to drain off the water.

Jason

Well there were trucks out and stuff and there’s at least 10-12” of ice under it so I’m not sure it’s the weight. But who knows. I moved it off the spot yesterday since it’s gonna be cold now today so it should hopefully be better.

I plan to run the hammock for my first overnighter this Thursday (provided my rattle reels come in). Wouldn’t have thought of the under padding. Will be sure to bring some extra blankets!

Will bring a 2x4 and brace the ceiling regardless I think for holding my weight.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Good to hear that the trip was a good one. For the lightning problem, just hang a towel over the vent while lighting, don’t forget to take it off. Might have to turn the shack to reduce wind effect if it won’t keep running.

Yeah I was thinking duct tape otherwise but yeah same concept. I managed to get it lit to start but when the propane ran out it’s hard to get going again. Haha

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Well central wisconsin has been taken by another rain storm and warm weather. Supposed to get cold again soon of course so I had to go and check that the shack wasn’t going to freeze in.

There was about 2” of water on the ice and the shack was originally just on one 2x6 blocking so I had to pick it up one more block. Doing this by yourself with a spud bar is not very easy btw.

While I was there I hung some wire shelves that fold up when not in use. These will help a ton for space I think. Did one up high above the heater and one above a fishing hatch for the vex and tackle. Also tried out my new card/fillet table for size. Should work well!

I will say it felt pretty sketchy walking out with that much water on the ice. Was even worse walking back off in the dark. No one else out there either didn’t help the feeling. Haha

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Well the shack made it through the big warm patch we had thankfully. There were a ton of down shacks on the Eau Pleine. Really scary to see.

So I’ve been fishing a few times and this furnace has really been the death of me. When it’s calm out I can figure it out. But when it’s windy I waste way too much time on it. One time I just about blew up the shack because of the damn leaky valve. Today I write this with my Coleman stove burning inside. Unbelievable how much different it is as far as fogging the windows goes.

So does anybody have a line on a good vented and cheaper heater? New or lightly used?

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Well over the weekend we packed out the fryer and all the materials and had a fish fry right on the ice. That was really something! Food always taste so good out there! During the fry with everyone inside the shack got pretty warm near the ceiling. Was 70 at our feet!

Today I also made my first major modification. Added another window to the shack. Wanted to do in a row with the other window to see tip ups better, but for its alternate hunting purpose I decided it would work better next to the door. Plan to take the door right off and make a half door to shoot out of. Plus it will cross vent better this way.

Oh yeah. And I pulled it off the ice this week. Wont be able to fish for a while and don’t wanna worry about a freak rain storm again so I figured it was better this way.

Sorry I guess this thread is turning into my personal blog.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:39 PM »

Sorry I guess this thread is turning into my personal blog.

Your thread, would expect nothing different..

Been cool following it...

<°)))>{

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Well I got the shack out again after this ridiculous cold snap. Went to Lake Wausau. Not sure how that’ll pan out. So far it’s been slow but I think it’s been slow pretty much everywhere by the sounds of it.

Lately my add ons have included 5 gallon bucket hole sleeves. Cutting a perfect circle doesn’t work so well when you don’t have any kind of jig saw. They seem to work well though! Didn’t freeze up last night anyway.

Also rigged up my rattle reels finally. Hope to stay out overnight tonight and use them.

Also made a spot for my little buddy heater to hang up. It’s just a lot easier to use on those short trips and just crack the windows.

Also brought my buddy out today. He loves his little bed and has done really well so far!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Well it’s time to drag this thread back to life. That weekend fishing lake Wausau was the last time using the shack. Glad it stayed off the lake with how February went here in Wisconsin this year.

Anyway it’s time to start planning upgrades. So I had already planned on doing a 3’ V front add on.

This year I was just so limited by mobility so I need a better trailer. Figure no better trailer than a Miltona frame! Gonna start with the frame and sheet it. Then bolt the current shack to it.

Next year I plan to build a new shack to suit the frame.

So my first question is how big of a miltona frame do I need?

I would like to stay very trailable. So likely 6.5 wide. Also want to be able to pull with the wheeler. How long can you get and pull with an atv? I see a lot of people have 6.5x12’s. I think a 14 or 16’ would be nice but you start talking about a decently high build cost and weight.

