Author Topic: RE: Greenbriar Ice conditions  (Read 3062 times)

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
RE: Greenbriar Ice conditions
« on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:44 AM »
It's a little soon to be reporting good ice, but having moved south from New England this past summer and living about 10mins away from Greenbriar,  I will be happy to report ice conditions.

Of course I will need to fish at least  one day before I report.  Can't have everyone come at once.

FLAG!

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Re: RE: Greenbriar Ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:10 PM »
I would bet its locked up but probablly not safe yet.  Maybe Ill take a ride over tmrw and check it out. 

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Ima getting my tackle ready---spikes r in the frig😄
I never lost a little fish----spurcollector

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Crossed fingers....  Maybe by last week of January we will have safe ice.

Offline Natefisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:29 AM »
With this temps fluctuating so bad its hard to say
Being a river rat is fun when you have grown up fishing most of your life

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I took a day trip yesterday to Deep Creek and Savage Res.  Again not being from here wanted to get to know my local waters.  Bad new Savage had very little ice.  None was safe. 

Great news is that Deep creek did have fishable ice.  About 2.5inches.  I'm looking to go out fishing there tomorrow.  I figured that with last night and tonight temps at Deep creek being about 2-3degrees, another 1/2in will be formed by 6am.

Is it true that you can't use live Bait in Deep Creek or any MD waters?   I'm not exactly sure how my traps will be effective without live bait.

FLAG!

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:39 AM »
I don't think so.  If that was the case, tip-up fishing would be a bummer.  Also, if that was the case, I have violated the law many times.😬😁😁

Offline Raptor22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:37 AM »

Is it true that you can't use live Bait in Deep Creek or any MD waters?   I'm not exactly sure how my traps will be effective without live bait.

Live bait is allowed on Deep Creek (http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/). You can have up to 5 lines in the water (any combination of rods and tip-ups). Most people recommend Nicklows for your ice fishing bait and tackle needs (https://www.nicklowswholesale.com/).

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Nicklows closed on Sundays :-( Bill's at DCL open.

Be careful!

Offline peribonca

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I don't recommend Savage River Reservoir because water levels fluctuate a lot in winter. Had a buddy a few years ago who walked out on the ice and found there was 20 inches of air between the bottom of the ice and the water... almost sh*t his pants.

Offline Natefisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:46 PM »
That is what u would call a,bad day on cloud 9 lol
Being a river rat is fun when you have grown up fishing most of your life

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Live bait is allowed on Deep Creek (http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/). You can have up to 5 lines in the water (any combination of rods and tip-ups). Most people recommend Nicklows for your ice fishing bait and tackle needs (https://www.nicklowswholesale.com/).

PERFECT.  This is very helpful. Thank you.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I don't recommend Savage River Reservoir because water levels fluctuate a lot in winter. Had a buddy a few years ago who walked out on the ice and found there was 20 inches of air between the bottom of the ice and the water... almost sh*t his pants.

Good to know.  I did check it.  Seems like it might be one of the last places to fully lock up.  But i will take your advice.  I will not ice fish there.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Heading to Greenbrier on Sunday I think. Anyone been out? I would imagine the ice is getting decent after so much cold and so little snow.

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:57 AM »
It's good to go.
Y'all catchin?

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Agreed.  I found 4.5 - 6inches from the boat launch to the large rock on the right side of the dam.   

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Spent a couple of hours out there today. 8” of the hardest, clearest ice I’ve ever seen. Would be great ice skating. You could drive a car out there and it was still making more ice (very audibly). Probably 15 people fishing but I didn’t see anyone catch a fish in two hours. I was marking some on my flasher but nothing wanted to bite. Still a great time.

Offline Mac58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I was also out at Greenbriar on Sunday.  Fished with a couple of buddies from 9:30 til 2:00.  None of us caught anything.  Only one guy on the ice when I got there.  He said he had been there since 8 and had caught bluegills.  I don't think he caught anything after that.  We didn't see anyone catch anything all day.  As you said Mac, the ice was thick, clear, hard and noisy. One guy actually did get out on the ice with skates in the afternoon and did his thing for a while.  Beautiful day, crisp but, thanks to no wind, pretty comfortable.  One of the highlights of the day was seeing a bald eagle flying around.  Coulda used a few fish though, lol. 

Offline Barnesjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Greenbrier good to go 6" just couldn't find any fish

Offline peribonca

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Fished it last week and got a large mouth on worms off the beach. Got a report from the DNR that they just stocked it with 2650 trout this week.

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:28 AM »
How's the ice hold up?
Y'all catchin?

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Fished it from 1:30 to 4:45 today. Found consistent  4.5-5" of ice all over. There was a pair of guys in the middle off to the left of the dam and a single guy off to the right of the dam. I started in the middle and punched a number of holes making my way toward the overfill drain on the dam going through the 20's to 30's and up until I hit 11 fow, scanning the whole time with my electronics and saw nada. Searched throughout that area (and fished it) with nothing to show for it until just before 4. I never saw any of the other fellas tangle with a fish either. Finally, I made my way over towards the beach and punched a hole in 15 fow and within a few minutes saw some marks. Dropped a tiny jigging rapala down and had fish come in several times and eyeball it then cruise. Same deal with some tungsten jigs. Switched to a tiny cicada blade bait and almost immediately got hit, cranked it up and had the hook pull on a trout at the hole. Tried a bit more and picked up a really nice gill before quitting time. Should've started shallow to begin with but was hoping to find some suspended crappie. Next time...

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:51 AM »
Nice report! Thanks.

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:05 AM »
My grandson and I fished GB yesterday from ~11:00 ‘till ~3:00.  Ice measured a little less than 5”.  Bite was slow but we managed to catch one trout, 5 crappie, a nice gilll and my grandson caught ~2 lb largemouth.  Fished in 9-14’.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.