Author Topic: Catfish  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
Catfish
« on: Dec 19, 2022, 02:46 AM »
Anyone actually target channel catfish thru the ice? I've only caught 3 or 4 ever and it was by accident/luck on my tipups. Thought it'd be fun and something different to try this year
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Catfish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2022, 10:47 AM »
I've not targeted them but there's a pond near me where I caught 5-6 small channels in one outing last year.  I found out later it's a location that the DNR stocks them.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:00 AM »
I fish a pond that has cats in it and when a big red mark shows up on vex, get ready.

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:01 AM »
I have never caught one but have heard they are regularly caught thru the ice on Lake of the Woods at Bremen.  I can't confirm this to be actually true. Seem to remember there was a picture of some a few years ago from an outing there.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:10 AM »
Latest issue of In fisherman had an article about targeting cats on ice.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:49 AM »
Don't target them but a farm pond near me has them. For some reason almost all the fish hugged the bottom, except catfish. They would come through 8 to 10 foot down over 18 to 20 foot of water. When ever a mark would show up , all you had to do was reel up and they would smash it. Never caught anything else suspended, everything else was on bottom, even crappie.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2022, 12:10 PM »
I don't target or catch that many either, but I seem to notice that too... the few I do get are basically all when I am bringing bait up toward the ice from the bottom on small ponds.

Start reeling up to make sure I didn't get robbed after a panfish nibble near the bottom... about 1/3 to halfway up that water column... BANG....catfish. I run pretty light mono for panfish, so I end up losing more of the catfish than not to broken line trying to monkey them up the hole.

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2022, 12:14 PM »
I've never targeted cats during ice but a couple years ago we were ice fishing Huntingburg Lake for saugeye and caught several nice cats.  I was using walleye gear such as rattling buckshot spoons and jigging raps.  we didn't do very well catching saugeyes but we put a hurtin' on the cats.  They acted exactly like a walleye...come up off bottom and vapor trail up about 3-4 feet and smash our jigging raps.  I thought for sure the first one or two was going to be a dandy saugeye but after setting hook you could feel the catfish roll during fight.  I was upset about catching the cats at first...but after catching several in the 3-5lb range I got over it and just had fun catching them.
Take a kid fishing!

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2022, 06:02 PM »
16-20 inch cats through the ice into the cornmeal and butter. Good stuff.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2022, 06:40 PM »
YI hear that flatheads pretty much shut down but blues and channels are active all winter long.  Some guys target then on the local resi using regular tackle
and chicken livers on the bottom.  I have foiund that they really get active later in the season. They are the only reason I've had to enlarge a hole..  The best one measured 30" and my buddy's son caught it.  We had to use the spud to enlarge a 5" hole.  Before private interests fenced and the yuppification of Geist we used to fish off the olio road bridge in late January at night. Decent size and good numbers of channels to be had

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:37 PM »
YI hear that flatheads pretty much shut down but blues and channels are active all winter long.  Some guys target then on the local resi using regular tackle
and chicken livers on the bottom.  I have foiund that they really get active later in the season. They are the only reason I've had to enlarge a hole..  The best one measured 30" and my buddy's son caught it.  We had to use the spud to enlarge a 5" hole.  Before private interests fenced and the yuppification of Geist we used to fish off the olio road bridge in late January at night. Decent size and good numbers of channels to be had

fish on,

rivereddy
Fished there slot about thirty years ago myself

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2022, 10:22 AM »
I've never tried to catch channel cats through the ice people i know that have caught them were jigging for Bass. I have caught more than my share of Bullheads through the ice. I once had a bullhead stick it's head out of a hole and look at me. I think we were both surprised.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2022, 10:30 AM »
I've never tried to catch channel cats through the ice people i know that have caught them were jigging for Bass. I have caught more than my share of Bullheads through the ice. I once had a bullhead stick it's head out of a hole and look at me. I think we were both surprised.

These were all released, only thing I'd keep there these days would be some bigger crappies if I'd have been able to get some.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Latest issue of In fisherman had an article about targeting cats on ice.
I read it, thats actually what put this idea in my head

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2022, 03:47 PM »
I have never caught one but have heard they are regularly caught thru the ice on Lake of the Woods at Bremen.  I can't confirm this to be actually true. Seem to remember there was a picture of some a few years ago from an outing there.
I've still never been there. Need to check it out one of these days. Tired of the same ol lakes

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2022, 06:15 PM »
 I have fished for cats at night with baits that glowed. We caught most of them over sand or marl bottoms next to weed edges in water 10' plus.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.