Author Topic: Gills At Night  (Read 10108 times)

Offline TUSH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Gills At Night
« Reply #30 on: Mar 17, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Think a lot of it depends on the lake and the fishing pressure on them. Have a couple of lakes that get fished heavily (families and kids) and they catch many dinks with enough OK ones to keep them coming back, all day right up to dark. Virtually everyone leaves at dark, a half hour or so later, and for about an hour the big boys show up (or at least open their mouths). We can pick up a dozen or so 8" - 9" 'gills (<6" to maybe 7" during the day) during that time simply going from abandon hole to abandon hole, fishing them for only a minute or so working  the water column rather quickly. With a full and new moon the time lengthens and they are more aggressive. Seems when we catch a few at a certain depth the rest will be at that level also. Have tried it on some other lakes close by and virtually identical yet it doesn't work at all. Only thing I can say is try it, there may be a hidden gold mine there.
I agree Swift. There have been several times after everyone leaves the gills start biting after dark. I have caught them for at least two hours after dark. Don't fall and hirt yourself when returning to vehicle. Could be a long night on the ice.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:02 AM »
The main thing i think u have to have is gin clear water. ;) :tipup:

Offline wildRed

• IceShanty Rookie
  • calling the puppy perch!!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:50 PM »
In Maine we fish in clear water 90% of the time, we do catch bluegills into the night, usually the best bite being just after the sun sets, just before the crappie really start to bite. 
Instant Karma's gonna get you.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.