Author Topic: "blue" fish  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
"blue" fish
« on: Feb 24, 2004, 11:44 PM »
Well many of us had discussed the blue pike issue to pretty good lengths.  I stated that several fish I had caught in the pacific northwest were in fact turning blue due to thier eating habits.  Seems some fish have the ability to change color while piggin' out on thier favorite seafood.   The fish in the photos are ling cod and cabezon, which 95% of the time have brown coloration.  These guys not only had a skin color, but also had blue flesh!  Kinda neat watchin' folks who had never clean one of them ask "are these fish normal, or are they diseased?"  Always felt like telling them they were in fact "diseased" and should give them to me immediatly!  Truth is, they are better eating than the normal pigment fish, rather tasty like shrimp or crab.  Well here's a picture of a couple of these fish taken about 10 years ago, (pre-me owning a digital camera days...) -Barleydog

Fish on the left is a lingcod on right cabezon

This is another lingcod

TEAM ALASKA

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re: "blue" fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:49 AM »
I used to catch those guys deep jigging in Bahia de Los Angeles in Baja Mexico, off Catalina Island in California and on charter boats from San Francisco. You're right, they are excellent eating.
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.