Author Topic: Clear Water Bluegills  (Read 4488 times)

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
Clear Water Bluegills
« on: Feb 05, 2004, 02:45 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestion's for jigs or bait for bluegills when they are in gin clear water , i am useing 2# test line and size 16 ice jigs .....is there any certian colors that work good in clear water
thanks
Fish On

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: Clear Water Bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:55 PM »
I like really pale white shrimpos tipped w/ waxy
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline perch pirate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:15 PM »
I've been using hali jigs tipped with a couple grubs. Been a real good jig so far.

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Thanks Guys

Offline ice-treader

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 02:47 PM »

FISH ON,  During sunny days in clear water I have had some sucess with dark colored jigs.  (black, Purple, etc.)  But during the evening when the sun goes down I have had better sucess with bright flor. colors. (pink, green, etc.)  I usally kept 5 poles rigged up with different colors so I can adapt to what the gills want.
Just a suggestion.

IT

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2004, 11:17 PM »
Have to agree, after trying size and color variations, a little meat on the hook can make all the difference a "fish'in" trip to a "catch'in" trip.   :)

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2004, 02:24 PM »
 Sometimes people jig to hard/ to much too. Sometimes the bluegills want barely a flutter.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2004, 04:03 PM »
I think the smallest Custom Jigs and spins shrimpos, tipped with a single maggot. I also think the 1/50 ounce nuclear ant tipped with a single maggot also is really good. Small teardrops like a demon or a frostee also are good. Just remember to jig lightly, probably a small lift fall of a foot every 30 seconds or so, with long pauses and subtle jiggles.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2004, 05:48 AM »
Try a flourocarbon leader. Make sure hook is not showing. If you run out of options find new lake. Sometimes finding new lake very wise decision.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2004, 07:01 AM »
When they're really fussy in clear water, I'll sometimes go to a single #16 >#20 red, wide  gap hook  tipped with a single spike. It helps to be able to sight fish in these conditions. A trap or tent is a distinct advantage.. The slooooow dropping action seems to trigger more interest.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.