The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake,2013-14  (Read 72553 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Gull Lake,2013-14
« Reply #750 on: Mar 21, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Well my light didn't work so well. There is an internal short in the strip. I already contacted the seller and will be sending it back for a replacement. The truck is loaded and I will be heading there tomorrow after work.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #751 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I'm heading down to gull tomorrow night what time does everyone usually show up for the night and sense I'm not to familiar with the lake if I park at the prairieville launch will I be able to see where everyone is fishing in the 80-90 foot water range thanks...

Offline fishhunter87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #752 on: Mar 21, 2014, 11:58 PM »
I'm heading down to gull tomorrow night what time does everyone usually show up for the night and sense I'm not to familiar with the lake if I park at the prairieville launch will I be able to see where everyone is fishing in the 80-90 foot water range thanks...

Oh you'll be able to see.  Thats where the majority of people park,  and its Saturday so get there a little early its going to be busy!  Good luck
Shwacker87 on MS Forum......keep your stick on the ice.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #753 on: Mar 22, 2014, 12:24 AM »
Well, I finally made it back out tonight :). Fishing was very SLOW for me & several others. Fished about 82' of water & marked very few fish. Drilled holes on the way in, & checked for fish,.... Nothing :(. Guys were driving quads out tonight, w/ no problem. Of course, since I didn't know how the shore ice was, I left mine at home. It will be out there tomorrow night. Got to meet "the Ripper" & Swedish Pimp, tonight, as well as a few other guys that visit here.(I don't want to say "Lurkers") , nice guys that just like to read posts. More friends, I like that ;). If all goes according to plan, I may have a new hub shanty tomorrow night. Thanks again Ripper for letting me check out your shanty & for all the advice from you & your friends. I hope this deal works out. I will be back out Sat. night.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline fishhunter87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #754 on: Mar 22, 2014, 06:11 AM »
It was really slow for us too!  A whopping 11 between 2 of us.  Didn't realize it was supposed to rain like that!   Oh well, good luck to everyone tonight!!

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #755 on: Mar 22, 2014, 06:55 AM »
What time would u consider a little early

Offline fishhunter87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #756 on: Mar 22, 2014, 07:34 AM »
What time would u consider a little early

You should be fine if you're there by 7:00.

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #757 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Fishing was SLOW for us last night. Fished 90 FOW. Don't know a total count yet but doubt 4 of us even got 40 fish. It was nice to meet ya Smeltbuster.  Hope you like your new shanty.

Offline baitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #758 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Not the best bite last night but ended up with 150 between 3 of us.  Fished 82 fow . I can say that is the first time I've ice fished in the rain. Pretty tough walk back with everything being soaked. Time to dry the gear and get on the rivers.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #759 on: Mar 22, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Glad I got to meet everyone last night. Ripper, please pass on a big thank you to your friends for the tip on the shanty. Tonight I plan on using it. Brand new  Jason Mitchell 5000 thermal hub shanty. $279.00 out the door ,at Cabelas, in Grandville. It was in the bargain cave. Box was damaged, thats it !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #760 on: Mar 22, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Congrats on your new shanty your going to love it. I will tell him for sure. Good luck tonight hopefully its better than last night.  Wish I could get out again but might have to wait till next year :(

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #761 on: Mar 22, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Well end up with only 41 last night  :'( by myself started around 9 and fished tell midnight pretty slow :( :( But from what I heard that was pretty good :). Leased i stayed somewhat dry only got wet when i went to talk to Smeltbuster. Sorry ripper i was gonna come meet you but rain started to come down pretty good and i do melt ;D ;D ;D hopefully next year. I think that's it for me this year :'( :'( :'( :'( i got down there one Friday night this year hope more next year. Sunday was the night for me. Nice to here you got a great deal on that shanty Phil your one guy that deserves a great deal as much as you help all of us out on the shanty. have fun with it, you will love it. Nice and warm and out of that wind ;).

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #762 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Nice buy Phil! I was just looking at those online!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #763 on: Mar 22, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Don't want to sound like a FB post, but, OMG !  This shanty is AWESOME :). 1 oldschool  2mantle Coleman lantern ,pretty much did the trick tonight. Nice &  warm & way too much room for 1 person,.... But I will take it.! Nice to have the option of sharing the space w/ someone else. As for fishing tonight,...."1" smelt :woot:  Yup, it was SLOW :(.  Met some more new friends & got to talk w/ Mud-n-Fun. One of the nicest guys you could meet & his 2 sons are the same. NOTICE: Someone w/ a truck, busted the ice up , pretty good, on the north end, today. BE CAREFUL, going out. I checked Baseline rd. on the way home. Wear knee boots or hip boots to get to good ice. Forget about driving on there, unless you want to make it impossible for anyone  walking, to get on. Lots of quads &UTVs out tonight. The creek on the north end is doing a number on the ice, Be Careful.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #764 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:38 AM »
Smeltbuster the same goes for you. Always nice when I get to chat with you on the ice.
We had 18 in the bucket before the sun set and at the end of the night we had a total of 28. Had great time and that's what counts.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #765 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:43 AM »
 :o :o just 1 that's bad that's worse then slow :-[. I was wondering if someone was dumb :cookoo: enough to try it and ruin it for everyone.  Open water from the creek was close to the launch last night and with the rain last night and increase in water flow from it I would imagine it would be bigger today.

