Author Topic: Clam 6 man ice fishing shelter  (Read 2295 times)

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam 6 man ice fishing shelter
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Has anyone owned a 6 man Clam pop-upshelter before? I have a chance to get one on a good deal. Is it worht it? Or is the Eskimo 6 man better? Or is the Eskimo fat-fish 4 just as good? Please any info would help.

Offline old man of the sea

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam 6 man ice fishing shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:49 PM »
I just had the Eskimo fat fish 7-9 man pop up shelter and I will tell you it's a bear to set up in the wind. Another thing I found was that my big buddy couldn't do a decent job of heating it. I say I had this shelter because a pole snapped and the handle on the bag broke. I brought it back and replaced it with a Quickflip 3. Just my experience.

Offline Boydric

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:58 PM »
I have the clam 6 man and love it.  I have not set it up in any serious wind but I do not have many issues setting it up.  I am 6'3" though.  My old man purchased his and I liked it so much that I had to get mine.  We have made use of the Ice Anchors though.  Walls will cave in if you get a gust of wind.  The Fat fish 949i has definitely caught my eye. The bag is on the week side.  Clam wanted $30 for a new one.  I think that I am going to have a canvas shop near me use my old one as a pattern and have a nice one made.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:09 PM »
Thanks, if I'm going to be spending almost 400$ On one I want to know opinions from people who have/do own them! What kind of heater do you use in yours? Would a big buddy heat it fine? Or something even bigger. Because you are out of the wind, but also out of the sun. So there goes a lot of heat.

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:37 PM »
I've fished in one many times and it's a nice shack.  You can now find them at Cdn Tire occasionally on sale for about $350.  If you are in Saskatoon, I believe North Pro Sports sells them and according to their website they are on sale for $327.  Great deal if you ask me.  If I didn't already have a shack, I'd be picking one of those up.  A sunflower heater heats it very well.  Not sure on the big buddy, but I don't see why it wouldn't.  I can tell you the regular buddy is not enough for such a large area.  We've set it up in some good winds before.  You just need to make use of the ice anchors.  Buy some new straps for it though as the shoelace type strings they send are not sufficient.  The shack seems a bit "tight" though and the doors seem stretched quite tight.   The bag can be a bit of a problem as it was quite the fit after you've had it out on the ice and it's all frozen. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Has anyone owned a 6 man Clam pop-upshelter before? I have a chance to get one on a good deal. Is it worht it? Or is the Eskimo 6 man better? Or is the Eskimo fat-fish 4 just as good? Please any info would help.

Unless your hellbent on fishing with a bunch of people I would put that money towards a flipover man. Ive got both and my popup has just collected dust since I got my otter flipover, the flipovers are so much more convinient. A couple of my buddies have 6 man popups and they are cool for fishing bigger groups(3-4) but they are a serious pain to setup and you will never want to move it, they are are also very hard to heat on a cold day.

The flipover makes it too easy being that everything is stored right inside of it and you can still fish many holes in a day so that usually means better numbers.

Just my 2 cents, any shack will be better than no shack.  :tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:50 PM »
yeah any shack is better, I did pick it up today and I almost always fish with 3-5 people consistantly so i concidered the flip over but this seemed like the right one. Their is a 6 or 8 man flip over made by Eskimo, I would like to see one of those on the ice, they look impressive! But for 900$ or waht ever crazy price htey cost they better be great concidering you can make your own shack for less then that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.