Author Topic: hand warmers  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hand warmers
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:05 PM »
can anyone refer rechargeable hand warmers? Since high blood pressure meds my hands cant take the cold anymore.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
Re: hand warmers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:19 PM »
got a zippo for Christmas it's pretty awesome. haven't filled it completely to test run time yet

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Papa,
Amazon has a TON of rechargeable hand warmers from $16 to “as much as you want to pay”, with some made by Zippo and others. I don’t use them so I can’t give you any feedback, but I imagine you can get an idea about how good the are by the Amazon reviews. I had frostbite several years ago, so I know about cold hands. Ski.         (P.S. They are electric and lighter fluid rechargeable.)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Milwaukee makes heated gloves.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:12 PM »
One of my friends turned me on to the chemical (disposable) warmers. One in each pocket and it makes all of the difference in the world.
They last for quite a long time as well...  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:12 PM »
got a zippo for Christmas it's pretty awesome. haven't filled it completely to test run time yet

Don't lose the case... That baby gets HOT

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I use the disposable hand warmers when the need arises. And, I still have my old Jon E hand warmer that I use from time to time.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:23 PM »
In my opinion,go with a rechargeable unit,they last for several hrs,are odorless,and if not needed for warmth,they can charge a cell phone.My wife bought me a rechargeable made by FourHeart,I believe it was under $25.00,it has 3 settings and will last around 12 hrs on low.Ive never needed to use it on high much,it was actually too warm on high.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:34 PM »
In my opinion,go with a rechargeable unit,they last for several hrs,are odorless,and if not needed for warmth,they can charge a cell phone.My wife bought me a rechargeable made by FourHeart,I believe it was under $25.00,it has 3 settings and will last around 12 hrs on low.Ive never needed to use it on high much,it was actually too warm on high.
X2 on this warmer/charger. I keep one in a mitten, while wearing fingerless woolies, and switch it back and forth between hands as needed.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Get yourself a muff. What I did was buy a muff, rolled up some polar fleece and inserted it into the muff as an extra layer (could use the back of an old wool shirt or some type of other warm material), then put hand warmers inside of it. That muff has kept my hands warmer than anything else I have ever tried.

Offline Bixx99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Another option you can try is to get a pair of wrist bands similar to those tennis players or baseball players wear and put one of those chemical hand warmers in it.  They seem to keep the blood warm going to your fingers and you can tolerate the cold a little longer, especially when you dip your hands in the hole to save the catch of the day that always seems to come unhooked as you lift it out haha.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:03 AM »
Get yourself a muff. What I did was buy a muff, rolled up some polar fleece and inserted it into the muff as an extra layer (could use the back of an old wool shirt or some type of other warm material), then put hand warmers inside of it. That muff has kept my hands warmer than anything else I have ever tried.
The way to go.  BP meds treating me the same way.  I scoffed at a friend who used one all the time till he convinced me to try one.  Don't feel right without it now for a lot of activities.  Room for chemical hand warmers, snacks, a small box of jigs/plastics, etc.  Wide price range, plenty of insulated muffs available.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:38 AM »
can anyone refer rechargeable hand warmers? Since high blood pressure meds my hands cant take the cold anymore.
Feel your pain! Up until last season I never had issues with clod hands. Yes my hands got cold but last year it was painful, and numbing! So thanks for posting, Think I will look into a muff, and those chemical warmers. Hope you find something that will work for you!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Snipehunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:08 AM »
 I have several different muffs that I use.     For fishing, get one that has a hand warmer pocket ( for added warmth) and  the waist belt so you can wear it outside your coat.     Best investment I made to keep my hands warm and still ready for action ;D.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:09 AM »
Chemical heaters for hunting.  40 year old jon-es for everything else...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I also run ol reliable jon e handwarmers.i run mine with coleman camp fuel and have for 25 plus years.last all day and hot.most times i have to put them out at night because they would still be lit long after a days fishing.zippo handwarmers are alright but jon e are great.

Offline Jager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I use my Jon-e hand warmer from time to time, problem with that one is the smell of the fumes.  I usually stock up at Costco with boxes of Little Hottie's hand & toe warmers. 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Zippo is now making rechargeable hand warmers along with the ones that use the butane. they offer 2,3, & 6 hour models in the rechargeables.

https://www.zippo.com/collections/hand-warmers

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:28 PM »
I use the Woolie boogers made/sold by Screeming Eagle archery supplies. They are big mitts full of wool. Your hands slide in and out with ease and if you put a chemical pack in there it is almost too hot. They make a muff too that my wife usually uses. I don’t think you can find anything better made than these. You will not have cold hands again.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:16 PM »
I use Aspen4 fuel for my hand warmers I’ve noticed it’s cut down on the smell big time!
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I use the Woolie boogers made/sold by Screeming Eagle archery supplies. They are big mitts full of wool. Your hands slide in and out with ease and if you put a chemical pack in there it is almost too hot. They make a muff too that my wife usually uses. I don’t think you can find anything better made than these. You will not have cold hands again.

sounded good but out of stock on site

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:01 PM »
I like the zippo rechargeable ones see web-site,  www.zippo.com/collections/hand-warmers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.