Offline MarcoDeniro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #766 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Any one going out  later.  I was going to come out after service. That would put me there at about 2:30-3:00. From what it sounds like, I might have to bring my waders to get on the ice?

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #767 on: Mar 24, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Congrats Phil on that shanty. As mentioned before, if someone deserved a deal like that it cerntainly is you with all the assistance & good nature you put on this post.Was out Friday night as well & it was a tough bite.Caught 2.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #768 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Don't want to sound like a FB post, but, OMG !  This shanty is AWESOME :). 1 oldschool  2mantle Coleman lantern ,pretty much did the trick tonight. Nice &  warm & way too much room for 1 person,.... But I will take it.!

Hey Smeltbuster...I'm Rippers buddy who gave you the heads up on the shanty location/price.  Glad it was still there and you like it so much...sounds like you got it even cheaper than the pricetag said when i saw it.  Congrats!
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Preacher Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #769 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Heading over tonight...any word on Sunday night??  and can we still get on from the launch????  Thanks!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #770 on: Mar 24, 2014, 07:39 PM »
First off, Wgorby, THANK YOU :)., I got an awesome shanty because of you ! & Welcome to the Shanty!... Also, Odabe, Welcome! Thanks for the kind words. Got the shanty set up in my barn & working on different set ups. My wife said it looks like a display in Cabela's ! Hoping to be out Thurs. nite. Gonna try & check the north end tomorrow afternoon, after work. Went back to work today :) never thought I would smile bout that, but I am.

Offline Preacher Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #771 on: Mar 25, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Smeltbuster....happy for you and your new Shanty....ENJOY....loo ks like it will be next year to meet up with ya  UNLESS I hear some great reports again and the ice holds for next week....and glad your back to work....Was out last night....started marking at 8 and by 10-11 screen was loaded...BUT ....NO bite....ended with 13 total, a baker's dozen....newbie got one:)   the graph was loaded even as we left just wouldn't bite...will be watching for better reports and possibly come back if ice holds early next week....ice was great last night10-12 inches not sure exactly, but solid and tightened up again and it was great with some crusty frozen slush on top....walk was easy and no problem at the launch getting on the N end....tight lines everyone and may you have a blast on your final trips...SURE WANT TO COME BACK ONCE MORE!!!! :) :)

Offline Preacher Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #772 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Please post if anyone catches any smelt during the next two days (DAYTIME that is)....could do it FRIDAY if I got a good word...thanks!!!

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #773 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:30 PM »
What is going on with the smelt bite this year? I have the ok to go Saturday night but man its a long drive to only catch 10 fish again. I really want to give it another shot as long as the ice holds up till then. Smeltbuster did you hit up Boris for that gift certificate?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #774 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Hey Ripper, I am going to fish, Thurs. & Fri. nights, & will post what I find. Actually thinking about trying 2nd. bay to see if anything is happening there. I stopped by Boris ,yesterday, while emptying  garbage cans, but no one was there. Gonna try again tomorrow , after work. Thanks again for the offer, I will let ya know what happens. The ice on the north end is still fine BTW.

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #775 on: Mar 27, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Went out last night & no fish at 80'. Started at 7:30 & wrapped up at 9:00. Not marking any fish at all at that depth.Maybe they came in latter in the evening, don't know.The ice conditions were great. Hopefully the shore ice holds up & give it a go next week.?    Good luck to all  !!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #776 on: Mar 27, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Planning on fishing tonight w/my brother. We are going to set up in 50'-60' of water. Going to try shallower , to see if anything  happens. If your out there, look for that new Clam Jason Mitchell shanty. Stop by & say Hi.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #777 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Well, another slow night of fishing; 13 between the 2 of us . Fished in 68', did start to mark some fish around 9:30p.m., but the bite was slow. Only 2 other shantys on the north end tonight, one in about 60' & one out in that 80' area. I don't know how they did. Lots of water on the ice & it is slick ! Wear cleats! plenty of ice, but w/ all the busted up ice at the north end, I would question, whether it is safe enough for quads & other ATVs. Also, we were fishing by 6:00p.m., never iced a smelt till after 9:00p.m., I did catch a 9" perch on the bottom, before dark. On the bright side, the new shanty DIDNT leak, & it was nice being able to share the space w/ my older brother :)

Offline MarcoDeniro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #778 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:10 AM »
Congrats on your shanty. May it serve you well and for many years. How light us it to carry?  Thanks for the update.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #779 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Glad to see your reports.  I sure would like to get up there but the way the bite has been, I don't know.  I am curious like you, I am wondering how the bite would be at the S. bay.  I talked to a guy that said a few years ago that when everyone was fishing the N. end he was out in the 2nd bay and doing good, but they were doing good on the N. end also.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com