Author Topic: How long befor you move spots?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
How long befor you move spots?
« on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:57 PM »
How long do you wait pike fishing befor you try a different location?

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
Re: How long befor you move spots?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:52 AM »
It all depends on the conditions.  I usually keep on what is going on around me or on other lakes. If the fishing is slow everywhere I will stick in a area and just move tipup locations. If the fish are biting and not for me, I will change locations for the next day. You just have to feel it out. But if you were catching fish in area earlier in the year than there still there the lake conditions are probably tough. Low oxygen. Deep freeze. It will make them go quite dorment. If people are not catching small pike on small bait than most likely its not area where pike hold. If the little ones do not hold there than the big ones will deffinately not hold up there. You just have to feel it out. Let the fish telll you what to do.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:49 PM »
If I have kids with me, or people that want action then I will punch a bunch of holes and change locations to try and get on top of some fish.  If I am fishing the way I usually do then I will set up on my spots I have marked with my GPS and wait it out, but I am always after trophy fish.  I would rather catch one good one that 10 little ones in a day.  I've had days where I didn't get a flag until just before dark and that flag turned out to be a hawg.  Sometimes it pays off at the end of the day and sometimes it doesn't.  I would say 95 percent of my biggest pike have come in the afternoon, usually later in the day.  Hope this helps you ;)

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Once im set up i usually stay put for pike.....Its too much of a pain to move 5 tip ups around, especially when theres alot of people out.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Unless it's really slow, and there's nobody else around, I usually stay put and wait for them to come to me...  If I have a large area to myself, I may move a tip up or two around, especially if most of the action tends to be near a certain tip up...

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:56 PM »
i say i punch about 10 to 15 holes begining of the day then if i'm commited to an area, then throw out my 5 tip ups. i wont check bait until after the first hour. after 2 hours of no hits, i move around a little. if a half day goes by and there really isnt any promise of catching in that area, i'll move everything to a new location

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2007, 11:34 PM »
I think I'm gonna try and be a little more mobile this year..  Maybe give it an hour or two in one general area then move on.  Maybe try and do a little more research beforehand on where I'm fishing; that really isn't an issue locally, when you're used to fishing the same waters each year, but especially when I go somewhere that I only fish once or twice a year..   

What I see alot is people tend to "follow the crowd" (myself included unfortunately).  Sometimes that's good, but sometimes, especially when you're "new" to the water youre fishing, that's bad...   just because everyone is in one spot doesn't necessarily mean the fish are there...  often times, the "loners" that are away from the "group" are the ones running to flags all day!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2007, 04:13 PM »
I usually jig for panfish while pike fishing, as long as one of the bites is on, i dont move, if i cant find either, its on to another spot

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2007, 02:25 PM »
once the tip ups are out i usually don't move for 3 or 4 hours if its an area i know produces fish i generally stay put and wait for them. most of the big pike i have every caught come after waiting for a few hours in the same spot.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Depends on how hungover I am.  ;D

No, seriously,  I usually will fish about 2 hours. I f nothing after 2 hours, then I will move. Sometimes just moving 10 or 20 feet will make a big difference.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.