Author Topic: Yo "Sparky"...I need advice!  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Yo "Sparky"...I need advice!
« on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:14 AM »
Ok...Electrical/Electronic wizards out there. I recently purchased a power converter (they call it a transformer). Anyway here it is...it converts from AC 90-265V  0.7 amp to DC 12V 5 amp. I am using it to power a 12V DC aquarium pump with a .46 amp draw (quite low by my estimation) Tried it once awhile ago and all was good. Fired it up again yesterday...nothing. Did some research and found it may not have been enough amp output...that 8+ is required. Does that sound right and did I probably fry the thing? Btw...pump works when connected direct to 12V battery. Thanks for all diagnosis.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Yo "Sparky"...I need advice!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Is the polarity correct? Some DC is polarity sensitive and does not work if leads are reversed.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:44 AM »
46mA will run just fine with a 1A output, not sure where you read 8+ would be required. I don't think even having really bad (dirty) DC would have much effect on something that small. Maybe run a bit hotter. A battery puts out the best DC and a power supply will have electronic filter to smooth out any ripples in the wave when its rectified from ac to dc. Have you tried switching the leads to make sure it's not a polarity problem?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2021, 10:48 AM »
46mA will run just fine with a 1A output, not sure where you read 8+ would be required. I don't think even having really bad (dirty) DC would have much effect on something that small. Maybe run a bit hotter. A battery puts out the best DC and a power supply will have electronic filter to smooth out any ripples in the wave when its rectified from ac to dc. Have you tried switching the leads to make sure it's not a polarity problem?

Well, as I said, it worked the first time or 2 I tried it ...red to red, black to black. I also checked it with a multimeter and I'm getting nothing. Is it possible I have a junk converter? Got it off Amazon for $30.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Mind sharing the amazon link, if it still exists on there? It's possible it was just not of good quality. Some parts in cheaper ones will just not tolerate much of anything. I would say it's crapped out and probably not very serviceable. If you have any old electronic stuff laying around you may find a suitable power supply with it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2021, 11:35 AM »
Mind sharing the amazon link, if it still exists on there? It's possible it was just not of good quality. Some parts in cheaper ones will just not tolerate much of anything. I would say it's crapped out and probably not very serviceable. If you have any old electronic stuff laying around you may find a suitable power supply with it.
LightingWill Waterproof IP67 LED Power Supply Driver Transformer 60W 110V AC to 12V DC Low Voltage Output with 3-Prong Plug 3.3 Feet Cable for Outdoor Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1IZYYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_G2ATYPHWED60VPAFPZ18

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2021, 11:52 AM »
If you have no voltage on the output you either have a blown internal fuse or a fried coil. My best guess.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2021, 12:48 PM »
That may only be designed to be an LED driver as shown. They typically deliver constant voltage or constant current and I don't think intended for inductive loads. Some might get lucky and be able to run for a while. How long was the pump running for the first time it was connected? Might be able to take those end plates off and have a look, and probe around. But I'm guessing for them to have the IP67 rating all components will be encapsulated and non-serviceable.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2021, 01:52 PM »
That may only be designed to be an LED driver as shown. They typically deliver constant voltage or constant current and I don't think intended for inductive loads. Some might get lucky and be able to run for a while. How long was the pump running for the first time it was connected? Might be able to take those end plates off and have a look, and probe around. But I'm guessing for them to have the IP67 rating all components will be encapsulated and non-serviceable.

I ran it for less than minute. Do you know if there is something available to do what I want it to. Really appreciate your input so far. Guess I should have asked first. 🙄

Would this work?
Voltage Converter Transformer 110/120V to AC 12V/5A, AGPtEK 60-Watt Waterproof Power Supply Converter for Swimming Pool Light, Water Pump, Outdoor Light, Spotlights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WUARNC6/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_K6H3ABMWT2SP097J152N

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2021, 03:17 PM »

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2021, 03:24 PM »
Probably not. That has 12 VAC output not 12 VDC.

Yeah. I just noticed that. 🤬

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Probably not. That has 12 VAC output not 12 VDC.

https://www.amazon.com/TMEZON-Power-Adapter-Supply-2-1mm/dp/B00Q2E5IXW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=12v+dc+wall+power+supply&qid=1636143913&sr=8-1

Can you provide pump part number or link?

This says 1.9 amps...also figures to be about 23 watts ??? Not sure where I got the .46 amps. Sent you a PM as well.

http://www.marinemetal.com/products/12-vt-air-pumps/super-saver-kit/item/super-saver-kit

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2021, 11:15 AM »
How about a link for the pump?
One post mentions 8 amps another 46 ma.
That's a huge difference.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2021, 11:40 AM »
How about a link for the pump?
One post mentions 8 amps another 46 ma.
That's a huge difference.

The .46 amps was what I thought was the draw of the pump. Can't remember where
Looks like it is actually 1.9 amps .The 8 amps is what I'd read to be the minimum DC output required of the converter. I used one of those online conversion tables. Maybe I did it wrong. 🤷‍♂️

http://www.marinemetal.com/products/12-vt-air-pumps/super-saver-kit/item/super-saver-kit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.