Author Topic: Pond shiners and dace same tank  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Rotnik

• IceShanty Rookie
Pond shiners and dace same tank
« on: Nov 20, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Hey guys,

I got a great tank set up this year 110 gallons with pump and aerator bar etc...I catch my own dace (fallfish) in a couple local rivers as they're probably my favorite native bait and I don't have many good pond shiner spots. I do have a friend who is gonna hook me up with 30-40 big goldens. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't mix the two species but I'm not sure. I suppose I can put up some kind of divider but have any of you had success mixing the two species? I'm afraid the fallfish are too aggressive and might beat up the shiners a bit.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pond shiners and dace same tank
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2015, 02:33 PM »
They seem to do ok together for me, the ones I get are only about 5" long. I usually catch them in the same spot and the same trap. Only difference is I only get about 6 dace to every 4 dozen shiners.

The perch and kibbies I keep separated from the shiners, they hang together and bully my shiners.

You can try a piece of hardware cloth with a wood frame to make a little divider in your tank. The stuff isn't that cheap for a roll I noticed. And old window screen could be rigged up too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.