It will be just me and the mrs 90% of the time. Will fish at most 3-4 people once or twice a year. Will you fit 8 holes in a 12’ frame with an open concept. Plan to just do a camper oven and small cabinet on one half of the V front. Then a direct vent heater on the other half. Otherwise it would be all open.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:59 PM »
Also I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was having troubles with the gas valve on my current direct vent heater. Was looking at new ones and said screw it. I’ll try rebuilding this one (they are “not repairable”).

Turns out it is a fairly simple system. Just a cone in a seat with a stem and a few springs. Cleaned it up, regreased it and it works like a charm! Just a little difficult getting everything to spring back together in the right order.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Apr 21, 2019, 10:19 PM »
Well. Time to keeper going. Settled on a 6.5x12 wheelhouse size. Worked out the blueprints (seriously days into the right layout). Put together a build sheet. And all said and done my estimate was around $5-6k. That turned my plans right back around. For that much I am probably better off just buying an actual castle. Then at least I can finance it. But for right now the mrs said nope. Ain’t gonna happen.

So I’ve gotta make due with what I have. I’ve got all summer to work my way through menards 11% sales.

Started with this marketplace find. 5 year old 25k empire with the blower for $150. Can’t complain too much there. Gonna enjoy that thermostat heat!!

Then I moved to the actual shack expansion. I couldn’t figure a good way structurally to just add on, so out came the old runners and joists.

Then I still couldn’t decide how long I wanted to go, so I got planks long enough to do a 12’ shack. Likely will stick to 9 or 10’ because of weight and trailability.

So now the latest is how to transport it. My dad wants his snowmobile trailer back so I’ve gotta come up with something. Looked at a trailer dealer today and was not all too impressed with the aluminum trailers out there. Some features of Aluma were nice but I didn’t like others. Trophy looks like a very nice option and cheaper than Aluma.

This would be a nice option but it was sold. 7x14. With side load for 2 atvs.

They also had some galvanized trailers on hand that I really liked. Built much stronger and a little cheaper. Plus I like that damn near anyone can weld/fix steel (in ventilation for the zinc). I’m just a little afraid of aluminum after my first trailer in this thread.

Only downside of this steel trailer was it has a spring axle instead of torsion which I prefer. It was called Alpha made by G Force trailers. Wish I could find some more literature on it but google shows nothing.

And I’ve considered still getting a miltona frame and using it as the trailer but I will be using this trailer just as much for atv’s. This helps me justify this expense (in my head anyway).

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Apr 25, 2019, 10:35 PM »
Well I kept moving along on framing the expansion. It’s taking a lot of “engineering” as to how to make it the most structural (lots of crutching). Still a little stumped as to the best way to tie in the front wedge to the main roof since the main roof is pitched. I will likely cut a triangle wedge to make the transition to flat.

Day 1 and 2 of framing

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Apr 28, 2019, 06:00 PM »
Still moving right along with this project. Who’d of thought this was a good way to spend nice spring days?

So I wound up making a peak out of the whole roof. Good thing I saved the cut offs from when I made the trusses initially. Made the same angle to glue right on top of these rafters. Then sheeted it. Used 4 ply 1/2” for this section since it has quite a bit of pitch. The rest of the roof is 5/8 (2’ oc) which may have been overkill.

Also cut off the eaves that I had before. No easy way to transition into them and they may have looked a little cheesy. Oh well.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #117 on: Apr 28, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Thank you for the update and photos,what type of roofing material do you plan to use I can see the point where roof of original shanty and the extension meet being a possible spot from leaks.
 Steve

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Apr 29, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Thank you for the update and photos,what type of roofing material do you plan to use I can see the point where roof of original shanty and the extension meet being a possible spot from leaks.
 Steve

No need to thank me. This is more of my personal blog than anything at this point. If anyone sees anything and can take ideas or point out suggestions is what it’s here for!

But yeah this is why I didn’t go for a metal roof like I wanted to. You can’t flash it well to work for both regular rain and wind driven rain while trailering.

I will be buying another single sheet of epdm rubber roofing. This way everything will stay seamless and sealed. Will be flashing over the ridge where they meet too to make a smooth transition for the rubber.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #119 on: Apr 29, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Walleyebird I thought you might use rubber roofing to eliminate the seam where roof changes pitch. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the completed shanty in use next ice fishing season.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.