The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Muskegon Lake - Sand Docks  (Read 1904 times)

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muskegon Lake - Sand Docks
« on: Mar 22, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Planing on making the trip over there tomorrow morning. Anyone been out there this weekend? Looking for ice report mainly, telling me how the bite was wouldn't hurt either.  ;D
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Muskegon Lake - Sand Docks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Fished Friday from 8:00-12:30. Ice measured 18-20" solid with about 2" of compact snow ice. Kept 18 fish around the 8" range biggest was 9.5". Threw back about 20 dinks and 10 shiners!  Most fish on Hali's and spikes and a jigging rap with spikes. Bigger ones came on the rap. Shoreline still ok as of yesterday. Good luck and be safe !

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Fished Friday from 8:00-12:30. Ice measured 18-20" solid with about 2" of compact snow ice. Kept 18 fish around the 8" range biggest was 9.5". Threw back about 20 dinks and 10 shiners!  Most fish on Hali's and spikes and a jigging rap with spikes. Bigger ones came on the rap. Shoreline still ok as of yesterday. Good luck and be safe !

Thanks!!!

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Made it out this morning.  Plenty of ice still, quads and sleds running around no problem. Took home 11 perch, probably caught 22 or so more little fellas including a few white perch and a rock bass.

Get out if you can!

Offline walleye270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Anyone make it out today? How is the shore ice holding up? I'm hoping to be able to make it out tomorrow morning yet. If anyone can give an ice report, I would appreciate it.

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I'm heading that way in the next couple hours.  Anyone out there now or yesterday?

I know there's plenty of ice but the shore concerns me....

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Earlier this week it was still fine, however, as of yesterday I heard (not first hand) they are still fishing and there was a plank at the ridge but not sure if they left it out there.  There is a few areas that are only inches deep and some 1-2'.  Poke around with a spud and see where it makes sense to cross.  If it was me I would have some hip boots or something.  Be safe, good luck, and report back.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:30 PM »
What do u mean the ridge I was thinking of going to sand docks in the morning any ice info for that area

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:39 PM »
It's that small crack that has been there all season and is pretty typical.  You can see the tracks where most people cross. It's sort of a non-issue but worth mentioning this time of year as it can open up.   My buddy had to work on the lakeshore  today and said there was guys out there fishing.

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2014, 12:29 PM »
The plank is there and the fishing was hot Friday.

2.5 hours netted us 33 keepers. MIGHT go for one last trip tomorrow morning, thinking next weekend you'll need a boat to get to the good ice.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave went out this morning got 10 that creek crossing is really opening up bring your waders after that 18 inches of good ice

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:34 PM »
There is more than one way on the lake. Quads were crossing the crack with no problem. Sand docks is the worst place to get on. I can't get enough of the late ice were done posts. In December it would be considered good to go. There is still more ice out there than i have seen in years. Plus it's black and hard. Had at least 17" on tape even right in front of channel. Did not hammer them today but it was still good. It will be a walking game  soon  but not yet. Drop the hammer it's time for action.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I agree ice is great I'm just saying that access point will probly be no good after tomorrow

Offline KayakCam11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I agree ice is great I'm just saying that access point will probly be no good after tomorrow

Second this.  The board was BROKEN on Saturday afternoon.  Crack was about 5' across, with ice bergs in the middle.  Go south, and you can get on.

Offline GenooC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I got on the ice at the Clipper today.  The shore ice is good on the west side of the Clipper and also at the boat launch.  Guys were taking quads out from Cottage Grove.  Still good ice on the lake. 

I did good enough today that I will feel good if today was the end of the season.  But, I did good enough today that it would not take a lot for me to skip work tomorrow or Friday and get another day in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.