Author Topic: Polar therm tip up trip settings  (Read 6094 times)

RAY_A.

Polar therm tip up trip settings
« on: Nov 04, 2002, 06:25 AM »
does anyone know how to set the trip setting for very light bites lost instructions cant figure it out----

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

Re: polar therm tip up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2002, 08:48 AM »
Ray,
   I believe that for the lightest bite you should lower the shaft all the way down, then set the spinner so that it spins down the flag. Like i said i think this is how it goes but someone else on here might be able to correct me.

Brother#3

RAY_A.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2002, 08:09 AM »
thanks i appreciate it

DaveW731

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2002, 09:31 AM »
I think the trip mechanism on the polar therm spinner is like the other polar tip ups, i.e.,  there is a smooth side and a side that is notched.  If that is correct, then the lightest possible setting is to set the flag underneath the smooth side, spinning  towards the flag.  the next lightest setting is to set the flag under the smooth side, but spinning AWAY from the flag.  

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2002, 10:27 AM »
Dave is correct.  The lightest setting is setting the flag on the smooth side with it sliding toward the flag.  Next lightest setting would be smooth side sliding away from the flag.  You also can fine tune this setting depending on how high or low you have the shaft lowered.  The lower you have the shaft the lighter the setting and the higher the shaft the heavier the setting.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

Re: Polar therm tip up trip settings
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2002, 03:49 PM »
I thought someone would know for sure. I knew that having the shaft all the way down was right, but why would it be lighter if the spinner went toward the flag. If it spins away from the flag it would be under less tension then going up the flag. Your probably right about it, but if you think about it it doesn't make sense.
                                       Brother #3

DaveW731

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2002, 06:22 AM »
Brother:
With the shaft all the way down, the spinner has to go "uphill", if it is set to spin away from the flag end and towards the spring end.  Also, the spring end has no "give" to it, while the flag end does, at least with the original polar tipups.  As a result, the flag end will flex down as the spinner turns, thereby decreasing the resistance.  The attached end is fixed, therefore the spinner actually has to bend the flag pole itself, in order to trip.  Again, my experience is with the original Polar, but when I set it both ways and then pulledd the line by hand to trip the flag, the difference between the two sets was noticable.  

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2003, 08:50 AM »
yes that what the instructions say

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.